PDA

View Full Version : New Stanley Sweethart #92

Clint Barden
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I know this has been covered before, but one more time please...

I have zero experience with shoulder planes, but I would like to add one to my toolbox. I can get the SW #92 locally for appx $80, which is half of LV's shoulder plane.

I know the LV would be better, but $80 vs $160 is a big swing for me right now.

Should I get one or no?

Jim Koepke
10-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Clint,

Is it possible to use the #92 before purchase? Second, the one you try should be the one you buy if there isn't an iron clad return agreement.

I purchased a #93 a few years ago and it required a bit of tuning to get it to work well. You can see my post on this at:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

Another important consideration on any hand tool you buy that is supposed to last a few generations is how it feels when you are using it. Double the price may seem like a lot now, but in the long run, it is a small price to pay and will be soon forgotten when the tool works better for you because it fits your hand better.

This is something I mention at the beginning the post linked above.

My comments boil down to this, if you can test drive the #92, it is comfortable and takes an even full width fine shaving, then it may be a great value. Also consider that the blade in the one you are test driving may not be as sharp as is possible.

Good luck and hope this helps,

jtk

Tony Shea
10-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree with Jim in that the $160 (double the price) happens to be a great value in the grand scheme of things. 5 or 10 years down the road when the plane is still operating wonderfully without lots of attention to it you will never think about the extra $ you spent on it.

Having said that, I personally only own a Stanley #92 as well. I have used LN's shoulder planes at their shop in Warren and the difference is night and day, especially in the way the plane feels and handles. That's not to say the Stanley is incapable at its' job, just requires much more attention. The blade is the worst part of the plane (after tuning the plane of course). The blade seems like it constantly needs to be sharpened even after very little work planing. The edge retention is as bad as it gets especially when compared to my other LV and LN bench planes that get 10 times the use. I also had to spend lots of time tuning the plane to funciton the way I thought it should. There were many small issues that added up to a very poor functioning shoulder plane.

I'd hate to deter you from your decision of the Stanley but if I had the chance to pass down the #92 again I would. I'd take the money and put it towards a LV or LN version. I actually think the LV version are a bit more appealling.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2010, 1:00 PM
Having said that, I personally only own a Stanley #92 as well.

Tony, is this one of the old #92 planes or one of the new models?

Though from what has been written on their new offerings it does not sound reasonable to expect miracles from the new #92 shoulder plane.

jtk

Clint Barden
10-10-2010, 1:05 PM
Hmm very valid points. I know in 5 years I won't miss the $80, but right now it means the difference in getting one soon or waiting for a while. I guess you are a right though. I'd rather have it work well out of the box (except for final honing of the blade of course).

I like the lines of the LV much more than the LN. Again I've never used one, but that lever/bar or whatever it is on the LNM doesn't look like a comfortable push point for the plane.

I guess I will wait and get a LV later. Maybe the greenback will pick up a little for a better price on the LV.

Tim Null
10-10-2010, 2:08 PM
I have a LV medium shoulder plane. It is great. I sharpened the blade a while ago and it is still razor sharp. I don't have to fiddle with it, it just does what it is supposed to with little effort. I too wrestled with the price, but hindsight being 20/20 I would do it again in a heart beat.

paul cottingham
10-10-2010, 4:21 PM
I have a LV medium shoulder plane. It is great. I sharpened the blade a while ago and it is still razor sharp. I don't have to fiddle with it, it just does what it is supposed to with little effort. I too wrestled with the price, but hindsight being 20/20 I would do it again in a heart beat.

What Tim said. In a heartbeat.

Its worth the price of admission just knowing you are getting a rabbit plane that is square.

Gary Curtis
10-10-2010, 4:24 PM
Ditto on the Lee Valley. Though they are not giving them away for free.

Gary Curtis

Bill Houghton
10-10-2010, 4:57 PM
Though they are not giving them away for free.

Now, that would be a radical business model...

Oh, no, they (not Lee Valley - businesses in general) tried that in the dot-com period, didn't they?

Randy Briggs
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I have both the LV large and medium and vintage Stanley 92/93. The ergonomics of the LV is the biggest thing for me. I have pretty large hands and I can never seem to get a good purchase on the Stanleys on tenon shoulders (its intended use). This combined with all the other positives for the LV make it well worth the price of admission for me.

David Weaver
10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
IF the $80 is a big deal, just make sure you buy the cheap one from someone that will let you return it no questions asked. Have a decent square so you can check squareness, and know what you're looking for in how it's going to work and adjust.

If $80 is a really big issue, then you may choose to just do everything you would do with a shoulder plane with a rabbet plane and chisels instead.

I guess they're handy for trimming endgrain in a jig, but a sharp wooden rabbet plane should do that, too, and they can be had for very cheap.

I have the LV shoulder plane, the medium. It's exceptional. I don't use it a lot, though.

James Ayars
10-15-2010, 6:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was also wondering about the new Stanley planes.

James Owen
10-18-2010, 3:02 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was also wondering about the new Stanley planes.

FWIW, I bought a newly-manufactured (UK) Stanley #90 several years ago; the mouth was ground slightly crooked. The entire plane needed a substantial amount of tuning to be marginally usable. I sold it and bought LN shoulder planes.....

The new-manufactured UK Bailey-style Stanley planes are nothing near the quality of the pre-WW II Stanley planes; if you want to use them for furniture building, they're very likely to be an exercise in frustration.....

The new Sweetheart planes are not bad, but not all that great either. There are a few manufacturing shortcuts on them that I quite simply don't understand why Stanley took them (other than to save a few cents in manufacturing costs....): the aluminum lever cap in particular stands out.....

My nickel's worth: if you've decided that a shoulder plane needs to be added to your tool set, then grit your teeth, spend the money, and get a high-quality shoulder plane from LV or LN. In the long run, it will save you a substantial amount of money (you'll only have to buy your shoulder plane once....) and a boat-load of frustration. The LN or LV will work exactly like it should, right put of the box.

dave hunt
10-18-2010, 4:24 PM
I have the plain old no. 92 (not sweetheart) and it works great. It has worked great right out of the box. I can't compare it to any thing else though. I only use it to trim down rabbets and tenons but I am very happy with it.