PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop bevel edge?

Brian Penning
10-11-2010, 8:53 AM
How does one make a bevelled edge to a table top? The top I have is rather large and bulky to pass on edge on my tablesaw.
TIA for any and all replies.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wUXGj1sa1KKJcM:b

Prashun Patel
10-11-2010, 9:03 AM
If you have the bit for it, then a router would be my first choice.

If you have to do this on the tablesaw, then make a tenon-cutting type jig: a tall fence that straddles the saw fence. You can clamp your table to this and pass it through.

NICK BARBOZA
10-11-2010, 10:18 AM
A hand plane would do it. Might take a few minutes and some elbow grease... but would give you the desired results.

Good Luck,
NWB

Chuck Wintle
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
a router would do the job. i would make the base fairly large to eliminate the possibility the router will tip and make a mess of the bevel.

Dave Gaul
10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
A hand plane would do it. Might take a few minutes and some elbow grease... but would give you the desired results.

Good Luck,
NWB

I was wondering if that wouldn't be the best idea for a large top, especially if you don't have a router bit for it and have a good bench plane!

Clint Olver
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Put your table top on its edge. Clamp a 2"x2" to the edge (or something similar) to provide a thinker edge to run your router across. Choose your desired chamfer bit. If it has a guide bearing, you're set. If not, you'll have to use a fence guide to adjust your cut.

C

David Cefai
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
+1 for the bench plane. Adjust it for very fine cuts and do the short (end grain) sides first.

Kent A Bathurst
10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Don't pass up a "plausible excuse" for a new tool, dude.

Get this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=59999&cat=1,41182,41192&ap=1

scroll down a bit to see a beveled block attached to the guide, used on the photo of the raised panel door.

Of course, you also need to get a set of Shaptons to go with it, just to be sure your table top comes out perfectly :D.

And then, the HVLP spray unit for the varnish.

And the spray booth.

That should take care of it, I would guess.