PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Sawmill Creek

Darrin Davis
10-10-2010, 2:54 PM
Wouldn't it be great if each user could list the tools they have in their shop and have a search feature for tool or machine users that way other users could contact each other about there knowledge of the tool or machine? I bet something like this would be handy for most of us.

Myk Rian
10-10-2010, 3:57 PM
You can do that in a signature.

Steve Griffin
10-10-2010, 4:32 PM
Wouldn't it be great if each user could list the tools they have in their shop and have a search feature for tool or machine users that way other users could contact each other about there knowledge of the tool or machine? I bet something like this would be handy for most of us.

I wouldn't participate in listing my tools. The last thing I need is people contacting me for tool advice. For one thing, I'm such a nice guy I'd probably write each one back a long and detailed sharing of what I know.

When someone asks a question in the format of a forum thread, I don't feel as obligated to share information. If time and inclination allows, I actually love helping others out, but I like the fact that it is voluntary. I also like that when I take the effort to share my experiences with a tool it's in the public eye, not a just PM, and always hope other readers and future searchers may benefit from my posts.

So count me out.

-Steve

Will Overton
10-10-2010, 4:53 PM
Sounds great for folks who are looking for tools, maybe not so great for those who own them.

I have a neighbor who thinks everyone should share tools. Of course the best tool he owns is a $10 Harbor Freight drill. From his perspective it's a great idea.

Seriosly though, the idea of a forum is that everybody shares in the information. Somebody that owns a popular tool would be answering the same question over and over. Better he/she answers the question once, and the person/people looking for the information learn to use the search function.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Keith Outten
10-10-2010, 8:13 PM

Darrin,

The shop tours module that we would like to provide here at The Creek will have this function built-in. It also will include a complete search feature and the ability to list your tools individually and your could provide a description and comments. I don't want to share any more information at this point and I don't know if I will ever get it built but I have a dream :)

Tom Walz
10-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I wish I knew.

I got started cleaning up and found I own 7 hacksaws. Not sure how many hammers and mallets I own. I did just find an extra, old router I used for rough work.

Tom

Marty Paulus
10-11-2010, 11:41 AM
From a security stand point I am not sure this is a great idea. It would not be hard for someone to look up your name, find an address and liberate some of your tools. Sort of like the crooks on twitter. Wait for you to post you are away from the house for a period of time then help themselves to your stuff.

Will Overton
10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I wish I knew.

I got started cleaning up and found I own 7 hacksaws. Not sure how many hammers and mallets I own. I did just find an extra, old router I used for rough work.

Tom

I have a question on the hacksaws ... pm sent. :)

Dan Hintz
10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
From a security stand point I am not sure this is a great idea. It would not be hard for someone to look up your name, find an address and liberate some of your tools. Sort of like the crooks on twitter. Wait for you to post you are away from the house for a period of time then help themselves to your stuff.
Marty,

I would be pretty surprised if crooks could lug the bulky, 300-500 pound items out of my basement... they want light, relatively easy to carry flat screens, stereos, jewelry, etc.

David Prince
10-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Marty,

I would be pretty surprised if crooks could lug the bulky, 300-500 pound items out of my basement... they want light, relatively easy to carry flat screens, stereos, jewelry, etc.

Maybe not the big stuff, but the small hand tools are pretty easy to pawn.

Homer Faucett
10-11-2010, 2:11 PM
Maybe not the big stuff, but the small hand tools are pretty easy to pawn.

That stack of Festool products even has a nice handle and wheels! I agree, on a forum where you are required to list your full name, this is not a good idea.

Myk Rian
10-11-2010, 2:22 PM
Do any of you really believe that crooks are going to fire up the 'puter, navigate to SMC, then start perusing personal tool lists to see what they could steal?

Neil Brooks
10-11-2010, 2:25 PM
Do any of you really believe that crooks are going to fire up the 'puter, navigate to SMC, then start perusing personal tool lists to see what they could steal?

a) Risk:reward. There's SOME risk.

b) Yeah. I can believe it. It's amazing the level of sophistication with which some criminals perpetrate their crimes.

Maybe they're unemployed (likely) and have a lot of time on their hands.

That's what Corrections Officers always say: these people have nothing but time on their hands -- all the time in the world to focus on one thing: how to get out.

I associate my name with a profile that usually included a listing of my tools, but NOT without realizing that I am taking SOME level of risk.

I've just deemed it an acceptable level OF risk.

Neil Brooks
10-11-2010, 2:30 PM
And ... Myk .... all due respect (and from a native of the NW suburbs of Detroit).....

Hartland is listed as having 11,000 people.

I know you're not HOURS from the big city, but ... still ... things do tend to be different in smaller towns, where lots of people STILL never lock their doors, and/or USUALLY leave the keys in the car.

Not in my world. Sadly.

Myk Rian
10-11-2010, 2:42 PM
And ... Myk .... all due respect (and from a native of the NW suburbs of Detroit).....

Hartland is listed as having 11,000 people.

I know you're not HOURS from the big city, but ... still ... things do tend to be different in smaller towns, where lots of people STILL never lock their doors, and/or USUALLY leave the keys in the car.

Not in my world. Sadly.
You wouldn't say that if you lived here.
Last year on our street, we were patrolling with loaded weapons on our hips.
The police knew about the break-ins we were having, and knew we were carrying weapons. They were behind us 100%.
We suspected a certain house being behind it all, and when one of the neighbors told the kid; "If it doesn't stop, I'm going to shoot you", it stopped.
It ain't just in the big city anymore.

Neil Brooks
10-11-2010, 3:53 PM
Sorry, Myk.

That WAS a bit naive on my part :)

Those days may be long gone .... :(

Tom Walz
10-12-2010, 2:12 PM
Didn't get the PM.

Now I'm worried about the hacksaws getting stolen.

Tom

Wayne Hendrix
10-12-2010, 2:22 PM
Didn't get the PM.

Now I'm worried about the hacksaws getting stolen.

Tom

Well I was considering it but then I realized it would be cheaper to just go buy one than to drive to Tacoma. ;)