PDA

View Full Version : OnStar

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2010, 1:15 AM
My mom ,who is a senior, just got a new Chevy that came with Onstar. I think this will be a good idea for her.
I think the turn by turn option seems awful expensive considering you can buy a GPS for $99 bucks, but may be easier for her to use???

What has your experience been with OnStar? Anyone have an older parent using it, are they able to use it with out much problem?

Glenn Vaughn
10-11-2010, 1:34 AM
I have OnStar in my Solstice and keep it current. I do not have the turn by turn - I have a Garmin I use.

There are a couple of reasons I keep it:
1. Telephone - I have hands free telephone and the car has it's own number that shares minutes with my cell plan.
2. Assistance if I have problems. I have used it twice for roadside assistance when I had battery problems. I also had my cruise control quit on me during a trip. I was in the middle of nowhere in Kansas and a press of a button got me to OnStar who located the nearest dealer , called them to tell them I was coming in then gave me directions to the dealership.

OnStar is simple to use; press a button and you are connected. They are helpful and polite.

I am 68 years old and probably qualify as a senior. I do not find it difficult to use.

It is a bit expensive but is very handy if you need it.

As for the phone; it seems like the phone is much more powerful than a cell phone. On one trip where my wife and I were in 2 cars, I had phone when she did not.

Tom Esh
10-11-2010, 9:27 AM
While I applaud the car mfr efforts, I'm bewildered as to why their use of the technology has been so timid and unimaginative. For example there's no reason it couldn't interconnect with the vehicles diagnostic system. You could get a call like: "We've noticed your milage has declined recently and you may have a sensor failing. Would you like us to schedule a service appointment?".
It's certainly better than nothing but it almost seems like they've deliberately made sure it's not too much better.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2010, 9:54 AM
Actually OnStar and Ford/Microsoft Sync both do have vehicle diagnostic features. I turned off the one on my Sync though and haven't ever gotten around to turning it back on since Sync uses your cell phone and it kept trying to send the report while I was out of service last summer for a week.

Here's the info on OnStar: http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/vehiclediagnostics
And Sync: http://www.fordvehicles.com/technology/sync/features/FeatureCategory4/Feature20/?brand=flm

The Sync page says its on demand, but I know for a fact that it does it regularly--and will keep retrying until it gets through.

Chuck Wintle
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
While I applaud the car mfr efforts, I'm bewildered as to why their use of the technology has been so timid and unimaginative. For example there's no reason it couldn't interconnect with the vehicles diagnostic system. You could get a call like: "We've noticed your milage has declined recently and you may have a sensor failing. Would you like us to schedule a service appointment?".
It's certainly better than nothing but it almost seems like they've deliberately made sure it's not too much better.
its all getting too much like big brother for me! Onstar can even make the vehicle's engine quit in case of theft.

Ben Franz
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
A couple of years ago we had an accident out in the middle of nowhere - the Navajo land on the border of New Mexico and Arizona. Cell service was unavailable and none of the nearby houses had land line service. A few people headed south were asked to call the Navajo police when they reached Window Rock (55 miles). Finally, one person stopped and called through OnStar with no problem. I think the system is satellite based and there are times when it's a winner.

Brian Elfert
10-11-2010, 1:15 PM
OnStar is just regular cellular service, but it has a bigger antenna and more power than a hand held cell phone.

Sam Layton
10-11-2010, 1:21 PM
Hi Dave,

I have OnStar on my Chev truck. I think the turn by turn feature is to expensive for me. I like my GPS for that. I do like the OnStar, and have had it for about five years. It is one of those things that you hope you don't need, but if you do, it is good to have.

It does perform diagnostic checks if you want one. Also, it will perform random diagnostic checks and send them to your e-mail each month, if you request the service. On one vacation we were in Texas and my truck (diesel) started missing, rattling like it was falling apart, and would only go about 25 mph. I pushed my OnStar button. OnStar performed a diagnostic check, told me what was wrong, told me where the nearest Chev dealer was, and told me it was safe to drive to the Chev dealer. They also offered to call a tow truck, and/or notify the Chevy dealer.

I have used it a couple of time on accidents I have seen. The nice thing is they always know where you are. I like OnStar, and think it would be a great feature for your mother. As long as she can push the button, and talk she can use OnStar. If your mother has a cell phone, make sure you program the OnStar phone number in her phone. If she locks her keys in her vehicle, she can call OnStar, and they will unlock her vehicle.

Sam

Mike Henderson
10-11-2010, 1:29 PM
I had OnStar on my car but did not renew it - it was *way* too expensive for what it provided ($235/year).

For navigation, a GPS device does a very good job. For roadside assistance, my cell phone is very adequate. For getting information on restaurants and gas stations close to where I am, the GPS device provides information and my passenger has an iPhone which will do a lookup on the web for the same things.

The GPS that came built into my car has all the dealers in it so all I have to do is ask it for the closest dealer and it'll take me there.

The only value that OnStar might provide is if you get in an accident where you are unconscious and so remote that no one is likely to come by and call an emergency service for you - which is pretty unlikely.

Mike

Ted Calver
10-11-2010, 1:35 PM
Just went back home for a fiftieth high school reunion that had a number of different venues around the old home town (Syracuse NY) and OnStar Turn By Turn got us around town in super fashion. It even got us to locations I couldn't find on MapQuest. We would still be wandering around looking for stuff if we hadn't had it. It's pricey, but we think it's worth it if you travel a lot. There is a feature where you can plot out a rout on MapQuest and send it to your vehicle's nav system using OnStar....very cool.

Tom Esh
10-11-2010, 4:44 PM
...It does perform diagnostic checks if you want one. Also, it will perform random diagnostic checks and send them to your e-mail each month, if you request the service.
Sam

I stand corrected - apparently they're not complete morons after all.;)

Guy Roland
10-11-2010, 4:59 PM
My wife has Onstar in her car. She works as visiting nurse and covers a large area. She loves it. She isn't elderly but is not used to any technology.She refuses to go near any computer we have at home for any reason. so anything she uses has to be user friendly. I love her and you would want her with you in a life and death situation, I've personally been there to watch her revive two people with CPR and keep them going, but don't ask her to set the VCR to tape the game.:D

Neal Clayton
10-11-2010, 5:13 PM
there's OnStar then there's EnStar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9bsy0DOR0

also, don't eat pralines while dey still hot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILviiIs7PMo)

Bryan Morgan
10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Keep in mind your Onstar may become outdated. My friend bought a Tahoe a few years ago and not too long after his Onstar stopped working. The dealer told him they switched to all digital or something and his "old" stuff won't work anymore. They'd be glad to swap it out for a few thousand bucks... He made them just rip the whole thing out and put in all the factory parts that vehicles have without it...

Joe Chritz
10-12-2010, 4:05 AM
Periodically we get calls for accidents from OnStar. Serious impacts trigger something with the system and if they can't get a response they call the local police dispatch center and send someone out.

Very handy if an accident is serious enough to not be able to call and nobody else is around.

It works well if your car is stolen or you lock the keys in as well.

Joe