PDA

View Full Version : cutting Leecraft Phenolic sheets

kelly logan
10-10-2010, 8:47 PM
I ordered a couple Leecraft Phenolic sheets and I will be cutting them out for zero clearance inserts for table saw. Should I use a bandsaw to rough cut the inserts out or a table saw? What would be a good brand of router bit to use? I hear that the phenolic sheets are hard on bits and blades.

Will Blick
10-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Let us know how this goes.....
what was price of the sheets?

Cary Falk
10-11-2010, 9:51 AM
I have used a bandsaw and table saw in the past to cut them out wit no problems. Any carbide tiped flush trim bit will work.

Bill Huber
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
When I made mine I use the table saw and a plywood blade I had to make first cuts, just a little bit larger then the metal insert that came with the table saw.

I then use the miter gauge to cut the corners off at a 45 so I would not have so much to remove.

I double back taped the metal one to the Phenolic then with a pattern bit on the router table I took off small amounts until the bearing hit the metal one and then made a finial cut all the way around.

I then put in my Rabbeting bit with a large bearing on it and set to down so I would leave the top the thickness I needed. Then made a pass all the way around, then change the bearing to a smaller one and so on until I got it down to the correct size.

I just use a straight bit my hand with a miter gauge on the router table to remove the stuff I have to on the ends.

Now after all that, that you didn't even ask for I have had no problem with the bits or the blade, I still use all of them on wood and they work fine, it really didn't dull them down that I could tell.

164017 164018

164019 164020