PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye stopper

Jim Burr
10-10-2010, 7:50 PM
Didn't have much time today and having to stabilize this one, it took longer than I thought. I would usually us a Ruth Niles stopper because I used her mandrel, this is a bit of a tall stopper and I wanted to show the wood. This chrome stopper was just sitting on the bench and I do like the stepped look even though it was a screw up:eek:. 4 coats of rattle can then a steel wool knock down.
Anything is welcome!

Paul Douglass
10-10-2010, 8:22 PM
What a beautiful piece of wood. I like the square look you gave it but I'd cut it off at the bottom a little and match it up with the stopper top. Just my opinion and not worth much.

John Keeton
10-10-2010, 8:34 PM
Jim, I haven't done any stoppers, so my opinion wouldn't amount to much, but I do like that wood!! Did you stabilize it? What did you use?

David E Keller
10-10-2010, 8:41 PM
I like it, Jim. I agree that you could remove an eighth of an inch or so and make the base of the stopper match the wood. Buckeye sure is nice looking stuff.

Jim Burr
10-10-2010, 9:32 PM
Thanks guys...I'll see if I can sand of a bit of the bottom. John, it has a lot of fissures and a limb inclusion so less stabilizing and more thin CA fill voids and stop things from flying around!:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2010, 9:40 PM
Nice work Jim! I do like all the character in the wood!

Another vote for having the wood flush with the metal.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Really nice stopper Jim. Wood is something else for sure.

Baxter Smith
10-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Very pretty wood! I should try one of these. Was wondering today how I could use some very small holly burls. Thanks for posting!