PDA

View Full Version : Saw kit - blade not straight, now what?

David Weaver
10-10-2010, 8:30 PM
Saw kit and can't get the blade straight - now what?

Folded brass back, and I've tried the back in every position of the plate. Blade is out of straight probably at most the thickness of the plate 1/3rd of the way back (.02"). The nose of the saw is pointed right about that much no matter what, too. No matter the position of the back.

I've had backs I couldn't solve before on old saws, but I think because they were damaged.

I can use this saw as it is, I'm just hoping to get it right if I can.

george wilson
10-10-2010, 8:54 PM
David: Heed this: Clamp the saw blade upside down with one end of the saw's back held in a vise. Make a wooden fork that is like a wrench,with an opening wide enough to grasp the brass back. Bw twisting the saw back ACROSS it's axis,you can straighten the blade WITHOUT curving the saw's back. Sight down the teeth,which are upper most,and torque the back sideways-like you are attempting to bend it into a spiral drill bit. you don't have to bend the back much at all to get the teeth in a straight line.

I figured out how to do this when making all those backsaws.

David Weaver
10-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks, George. That's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't have come to on my own.

Chris Vandiver
10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
David- You can also use a cresent wrench with some kind of jaw protection to twist the back.

David Weaver
10-11-2010, 7:36 AM
Thanks, Chris. I was sitting around this morning wondering what I might be able to use.

Not in a rush, I guess, I just roughed the tote out yesterday, so I have about 3 or 4 more hours of work to get it in shape and fitted, and I need to wait for some saw nuts from W&S before I can put the tote on, anyway.

Several years ago when I started this hobby, I got about 10 backsaws off of the peebay, and some from various sellers. Exactly two of those were straight, two had been hammered by someone, some had waves that would likely come out mostly by moving the back, and a couple had backs that were bent. I sold the one straight one, and have only one of all of those left that is arrow straight and with no set, I use it pretty much just for moulding planes. It's a beat old disston #4 and I had to joint the teeth completely off and start over, but I wish every saw I got was as straight as it is.

As far as making saws goes, I'd rather make infill planes by a long shot. There is more control to the precision involved in the parts that need to be dead on.