PDA

View Full Version : First Project on New Lathe

Andrew Kertesz
10-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Well, I finally had a little time to get on the new lathe. This is only my 3rd bowl, and my first shot at turning a burl. This was purchased as a Bimblebox burl from Australia. Finish is just a couple of coats of BLO and buffed. C&C welcome... be easy on me I'm a rookie.

Michael James
10-11-2010, 11:24 AM
That's some beautiful wood. The form reminds me of one of those very heavy glass or agate ashtrays of yesteryear... I haven't turned any burl myself, but looks good and I like it!

Tim Rinehart
10-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Remember, if you ask for C&C....

Ok, first off, that's too well executed for a purported 3rd bowl and a burl at that! :p
It's actually a quite nice bowl and I like the natural bottom you've left. Can't see the very bottom...so I'm a little curious how you held while turning. Care to divulge?

Again, very nice...I'd be happy with that anyday.

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I like it! Nice work! I really like the way you kept the outside natural and revealed the beautiful burl only on the top and inside - great effect!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Prashun Patel
10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Andrew-
Nice bowl. Elegant and clean. Nice looking wood.
I'm a newbie too. Keep posting...

bob svoboda
10-11-2010, 1:04 PM
Very nice. That wood really has character and you made it show.

Andrew Kertesz
10-11-2010, 1:14 PM
The chucking method was a bear. I started out glueing 2 - 3/4 x 7 1/4 inch squares of plywood together. I then mounted it on a faceplate and turned it like a bowl to fit the bottom of the burl. I used the tailstock to hold it in place to face off the burl, it was really rough. When I started to turn the bowl section because that burl is really hard and dense it kept slipping. I turned my chuck deeper, went and got some expanding foam insulataion sealer. I wrapped the burl in saran wrap, sprayed foam in the chuck and pushed the burl into the foam. Let it set for a couple of hours so the foam starts to set up. I then took a 1/8" piece of plywood cut to the same size. Cut out a 4" circle and then screwed that to the original chuck. This held it in place so I could turn the bowl section like a normal bowl and leave the outside natural. This should now be clear as mud... Thanks for the positive comments. As for this being my third bowl, you could probably say it is my second as the first one I ever turned was in a "Bowl Class" at my local Woodcraft.

Tim Rinehart
10-11-2010, 1:39 PM
Interesting that you used that...I was thinking about that recently and what would be a good 'release material'. Was there any tendency for the saran wrap to be 'dissolved' by any of the foam agents?
By the way...I'm not surprised it was a bear from your description, but sounds like one of the few ways to effectively deal with it.

Andrew Kertesz
10-11-2010, 2:19 PM
Tim,

There was no deterioration of the saran wrap. Naturally because the foam kind form fits around the given piece it is one time use only; the same for plywood form. I suppse you could turn out the foam and reuse the plywood but it would probably be quicker to cut new pieces. The only unnatural part of the bottom is I had to sand a little flat so it would sit, and of course I needed a place for my name and year!

David E Keller
10-11-2010, 2:48 PM
It's very nice looking and a great use of the burl cap. Pretty good idea using the foam to make a custom jam chuck. How big is the piece?

I hope you keep posting your work, as I think this is a wonderful looking bowl for your third, thirteenth, or thirtieth!

John Keeton
10-11-2010, 2:59 PM
Great work, Andrew, and truly an innovative approach to getting that thing on a lathe!

Andrew Kertesz
10-11-2010, 3:27 PM
David, at the widest point it's about 6" and 1.75" tall...

Thanks John. That's a great compliment coming from someone with your talents. One of these days...