PDA

View Full Version : Live center adaptor - update

Brent Grooms
10-11-2010, 7:54 PM
I had inquired about and adaptor for my PM live center to step up to 1 1/4x8 threads for reverse chucking here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=148909&highlight=live+center

Well I ordered the oneway adaptor... guess what.. The live center supplied with my PM does not use 3/4 x 10 threads!

Just an FYI.:mad:

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Brent not sure if I got it from CSUSA or Packard Woodworks but I just got the MT2 with 1 1/4" adapter.

Tony Wheeler
10-12-2010, 1:32 AM
this may be what you where looking for this is from craft supplies cat 280-18731"-8 TPI Reverse Chucking Alignment Adapter $28.99http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/layout/in_stock.gif 280-18741 1/4"-8 TPI Reverse Chucking Alignment Adapter $28.99http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/layout/in_stock.gifsorry dont know what happen to the pic

Brent Grooms
10-12-2010, 5:03 AM
I know the MT#2 adaptors will do what I want as far as aiding in alignment when reverse chucking, but I was looking forward to the versatility of workholding on the tailstock.

Now it looks like either I will return the adaptor to Hartville or save a few pennys and get the oneway live center.

Mike Stephens
10-12-2010, 8:35 AM
Does anyone know what the PM live center thread size?

Dennis Ford
10-12-2010, 8:53 AM
The one I have is 3/4 - 10tpi.

Harlan Coverdale
10-12-2010, 9:10 AM
The one I have is 3/4 - 10tpi.

Same here. I have a live center adaptor that steps up to 1 1/4 x 8 for my chucks, and it fits both my Powermatic and Oneway live centers. How old is your live center?

Ryan Baker
10-13-2010, 8:23 PM
Mine is also 3/4" - 10 and works just fine with all the Oneway center accessories.

Brent Grooms
10-13-2010, 9:19 PM
Sorry I have been trying to reply via my phone but having browser issues while on the road.

I tried the adaptor I purchased and it did not readily thread on. I assume that the threads did not match... But I did not think about having something interfereing with the threads. I will check this when I get home and post more info / photos this weekend.

Brent Grooms
10-13-2010, 9:22 PM
Same here. I have a live center adaptor that steps up to 1 1/4 x 8 for my chucks, and it fits both my Powermatic and Oneway live centers. How old is your live center?

I purchased the lathe earlier this year. Unlike many of the live centers that I have seen shipped with the PM, mine was black. I would think they would be sourcing/shipping one live center but perhaps not. If checking the threads on the adaptor doesn't help, I will call Powermatic CS.

Gary Conklin
10-13-2010, 9:48 PM
All of the PM live centers I have seen are black, including mine...

Greg Ketell
10-14-2010, 4:31 PM
My 3520 came with a black live center too.

I also have a jet live center (bought separately) as well as a polished Oneway live center. They all have the same thread on them.

Ryan Baker
10-18-2010, 8:19 PM
I seem to recall that there was a period of time when the Powermatic centers did have a different thread on them, due to legal issues with Oneway over the design. But the vast majority of the centers were (and still are) made with the 3/4"-10 thread.

Ralph Lindberg
10-19-2010, 9:51 AM
Brent not sure if I got it from CSUSA or Packard Woodworks but I just got the MT2 with 1 1/4" adapter.

The one I got (Best Tools I think) does not allow the lathe to turn. It certainly does work for allignment.

I found I prefer to have the option of turning, so I got an adapter for my OneWay

Brent Grooms
10-22-2010, 7:15 PM
Well, in checking things a little bit and scratching my head more than once... I have come to the following conclusion...

The PM live center I have is either a slightly odd-ball thread (that I have not been able to identify) or the 3/4-10 thread lead was incorrectly cut and that is causing the issue with the adaptor starting to thread then locking up solid. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can find a reasonably priced thread die and chase the threads a little and re-cut the lead.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2010, 7:42 PM
Brent,

Did you contact Oneway to verify what the threads are supposed to be? Is there even the slightest chance they are metric?

Leo Van Der Loo
10-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Brent,

Did you contact Oneway to verify what the threads are supposed to be? Is there even the slightest chance they are metric?

There is only one live center made by Oneway, and it has the 3/4 X 10TPI end on it.
The OP could get a regular 3/4 X 10 TPI nut and see if that fits the live center, should be easy to do, and if he gets a bolt with it he can check the adaptor as well.

Here are all the adaptor sizes available from Oneway, HTH

Brent Grooms
10-23-2010, 5:14 AM
Brent,

Ken, I purchased a 3/4-10 bolt... easiest way I know of to be assured of thread size... it works in both the adaptor from oneway as well as the 60deg cone accessory. When nesting the threads from the bolt to the live center, they match but bind a bit on the lead.