PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if its a box....

Ken Hill
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a lidded box or not:o

1.25 diameter x 5 inches tall, walnut and cherry and will be finished out with MOA

I think I will go for a bigger one now:D

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA1667/1043190313_W6HuS-L.jpg

James Combs
10-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Its hollow right? Got a lid right? Well that qualifies as box to me.;)

Dennis Ford
10-11-2010, 1:06 PM
Yes it is a box and a nice one at that.

Andrew Kertesz
10-11-2010, 1:16 PM
I like the form and the lid but the wood combination doesn't work for me.

Trevor Walsh
10-11-2010, 1:27 PM
Ken, I'd say it's a box too. I like the wood combination by the way, though I think I'll like it better when the cherry darkens with age. The only critique I'll give is, I think the base should come in a little add some upside down triangleness to the piece.

Either way nice work.

Trevor Walsh

George Guadiane
10-11-2010, 2:17 PM
Its hollow right? Got a lid right? Well that qualifies as box to me.;)

What James said!

David E Keller
10-11-2010, 2:50 PM
Definitely a box! I'm enjoying your experimenting with things outside of calls.

John Keeton
10-11-2010, 2:56 PM
A lidded box it is!! I kind of like it for form, but the wood combination doesn't do it for me either. And, I will disagree with Trevor on it getting better. The cherry will take on a reddish brown patina, and the walnut will take on an amber hue. IMO, the two do not go together at all as they age.

Tim Rinehart
10-11-2010, 3:04 PM
It is a box in my opinion too.:)

I like contrasting woods, but have to agree the walnut would be better served by perhaps maple...but I don't think the cherry looks 'bad' per se. I have some traditional (aka boring perhaps) views of combinations that work well.
Maple+Walnut
Cherry+Ebony/Blackwood
Osage Orange + Purpleheart (I just made that one up...but sounds good)

There's someone out there who knows how to match up colors best using the color wheel...but it's not me.

One thought for you...this box reminds me of a toothpick dispenser one of our club members shared with us how to make. Just attach a little turned cup attached to 1/4" dowel to the lid...and when you pull the top up...it pulls the toothpicks with it. I'll try to find a pic or take one if you'd like. Just PM me in case I don't see a response if so...this is very close to the shape of it in final form.
Nice turning:)!

David DeCristoforo
10-11-2010, 3:18 PM
Well it's not very "box-ey" but it is certainly "box-ish". Since you did not ask for a "critique" I will not offer one other than to say I like it...;)

Ken Hill
10-11-2010, 4:43 PM
Thanks!

The combo is what was laying around, no thought to it..purely practice!

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2010, 5:24 PM
Ken - nice looking bow! I understand that the piece was purely for practice and as such - you did a good job on the proportions and matching the curve between body and lid.

Only thing I would like to see different is a change of background. With a dark wood being photographed against a darker wood background - you lose all detail of the lower right side of the box.

Looking forward to seeing where these experiments take you!

Ken Hill
10-11-2010, 6:04 PM
Steve, I will break out the reflectors, skrims and more lights:p:D

(I have to get another display area set up, the hunting thing doesnt work with this stuff....now to take more room from teh wife:eek::D)

My bandsaw motor pully belt broke last week when I was sawing up all that walnut I got, and the only blanks I had large enough for my chuck was a piece of walnut and a piece of cherry. Belt should be here soon I hope! The bad part, all the wood I have thats dry is cut into game call blanks and wont do me much good except for finials and such.....but I will start processing larger blanks and what not poste haste!

Tim...the toothpick thing is what I was thinking when I started but realized the blank was too short to get the needed length for it, so I went ahead with turning it to get some practice. The wife in the meanwhile has asked what lidded boxes are and she insists that I hurry up and turn some for christmas gifts, albiet a different form and with more thought into the design. I told her some more tools would help a ton but I did not tell her I had to buy another lens last night for some upcoming work and have already spent enough to get me into trouble deep enough that no lidded box could hide me! I always tell her when she finds out that it wasnt the lens I am saving for $12,000....it tends to calm her slightly:D

ed hoxter
10-11-2010, 7:31 PM
looks like a very nice box to me. ed

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Really nice looking lidded box.