PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Chamfer Shave Images

Jared McMahon
10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I had good luck at the antique shops this weekend. I picked up a well-used but fully functional spoke shave... that ended up being a #65 chamfer shave missing its fences. Can anyone out there with an intact example send me a few pictures of the fences and how they're shaped? I'd like to try and craft some workable substitutes.

Jared

James Taglienti
10-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I'll take some pictures of one in the morning if someone hasn't already. I think they'd be pretty easy to make out of wood, though probably a bit larger than the ones in iron.

Bill Houghton
10-10-2010, 11:10 PM
If they turn out to be complicated, you might contact some of the tool and parts folks - Walt Quadrato at Brass City Records (don't bother e-mailing him; he's a phone guy) and Clarence Blanchard at the Fine Tool Journal have served me well.

Although the fences seem to disappear faster than the shaves.

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Here are a few photos, the camera batteries died and I have to go to work now anyway. On a side note, I set the camera and shave on the table, went to get batteries, and when I came back, attempted to put the batteries in the spokeshave instead if the camera. I've got to get my head straight.

If it turns out to be too much trouble, I'd gladly buy the shave body from you.

The two fences are mirror images and they have a somewhat sharp curve by the toe, to allow it to still function around corners. I'd imagine that the placement of the curve is critical, but maybe not. I've only had this shave for a few months, and used it for a total of about an hour. It works much better on inside curves.

If you need any more pictures or precise measurements let me know I will post them tonight.

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 11:35 AM
AH-
I grabbed the wrong graph paper this stuff is 3/16 to the square. sorry.

Jared McMahon
10-11-2010, 3:14 PM
Thanks much for the photos, they'll be helpful. My biggest concern is how best to keep them square to each other and how to accommodate the curvature of the sole. But it should be fun and educational, and it lets me pretend I'm a patternmaker.

As to the other options, I'll certainly bear them in mind. I was working under the assumption that fences would be much harder to find than the bodies, but it certainly won't hurt to place a couple phone calls.

Jared

PS: Wow, I can use my cellphone to make telephone calls? Who knew!

Bill Houghton
10-11-2010, 5:29 PM
Here are a few photos, the camera batteries died and I have to go to work now anyway. On a side note, I set the camera and shave on the table, went to get batteries, and when I came back, attempted to put the batteries in the spokeshave instead if the camera. I've got to get my head straight.

Just say to yourself, "HAND tools."

Unless that photo is from years ago, you're way way too young to be doing the kinds of things I would do (notice I don't put my picture up - the glare off the white hairs would be blinding).

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 7:53 PM
I know where a pair of fences are but they're for the older style, like the one pictured, i don;t know if they'll fit on the newer shave. Also they aren;t cheap.

Jared McMahon
10-11-2010, 9:53 PM
How does one tell old ones from new? The most obvious difference I've seen is the texture on the grips, which mine does not have. I looked around for a type study but didn't find anything of substance. If you were curious, I can snap some pics when I get home.

Jared

EDIT: The other potential clue is that the logo on the iron is fairly simple, with "STANLEY RULE" in a big arch above the remainder; no notched rectangle or SW reference. FWIW.

I know where a pair of fences are but they're for the older style, like the one pictured, i don;t know if they'll fit on the newer shave. Also they aren;t cheap.

James Taglienti
10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
That's the same logo cutter as the one I photographed. Maybe it has a "B" cast into it?

The textured grip came later. Those are the only two body types I'm aware of, but the cutter TM changed a bit over the years.

Regardless the two fences are for the type you've got.

Jared McMahon
10-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Images attached. Pardon the lighting, I have no good place for taking pictures right now.

Jared