PDA

View Full Version : TS Sharpening service

Brian Penning
10-11-2010, 9:26 PM
How does a sharpening service handle the different blade teeth configurations?
I have a WW II and the only negative point about it is the hassle to get it resharpened.(sending it back to the U.S.).
So I was thinking of switching over to a Freud Premier Fusion blade based on the good reviews it's been receiving.
I'm assuming I'll be able to get the Fusion sharpened at any reputable sharpening service. This got me thinking why can't the sharpening service supposedly not be able to handle the WW II sharpening but they can handle all other blade configurations?
My inquiring mind wants to know http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Glen Butler
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Who says your sharpening service can't sharpen your WWII blade?

If forrest "recommends" you only sharpen your blade with them and you trust your sharpening service, its hogwash.

If your sharpening service says they can't do it. Then they probably know better.

Bruce Wrenn
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Sneak over to Buffalo a with your WWII, and drop it off at Dynamic Saw. They can do wonders, as good as if not better than Forrest, and a heck of a lot cheaper. dynamicsaw.com

Tom Walz
10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
It depends on the equipment and the sharpener's skill. If the have an inexpensive, manually operated machine they can do so much. If they spend a quarter million dollars more for a fully automatic machine they can do much more.

Art Mulder
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Sneak over to Buffalo a with your WWII, and drop it off at Dynamic Saw. They can do wonders, as good as if not better than Forrest, and a heck of a lot cheaper. dynamicsaw.com

You're kidding, right? "Sneak over to Buffalo" ?? :p:p:p

You might want to check a map as to just where Montreal is located...

Jeffrey Patrick
10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I always like dealing with local service people too, but an find that difficult to do for all things. Right now I'm facing the inevitable question on who to go to for sharpening. I've recently relocated to the PNW and haven't a clue as to the quality of local sharpeners. So, I'm interested in that Dynamic Saw shop. Mailing is actually easier than driving an hour for me. Does anyone have other sharpening shops, who support mail-in service,they can recommend?