PDA

View Full Version : First Stinger Project

Keith Outten
10-10-2010, 9:44 PM
I had to put my Vampire Halloween decoration on hold today to make a cutting board for my youngest daughter. So this became my first Stinger project with the new CAMaster.

The piece of material I had was large enough to make two cutting boards and I can always use an extra, particularly when it is made from Festival colored Corian.

After we found a suitable font we machined her nickname on the back of the board and then colored filled with Dupont adhesive. The board will remain dishwasher safe with the Corian adhesive. After the adhesive cures it will be sanded flush with the surface and polished.

Mick A Martin
10-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Keith,

Looks really nice, good job ...... I have a question about filling with Dupont adhesive ....

Do you get any voids/air pockets in the adhesive, is there any special method of applying the adhesive.

How hard is it to remove the excess adhesive off the surface next to the V-Carving.

I noticed you machined a pocket into your spoilerboard , looks like 1/8" deep, a good way to a line the material in the corner

Mick

Keith Outten
10-11-2010, 1:09 AM
Mick,

Avoiding air pockets when color filling with Corian adhesive can be done by filling from the bottom up. I apply the tip of the gun to the bottom of the groove and then push the adhesive until it fills to the top.

Removing the adhesive is via Random Orbital Sander. It sands about the same as the Corian surface but it doesn't take long to remove the excess adhesive.

I normally use an MDF spoilboard that is a bit larger than the plywood that I screw to the frame. This gives me a bit of an overlap that provides a fence when I machine the spoilboard. The first pass on the new Stinger spoilboard was 0.050" deep. I left about an inch hanging over the front for clamping along the X axis and for the fence edge.

james mcgrew
10-11-2010, 7:34 AM
the largest cost is the applicator gun for the ss adhesives, make sure the cut or machines area is blown out with no dust or material in it.

jim

james mcgrew
10-11-2010, 7:38 AM
at the end tony was asking for feedback on features and needs, when he asked how many in the crowd owned rotary lathes about 45% of the crowd of 129 +/- hands went up. the look on his and brians face was priceless!!

Keith Outten
10-11-2010, 8:27 AM
Clean all surfaces with alcohol before you use Corian adhesive.

The small glue gun costs just under 30 bucks and the glue cartridges are seven dollars each from my distributor.

The good news is that I can now count myself as one of the rotary owners :)
I wouldn't have guessed that the number of rotary lathe owners would have been anywhere near that high, Tony and Brian must have been shocked.

james mcgrew
10-11-2010, 9:55 AM
i forgot about the smaller guns we have the larger older ones!

Bill Griggs
10-11-2010, 10:09 AM
at the end tony was asking for feedback on features and needs, when he asked how many in the crowd owned rotary lathes about 45% of the crowd of 129 +/- hands went up. the look on his and brians face was priceless!!

They were dumb founded. I think they are seriously rethinking the value of indexers.

Pleasure meeting you.

Bill

Angus Hines
10-17-2010, 2:49 PM
There scratvhing their heads trying tro figure out how to make it a true 4th axis toolpath...:)