PDA

View Full Version : What tools to take?

John Neel
10-11-2010, 6:37 PM
I will probably be living in a third world country for two years beginning in a few months. I won't know which country until close to departure time. Depending on the country, the local wood possibilities range from no readily available wood to some very exotic woods.

I usually work with a mix of power tools and hand tools, but weight restrictions and potential electrical conflicts preclude taking any power tools. Whatever I take has to fit in my two medium suitcases and obviously must be in checked luggage. I have a lot of other items to take as well as these tools. So, the question is what limited set of tools should I take? My initial thoughts are:

a block plane, two chisels, a dovetail saw. I don't think taking a vise will be possible

I see myself making some boxes and perhaps working with some local woodworkers on some projects.

I may be able to purchase some tools locally, maybe.

If I am lucky, I will have internet access and can get Sawmill Creek advice on projects while I am there. Internet access could range from available at my residence to available only by travel to another site every few months.

So, what tools should I take? What size chisels? How will I sharpen? What would I take if I had more room? Can I improvise a vice on site? Anyone know any tricks for a situation like this? Any other thoughts?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

John Neel

Bill Houghton
10-11-2010, 7:00 PM
Just to kick the conversation off: I'd take three chisels, if you have room. 1/4", 1/2", 1" or 1-1/4", the latter for smoothing/paring.

Workholding: aim for a planing beam, long board heavy enough not to deflect under your planing. Countersink for and drive in two heavy screws, preferably brass, to serve as planing stops (I've found one stop point is often difficult - the board will rotate around the single point). Consider a v-mouth-and-wedge arrangement for edge planing; for one example of this, see pages 110-111 of "The Workbench Book," if you have time to track down a copy (your local library may have it) before you go.

In fact, if you have time before you go, read through "The Workbench Book" for clamping ideas in general.

A couple of layout tools, square being most important. You can probably find something to use as a scribe, and even a kitchen knife will make a marking knife if needed.

Depending on where you are, you may find not just tools but working ideas locally; but you probably already know that you'll learn a lot from your new neighbors about how to work with limited resources.

Mike Siemsen
10-11-2010, 7:08 PM
John,
You pose a difficult question. Your most important tools are your head and your hands and you will have those with you. Your chisel size depends on how you cut dovetails, maybe a 3/8 for small things and a 1" for bigger stuff. You can make blocks of wood to hold the chisels and use them as planes if you have to. I would take a bigger saw rather than a dovetail saw, maybe a panel saw, you can still cut dovetails but you can do other things with it as well. A large handscrew would be handy as you won't have a vise. I would throw in a hammer as well if I could, at least a hammer head. I would suggest that you try and make here, before you leave, whatever it is you want to make when you get there. That will clarify things for you. Good luck and safe journey!
Mike

Ted Martens
10-11-2010, 7:19 PM
You might consider taking a bowsaw with blades, small ones can roll up into a pretty small package. Or, buy the blades and the "pins", they would take less room and you can probably scrounge up enough decent wood to make the frames once you get there. I think TFWW carries the pins.

A four-in-hand rasp will help with the shaping. Maybe a coping saw to get started with.

You'll probably need something to make holes with, a small-ish eggbeater drill with some bits could work for that.

Would you be in a place where items can be shipped to you? That could open up a lot of possibilities for needs/wants that you can't bring personally.

Randy Reitz
10-11-2010, 7:44 PM
What an opportunity. Plan to take nothing. After you get settled in take the opportunity to search out local woodworkers and craftsmen. You will be amazed what they can do with the simplest of tools. Use your visits to practice the local language. They will help you understand their culture as well as their language.

Try out and buy local tools until you come to limitations. Order specialized tools on the internet for your own use but plan to leave them with your new friends when you return home. Bring back only traditional, handmade local tools and memories.

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 7:52 PM
This is kind of like the thread I tried to start a few months ago but it came out wrong...

Matt Evans
10-11-2010, 7:56 PM
One suggestion. . .

Your vise. Take a few wooden threaded dowels and threaded nuts You can make nearly anything with these, whether it is a vice, a clamp, hold-down, press, etc.

If you can say what sort of environment you will be in, that may help with suggestions as to what to take, as well as possibly garner suggestions from people who have done either the same thing, or been in the same area and know the local woodworking community there.

Bill Davis
10-11-2010, 8:32 PM
I went through this several years ago but the major exception to your case is that I didn't have the size restriction.

I am located in the Philippines where nice woods are abundant. Also I actually was here for a year to get the lay of the land and being without my tools for that time through caution and expense to the wind.

The result is I put my whole garage tool set into a 20' container and now have it here. I'm not sorry but am now facing the need to ship it all back. I know that when I return to Colorado I'll want my Unisaw, 8" jointer, bandsaw, drum sander, drill press, and other electrical hand tools. I did also ship a 230-115 volt 3kw transformer for 115v tools but most were already wired for 230. In addition to shipping the tools back I made a workbench with a 4" thick slab top and just completed a wood drier (Refer kiln) I'd like to take back.

All that to say I'm not sure what you should take. Kind of depends on what you can and will do wherever you go. There are craftsmen everywhere and a lot to learn from them.

I liked Mike's comment "Your most important tools are your head and your hands.."

Pat Barry
10-11-2010, 8:47 PM
I would want to take a couple simple carving tools including a high quality chip carving knife and a small sharpening stone. Nothing big for sure. Keep it lightweight and portable. Use the time to learn a new process - carving. When you get back you will have learned how to do great carving work to accent your future furniture projects.

Steve Friedman
10-11-2010, 9:13 PM
I love Randy's idea - go local!

Otherwise, except for one knife and a way to sharpen it, you should only bring the parts of tools that you can't make yourself. Without handles, saw, chisel, and knife blades take up very little room. Same for drawknife, froe, and axe to convert trees to boards.

You shouldn't need any measuring or hammering tools since you can make story sticks and mallets. If you're game, you could even forego the planes, just bring the blades, and make some woodies once you're there.

Steve

Marv Werner
10-11-2010, 9:24 PM
Pack all the tools you want and need in a substantial container. When you know where you are going, ship it UPS or Fed Ex.

Marv

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 9:31 PM
I certainly would bring some western tools - you never know what kind of value they might have to the local carpenters- they might bring in some good lumber in trade, or even the local tools.

Bill Rusnak
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Here's a few more suggestions for you. Two Grammercy holdfasts and a medium sized brace with at least a 3/4" auger bit. Once you get something to serve as a workbench, put a planing stop in the top or on the left end (if you're a righty) and a chrochet on the front edge and you should be good to go for the majority of your clamping needs. Maybe get a few DIY handscrew kits and assemble them with local wood.

I couldn't even begin to narrow down a list of tools, but Adam Cherubini wrote a great article a few years ago that has a pretty good list of must haves...http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/18th-century_Tools_for_Every_Shop/.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted. Not sure where in the world you're heading but always check your six and remember 1*.

Bill

Dan Carroll
10-12-2010, 12:39 AM
I will probably be living in a third world country for two years beginning in a few months. I won't know which country until close to departure time. Depending on the country, the local wood possibilities range from no readily available wood to some very exotic woods.

I usually work with a mix of power tools and hand tools, but weight restrictions and potential electrical conflicts preclude taking any power tools. Whatever I take has to fit in my two medium suitcases and obviously must be in checked luggage. I have a lot of other items to take as well as these tools. So, the question is what limited set of tools should I take? My initial thoughts are:

a block plane, two chisels, a dovetail saw. I don't think taking a vise will be possible

I see myself making some boxes and perhaps working with some local woodworkers on some projects.

I may be able to purchase some tools locally, maybe.

If I am lucky, I will have internet access and can get Sawmill Creek advice on projects while I am there. Internet access could range from available at my residence to available only by travel to another site every few months.

So, what tools should I take? What size chisels? How will I sharpen? What would I take if I had more room? Can I improvise a vice on site? Anyone know any tricks for a situation like this? Any other thoughts?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

John Neel
Interesting question. I think I would want to take those things that I can make tools with to max out what I could do later. Things like a couple of plane floats, a small, but good square, a good steel rule, a couple of plane irons in different widths. As space allows add paring tools and sharping stones.

Sam Takeuchi
10-12-2010, 4:07 AM
I don't think sending items via FedEx, UPS, post or any other means is a good idea. Also, trying to buy over internet and have items shipped to your destination may not be a good way, either.

Here is the issue. Outside of developed countries are rife with unreliable law enforcement and intricate system of bribing. If you do send items over and pass through customs, they may take your tools for hostage while they demand some kind of bogus 'fee'. If the value of the goods are low, probably they don't bother, but that really depends on the crook customs officer who happen to have his hands on your package. It doesn't really matter if you bought it in your country and already paid tax for it, whatever country you go to wants a cut for the value of the item. It's just that countries of shady repute tend to give people at the bottom quite a bit of freedom when it comes to enforcing the law, sadly you may have to play by their rules and answer to their demand even if it's not in the law. Because they got your stuff as hostage.

Also if you buy items on the internet, shipping fee can be stiff. For example, I live in Russia now, if I were to order a plane, say, No. 4 from the US, shipping for this one particular item comes to about $40 to $45 using USPS. FedEx, UPS, DHL would of course go a bit higher. That's without the price of the item. Getting it from England doesn't make it a whole lot better at all. So depending on your destination, it could be an extremely expensive task.

Normally bringing goods (in your case, tools) in person through border normally allow generous customs allowance, a lot more than through post or courier service. But it's unrealistic to bring, say, 50kg of tools through check-in luggage. So probably you should consider bare essential and take what you can survive on for basic woodworking. Supplying tools locally may be a good way to go, but even in so-called third world countries, there are places where you can buy crap tools, so you should be critical of the tools you come across just like you do back in the US.

All in all, moving with your tools is really difficult. If you are moving there temporarily, I really think you shouldn't take any more than you really need. Experience like that can really leave you feeling bitter. I had to do it once, and I had to bribe my tools out, paying close to half the total value of my hand tools (had to pay $1000 in bribe to get them out. Of course no receipt or paper trail on this transaction).

Well, other than that, take a few basic tools and see where they'll take you.

Ed Harrison
10-12-2010, 9:11 AM
I think I'd take a Record 044 (with cutters), a Stanley 39 3/8", and a Millers Falls 85 - those are plough, dado and rabbet planes, plus a few carving chisels, in addition to the two bench chisels, block plane and dovetail saw. You can get a lot of case and cabinet work done with that. If it t'were me, I'd take my wide Norton Lily White Washita stone, figuring it would be the closest to one-stop shopping for sharpening and I could work to a razor's edge that would shave hair right off that stone. If I could possibly squeeze one more in, maybe a coarse india stone. I'd sacrifice clothes space for tool space, figuring you could always buy clothes, especially since it's a weird situation where you don't know where you're going until the last minute.

Derek Cohen
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
....... a block plane, two chisels, a dovetail saw. I don't think taking a vise will be possible

I see myself making some boxes .....

Hi John

For boxes ....

In addition to a dovetail saw ...

I'd add two extra blades to the blockplane - one with a high bevel for smoothing, and another with a moderate camber for roughing. The Veritas LA block plane would be ideal as you can add a tote and knob and convert it into a small #3 size plane.

3 bevel edge chisels: 1/8, 1/4, and 3/4" for dovetails

A small plough, such as the Record #43 (comes with 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" blades) for grooving and small rebates.

A few marking tools: 6" double square, small cutting gauge (e.g. tiny double ended Veritas). Angles can be judged by eye.

Try and fnd room for two small F-clamps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary Newland
10-12-2010, 8:30 PM
This is a first time post from a long time lurker. Before you decide what to take, you may want to take a look at a book called "How to Make Carpentry Tools" An illustrated manual by Aaron Moore with Musaemura Sithole. It was written to assist in the making of tools in developing countries from locally available materials.

Gary

Matt Lau
10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I second Gary's suggestion.

And I'd like to add some of my own:

Depending on where you go, you may find it downright impossible to find a decent saw, plane, sharpening stone. Chisels can be improvised, as can marking blades and most else.

I'd highly recommend bringing some folding Japanese saws (from Silky) with spare blades. They'll serve you well, and allow you to do decent work even without vise or bench. They're also portable, and far better than most saws in some of these third world countries.

Secondly, I'd recommend a good sharpening stone. While it's fairly easy to get a coarse Carborundum stone pretty much anywhere, it's very hard to find the proper stones to get the final sharpening aside from Japan/USA. Of course, you could just lug some sandpaper or diamond paste.

Lastly, I'd bring one or two planes. Nothing fancy, but what you like to use. I've found that it's very hard to get a hand plane that really works. For me, I'd bring over a Muji plane, since I won't cry if it's stolen.

Of course, some people would argue that all you need is a good knife and some ingenuity.

george wilson
10-13-2010, 8:55 AM
As suggested,you may not be able to get other than the worst Chinese junk in a poor country. I'd certainly take tools like chisels that you need to be of decent quality. You could take a plane iron or 2 and make wooden bodies for them,like simple Krenov ones. There should be room for a steel rule. You could make wooden squares on site.

A saw would be useful. Possibly a Japanese type to save space,and to serve as a back,crosscut,etc. Not the greatest thing to have 1 saw,but one without a back would restrict you less.

john brenton
10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Which country are we talking about?

jim goddard
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
You certainly don't want to take anything you're not willing to lose.

george wilson
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
He doesn't know till he leaves which country.

john brenton
10-13-2010, 4:25 PM
Ahh, thanks. Clearly I am exposed as the skimmer and scanner that glosses over the answers to my questions.

He doesn't know till he leaves which country.

Marv Werner
10-13-2010, 5:12 PM
I recommend you follow what Sam Takeuchi has suggested. Sounds like excellent advice.

Marv

Gary Radice
10-13-2010, 7:51 PM
What an interesting question!

I have no experience in third world countries but Sam's advice has the ring of truth. Don't take anything you aren't willing to lose. I also like to travel light so I'd plan for that as far as I could.

A plane and a couple of chisels sound like a good idea. A wood plane would save weight. I'm not sure a dovetail saw is the best saw: perhaps some bow saw blades (cross cut and rip) and then make the wood parts of the bow saw when you get there? Maybe a scrub plane instead of a block plane?

I would not take a vise: way too heavy. Instead I think I'd learn how to make a shavehorse. You could probably make one with a saw and chisel.

Tape measure and marking gauge? Maybe a file to keep your saw blades sharp?

Love to hear other suggestions.

Rich Purdum
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
This sort of reminds me of "The Time Machine" movie where Rod Taylor went back in time to save the world, taking some things to help him. IRRC, he pulled a book from his library but it was never disclosed which title. You might want to consider a reference book of some sort in your list of "tools". The good news is you'll be coming back!

I suppose one factor will be what type of raw material you'll have access to. Once you get your destination worked out, I'd look at what night be available locally. For example, if all you'll have is rough timbers that's one problem. If you'll have rough dimensioned lumber that's another.

Enjoy your adventure.

jim goddard
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
The corollary is don't buy anything while you're there you wouldn't mind leaving behind.

John Neel
10-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have quite a few new ideas and support for some of what I have thought. Self made tools and jigs would be a great way to save space. Locally purchased tools are also possible depending where I go.

I think the most surprising idea was the wood screws and nuts. I hadn't thought of that but I can do it.

Depending on the reliability of mail, I may be able to have some small tools sent to me.

I will know before I go whether the country is metric or not. I would really like to work with some local woodworkers if possible and should thus plan for whatever measuring system is used there.

I like the "learn to carve" suggestion. I have never done any serious carving and it intrigues me. A roll of carving tools would not be too large.

Several years ago I watched a young carpenter/woodworker repair a door jamb in the hotel where I was staying in Tanzania. Each room in the hotel was half of a circular building with its own exterior door. The door jamb was either rotted or termite damaged for about the first foot up from the concrete doorway. He had a saw, plane [about a number 5], hammer, nails, and a board that was oversize in all three dimensions. He cut the bad wood out, laid the board on the concrete sidewalk, and planed it while using a sort of curb stone to the sidewalk as a stop to brace the board. It was a very good repair. When I saw the painted result the next day I was very impressed with his skills in the situation. I hope to find some craftsmen like him to exchange ideas and skills with. It must be a different thing to do such work as a vocation with such restricted tools rather than as a hobby with just about anything I need as a tool.

It's getting interesting as I get closer to a departure. I will post more information to this thread when I get it and see if you have any more good ideas and suggestions for me.

Thank you again to all who posted.

John Neel

Ed Harrison
10-16-2010, 12:27 PM
If you take up carving, you might want to look at that little honing system that Flexcut (http://flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=974&category_id=95) sells - it is pocket-sized and contains all the common profiles and honing compound - I love that thing for keeping carving tools honed as you work.

I know a very accomplished wood carver who learned carving while living overseas while his parents did missionary work. The nature of his evolution as a carver taught him the ability to do a great deal with just a few tools.

Charles McKinley
10-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi John,

I was in Paraguay for about 2 years with the Peace Corps. I took way too much stuff. With the restrictions from the airlines now it would be much harder.

I wish the WW bug had bitten me earlier. There was a Wheelwrigh in the little town my counterpart was in.

You will be amazed at what can be done with a chainsaw. The corner post and 2x4s for my house were cut out freehand by a man with little more than a chaulk line and a Sthil.

As mentioned don't take anything that will really bother you if it is stolen. Also the customs office is to be avoided if possible, especially with less than stellar language skills, you RICH AMERICAN YOU! ;)

I like the LV block plane with totes ides and the folding japaneese saws. I think you may be suprised at what you can buy when you get there. I would probably go scary sharp for sharpening, but take at least one stone with you.

I also like the idea of the make your own tool books. Local craftsmen are very resoursceful and if you can shows them an idea they can probably make it.

I would love to hear more details, what you plan on doing, organization, etc.

If I can find them I will scan and post pics of my house.

Good luck in your quest if I don't get to talk with you again.

Here is a site that has a lot of interesting apropriate technology books. http://www.lindsaybks.com/

John Neel
09-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I started this thread almost a year ago. I have more details and questions now so I am attempting to revive the thread. In the insanity of old age, 67, I have volunteered, with my wife, for the peace corps. We are stationed in south africa in a rural village about 1 1/2 hour drive from Polokwane in Limpopo province. There is a local equivalent of a home depot where the clerks don't know what a hand plane is although they do have power tools, Ryobi. The only tool I brought w me are a swiss army knife and a leatherman. I can get chisels @ the store. Our living quarters are two rooms, kitchen and bedroom. Some of the drawers in the cabinets in the kitchen are missing a rail so I have some woodworking to do! Is there anyone here who is knowledgeable of South Africa and might advise me on tools?My net access is on aa blackberry with thumb keyboard. Corrections are not always easy and it takes loner to type.

Jim Koepke
09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
You may want to start searching for second hand stores.

Ask the locals. South Africa may be one of the places where poverty did not bring tools into the area.

Is shipping from the U.S., England or Australia out of the question?

I recall this thread and thought you would be taking tools with you.

A few saws and a few planes should get you set up well.

If there are any material suppliers for metals, you could possibly make your own tools and work with any locals who are interested to do the same.

Make a few saws and then some Krenov type planes.

jtk

Dewald van Lamp
09-19-2011, 3:05 AM
I do not know the area where you find yourself, but getting handtools here in S.A. is difficult.

I have had good service with this firm in Johannesburg (they are also in Cape Town.)

http://www.hardwarecentre.co.za/web/

They stock Lee Valley/Veritas tools.

Not cheap, but they are the only source as far as I know.

Good luck..!

Georg Zudoff
09-19-2011, 5:34 AM
Hello John,

If you will stay in Ukraine, you will be able to find a lot of good old tools on the local fleamarkets. Also there are enough wooodworkers with great reputation and well known too. For example this man who was born with a plane in a hand http://www.woodenstudio.com/

So, if you will come here in Ukraine, don't worry, all be OK.

Regards,
Georg.

Terry Beadle
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I would take a ryoba instead of a dovetail saw. The foldable japanese saws are a good suggestion.

I would also suggest a micrometer. With it you can make straight edges, squares, and do dimension checks. It can be pressed into service as a marking gauge too but it would be more practical to make your own marking gauges.

I would take a two sided water stone, 1000/6000 ~ 8000 in my luggage.

I recommend you print out Jim Cummings cam clamps article and take it with you. http://books.google.com/books?id=pPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Jim+Cummings+%2Bclamps&source=bl&ots=NbvJEhsXPn&sig=7jt6fDtw6Yk0-93U-BN4iTt30ik&hl=en&ei=uWd3ToqNDs2Ctgf53K20DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

(http://books.google.com/books?id=pPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Jim+Cummings+%2Bclamps&source=bl&ots=NbvJEhsXPn&sig=7jt6fDtw6Yk0-93U-BN4iTt30ik&hl=en&ei=uWd3ToqNDs2Ctgf53K20DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Randy Reitz
09-19-2011, 7:13 PM
Congratulations on your appointment. My best overseas experiences were also in the Peace Corps.

Reread my original response. It still applies.

Knowing what I know now I would recommend hiring a local carpenter to fix your cabinets or build you a simple stool, just for the chance to get to know him and have opportunities to practice the local language. He would also know where to buy inexpensive tools. Most locals would love to interact with a visitor from overseas, especially a "respected elder" like yourself.

Relax and enjoy your time upcountry. I understand that's a beautiful part of Africa.