PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Pinnacle / LaserPro "Dongle Key" ?

Mike vonBuelow
10-10-2010, 5:14 PM
So I'm a proud new owner of a 25W Pinnacle, but the original owner has misplaced the dongle key.

Online it's looking like $995 :eek: for a replacement set (including the software discs) - but I'm only needing the USB plug-in part.

Any suggestions to get just the key part ????

Mike

Rodne Gold
10-10-2010, 5:18 PM
You can use the GCC Mercury drivers and run it direct off corel and bypass the software dongle issue.
drivers should be at jorlink.com
I have engravelab - Corel is better

Mike vonBuelow
10-10-2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks... very new at this, what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?

What do I lose by bypassing - the use of included Mercury software?
And how does that limit me?

I am using Illustrator and Corel if it matters.

Larry Bratton
10-10-2010, 6:10 PM
Thanks... very new at this, what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?

What do I lose by bypassing - the use of included Mercury software?
And how does that limit me?

I am using Illustrator and Corel if it matters.
The dongle is a hardware device that is intended to protect the software that Rodney refers to. Your not really losing anything except use of Engravlab. Corel is a better choice anyway. As Rodney said, you can download the drivers and bypass the device.

Robert Walters
10-10-2010, 7:10 PM
what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?"

A "dongle" (be it usb, serial or parallel), is a device very much like a physical key for your car or house.

They are used to prevent software copying/piracy.

Even if you copied the software and gave to a friend, it would be useless (locked) without the dongle.

Now, with that said...

There are ways to "backup" the dongle using software.
(The details of which are left as an exercise for the reader)

I'm not mentioning this for purposes of promoting any type of piracy, but for the exact scenario that you are facing:

You purchased some equipment, and the vendor refuses the replace the lost dongle at a nominal fee (~$35). Instead, they want you to purchase a whole new license.

You could even prove that you are the owner of the equipment, and they could confirm that SN:00001 did ship with that software and dongle, but they still refuse to sell a replacement dongle.

The "backup dongle" software would at least allow you to store the physical dongle in a safe place (literally in a fire proof safe) and save you the grief and hassle (not to mention the PITA factor) that some of the vendors out there are doing.

I am not against a vendor protecting their interests, any they could even lock a dongle to a specific machine serial number if they wanted to, but it's their less than ethical practices of instead of replacing the dongle for a nominal fee, they force you to purchase a whole new license instead.

That's like buying Adobe CS5 for $2000, the cd/dvd gets lost/scratched and they force you buy a whole new copy for another $2000. Heck, even Adobe will let you switch platforms (Win <-> Mac) and send you out new media for $25.

Same thing goes for vendors that limit/restrict what computer you can install a piece of software on.

Computers break, hard drives get upgraded. Time/computer limiting software these days is just ridiculous imnsho.

Mike vonBuelow
10-10-2010, 7:38 PM
I've dispatched a message to one of the good people at Signwarehouse, who's a member here at SMC... we'll see what he has to say first before I pass any judgement.

Keith Outten
10-10-2010, 8:29 PM
I dislike Dongles, they are good for the manufacturer but a major pain for the customer IMO. Loss of a dongle can mean having to purchase a very expensive piece of software again which is just unacceptable. I doubt that I will ever again purchase any machine or software that requires a dongle again.

Mike, not that I approve of piracy but there are places where you can get a software replacement for dongles. Like other pieces of protective gear dongles only prevent honest people from accessing software.

Ed Lang
10-10-2010, 9:26 PM
I would like to hear more about these lasers.

Also jorlink.com since their website indicated they have a rep in Richmond, VA, not far from me.

Robert Walters
10-10-2010, 9:47 PM
You can use the GCC Mercury drivers...

Rodney,

Pinnacle's are just OEM'ed GCC ?

Albert Nix
10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Just wondering where one could find the back up software for the harware key. I have two different ones and I am always worring about loosing one.

Gary Shoemake
10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I accidently broke the dongle I had for my Mercury and have never missed it. I really didn't like Engravlab and have had much more success with Corel. The dongle is just an access key for the Engravlab Software. Pinnicle is just a renamed GCC.

Greg Kuzmeskus
10-10-2010, 10:42 PM
So I'm a proud new owner of a 25W Pinnacle, but the original owner has misplaced the dongle key.

Online it's looking like $995 :eek: for a replacement set (including the software discs) - but I'm only needing the USB plug-in part.

Any suggestions to get just the key part ????

Mike
As Mike said he is the new owner of a Pinnacle. I am the former owner.
In fact Mike found me on SAWMILLCREEK to purchase it. I publicly apoligise for the problem that I have given him. Once we get through this it will turn up:(

James Terry
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
The usb "dongles" install something to your system called Smart Sentinel or similar. It always runs and can cause havoc. I dont remember the problem I had but I hated it. Removed it. Havent looked back since. The security key does not do anything with the laser or the ability to print to it, it just keeps their editing program from loading. And their program sucks! I ended up with LaserMaster8 I think it was... Yuk.

Corel is a very good bet for working on the laser.

Robert Walters
10-11-2010, 12:22 AM
As Mike said he is the new owner of a Pinnacle. I am the former owner.
In fact Mike found me on SAWMILLCREEK to purchase it. I publicly apoligise for the problem that I have given him. Once we get through this it will turn up:(

Greg,

I don't feel an apology is necessary, it wasn't you that forced the use of a dongle.

Simply put, happens. We all lose things.
I know, I lost my mind years ago and never looked back!

Mike should probably try out Corel, seems it's a better choice anyway.

Mike vonBuelow
10-11-2010, 9:45 AM
I will be using Corel and AI, so I'm not worried.

Albert Nix
10-11-2010, 9:46 AM
I have lasermaster 8.5 and I like it. It seems to be a watered down version of flexi software. But like I said I am worried that the hardware key will go south one day or I will loose it. So if there is a way around it I wish someone would share it with me.

Mike Null
10-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know of any way around them and I don't like them either but I understand why they are used. I don't ever recall seeing bootleg copies of Engravlab/Signlab on the internet.

I use a dog tag chain to fasten mine to the computer table.

BTW, I dislike Engravlab intensely but must use it on my mechanical engraver.

Robert Walters
10-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I wasn't sure initially if using a "dongle emulator" would be against the TOS or EULA of certain software packages, then I came across this:

http://endlessvisions.com/legal.html

In the world of "dongles" these days, there are only a handful of players (HASP, Sentinel, Aladin, etc) and you just need the correct emulator for the brand/model dongle you have.

What they basically do is listen between the dongle and the installed driver.
Once a dongle is plugged it, it will record the code to a file. Then if you unplug the dongle, the emulator can "replay" the code file, faking that the dongle is plugged in.

Mind you, software vendors are very aware of dongle emulators, and some go to the extent in that if they detect one is installed (or they think one is installed) on the computer, the software will refuse to run correctly.

Be aware that there are less then scrupulous people out there that sell dongle emulators and base the price on the cost of the software you have.

Also, there are some that request you send them a "DUMP" and they will send you back a temporary key to try their software. What this is REALLY doing is giving them a copy of you key (dongle) that they could now sell to all their friends, and since they dongle's serial number is license to you... well, I think you get the picture.

I'm not saying that all sellers of dongle emulators are bad people, some actually what to just make sure their product will work for your needs, as many don't offer refunds even if it doesn't work for your needs.

Do your homework, don't take the testimonials on their website as truth, look for unbiased independent reviews, and determine if paying $100-$800 USD is worth the investment and peace-of-mind that if something happened to your dongle that you have a backup.

Lastly....

Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware)

Robert Walters
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
BTW, I dislike Engravlab intensely but must use it on my mechanical engraver.

What brand/model is your engraver?

Dan Hintz
10-11-2010, 1:11 PM
This also does not take into account "smart" dongles. Dumb dongles will transmit the same code every time, but these days even cheap dongles have a challenge/authenticate scenario that changes the challenge on-the-fly. To top it off, a number of software manufacturers have gotten wise and will delay disabling functionality (or even intentionally insert errors into saved data) for a certain time period after an authentication fails. The software may appear to start up just fine, work as intended, but 10 minutes in (or some random time) an error flashes up, or it waits for you to use a specific function (like print) before bombing out. Frustrating for the end user, but you get a lot of idiot software pirates calling in for tech troubleshooting thinking their crack works but the program is buggy.

Mike Null
10-11-2010, 2:16 PM
Robert

I am using a Newing Hall 350.

Engravlab can also be used to run my laser as well as vinyl cutter but Corel is so much better.

Mark Ross
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM
The supreme court ruled this year on several things regarding copyright infringement including dongles and you can bypass dongles under certain circumstances. Dongles are a major PITA.

I remember having one piece of dongled software that would not run on anything faster than a 286-12. Really? Try finding a 286 running at 12MHz. I was so glad when we got rid of that.

Better than a dongle, I have software that HAS to have an internet connection because my "license" gets "checked in and out of the library" upon bootup.

Sounds like a major PITA right? Not really, I can have my work computer, my work laptop and my home systems all loaded up with the software and as long as only one is running the software at any time, there is no issues.

Ah piracy...kinda like getting the full blown version (not upgrade) of Corel Draw for $25 off of ebay...

Mike vonBuelow
10-13-2010, 8:46 AM
As confirmed by signwarehouse tech reps, and our SMC posters (not that I'd didn't believe them), the Dongle is only required if using the photograv software.

So all is good, once I get the right drivers and such uploaded and set up.

Turning out to be a good day :D :D :D !

Robert Walters
10-13-2010, 1:15 PM
As confirmed by signwarehouse tech reps, and our SMC posters (not that I'd didn't believe them), the Dongle is only required if using the photograv software.

So all is good, once I get the right drivers and such uploaded and set up.

Turning out to be a good day :D :D :D !

Since you don't need photograv, you don't need the dongle driver software installed either, which will save your computer and you some grief. So make sure not to install it inadvertently.

Albert Nix
10-13-2010, 1:19 PM
I am sorry thats is not true, or at least not true for the software that I bought from SW. My LXI laser master and my LXI Master plus has to have a dongle to work. I had the one that had to have an online connection at first but it gave all sorts of trouble and they replaced it with the dongled version

Robert Walters
10-13-2010, 2:13 PM
I am sorry thats is not true, or at least not true for the software that I bought from SW. My LXI laser master and my LXI Master plus has to have a dongle to work. I had the one that had to have an online connection at first but it gave all sorts of trouble and they replaced it with the dongled version

What's not true?

Mike said he contacted signwarehouse and they told him it's not required if he's not using photograv.

I would NEVER buy software/hardware that uses a dongle or "calls home" no matter what. There are things called "license servers" as an alternative vendors can use, but they usually only offer that option to high volume purchasers. At least that is something in my control, not theirs.

Scott Shepherd
10-13-2010, 2:27 PM
I owned Photograv and never saw a dongle associated with it. Not sure where that info came from.

Mike vonBuelow
10-13-2010, 8:07 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's Photograv - since I cant run it yet, I can't tell you for sure what program is not being supported :)

95%+ sure it's Photograv

I'll ask the previous owner to be 5% more sure

Scott Shepherd
10-13-2010, 9:09 PM
When I sold my photgrav, I faxed the info to the photgrav people, telling then I had sold it and who I sold it to. If it is photograv causing you issues, have the previous owner contact them and it'll get resolved very quickly. They were easy to work with.