PDA

View Full Version : Hickory? it seems and more wood fun

dave andrews
10-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I picked up a bunch of random lumber of craigslist today. I got a mix of some walnut, cherry, oaks, sycamore, and,

Looking around the net I think a good chunk of the lumber I got is hickory but I would be great to get some confirmation. The boards are 5/4 largest ~15" x 8', and four 8" x 9' boards. These boards sure are heavy!

(If it is hickory I guess I will have to build the turning bow saw kit sold by toolsforwoodworking since that was on the list)
but

it looks like there will be a good bit remaining and I was curious how well the wood works. I haven't seen many project on here built with hickory but this looks like it could make a good bookcase and maybe toy bin. Have I missed any good project posted here or other + experiences working with hickory for ideas.

cheers
dave

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
That looks like hickory to me, but it's the first I've seen it without knots.

When I was in college working at aristokraft (cabinet factory) for spending cash, they took on hickory and cherry (that was 15 years ago now, and 99% of the orders were oak, maple and RTF doors in white) while I was there. Even theirs had knots.

harry strasil
10-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Hickory is a tough wood, almost all striking tools have hickory handles.

James Taglienti
10-10-2010, 7:12 AM
hickory for sure

Andrew Gibson
10-10-2010, 8:59 AM
one more vote for hickory. I have made a small chest out of hickory and really like the way it looks. I thought it worked well enough.

I think there is a post right now in the projects forum of someones kitchen that was done with hickory.

here is a pic of my box. It's roughly 12" x 12" x 24"

Marv Werner
10-10-2010, 9:29 AM
Very nice work....I like how you matched the grain on the corner.

Nicely shaped wood end handles would add even more class to the over all quality. :)

Marv

dave andrews
10-10-2010, 9:29 AM
one more vote for hickory. I have made a small chest out of hickory and really like the way it looks. I thought it worked well enough.

I think there is a post right now in the projects forum of someones kitchen that was done with hickory.

here is a pic of my box. It's roughly 12" x 12" x 24"

Lovely chest you made. I really like the way the hickory boards look and I am hopeful that I can make something that looks half as nice. thanks

dave andrews
10-10-2010, 9:41 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I guess I have a little more idea what I am getting myself into and now I have one more wood that I might be able to identify.

Sure is heavy wood, should be fun.

Tony Shea
10-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Is indeed hickory and a very nice example of the stuff I might add. They are very clear boards, especially for hickory. As David said you have to do lots of looking and picking to come up with all clear boards/planks of hickory. Whoever did the picking certainly found a great source and did a fine job of picking through it. Beautiful wood IMO and would love to come across a local source for the stuff, which is next to impossible.

And great chest Andrew. Very nice job of keeping the continuity of the grain around the corner. That is much more difficuly than one would think and requires some great planning. Very nice work.

Dan Andrews
10-10-2010, 7:49 PM
I'm drooling out of both sides of my mouth. One side for Dave's hickory and one side for Andrew's box.

It is getting confusing around here! This is Dan Andrews responding to Dave Andrews and Andrew Gibson.:eek:

Robert Culver
10-11-2010, 8:37 AM
Looks like Hickory to me I started to rough out the parts to my TFWW bow saw yesterday and I was pretty satisfied with how it wooked with hand tools.Having installed Hickory cabnets and burning up saw blades and drill bits I was a little hesatant to use it but honesty If your tools are SHARP its not a problem. Looks like enough to make a pretty nice project Hickory Is beautiful when It is finished. Good Luck. I would be thinking work bench top but thats just because I need a good one.

Danny Hamsley
10-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I, too, am in the hickory camp, but it might be pecan (which is a hickory). That heartwood looks very similar to pecan that have sawn.