PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy with a DC question.

Bob Johnson2
12-21-2004, 1:13 PM
Hi all, if you can stand another DC question you can help me out. I've read all the good info at other sites as well as doing searches here and at other forums but havn't run into anyone addressing the DC subject when there's a height problem. You folks seem like a knowledgable bunch (which is far from the case in all the forums out there) so I'd appreciate your comments.
I'm attempting to buy my 1st DC after going the last 30 yrs without. I'm putting the system in my basement workshop (25'x25') which has a height of 84" to the joists, this cuts out the cyclone systems and from what I can see all the 3hp bag units. The best I've found so far is the new Delta 50-761 2hp 1 mic job that pulls 2100 cfm, it's a few inches too tall too but I'll make due. I'm figuring that I never use more then 2 tools at a time so the 1000 or so I actually get will be adaquit.
The main input to the 761 is 7" which is what I'd like to run to the central drop where the TS and planer are, has anyone figured out a pre-separator that you can put a 7" duct to?, all I've found are 4".
Any ideas on a DC other then the 761 that'll fit would be great as well as a pre-separator.
Has anyone had luck building their own separator?
Outside install is not an option.
Thanks, Bob

Jim Becker
12-21-2004, 1:37 PM
As long as you understand that the Delta unit you mention doesn't really "pull 2100 CFM", you'll probably be fine...and you seem to have considered that already. You could also go with one of the higher power systems and get a shorter, but wider filter bag for the top from AFF.

As to separation, you'll not have any luck with that unless you go with an add-on "real" cyclone body, such as one available from Oneida or PSI (or shop built). The air flow on systems using 6" mains or larger will generally just empty most other separators based on many, many posts in various forums by folks who have tried.

Oh, yea....WELCOME TO SMC!

Chris Padilla
12-21-2004, 1:59 PM
Bob,

It is a lot more work but if you are clever and have the time, you can get a cyclone to work for you.

"All" you have to do to gain approximately 1 foot is to side-mount the motor and run the impeller with a belt and two pulleys. :D Piece of cake, right? ;)

Still, I don't know if this will do it for you but it is something to chew on.

Steve Cox
12-21-2004, 2:06 PM
The Woodsucker cyclone has a distance to the top of the motor of 86" with the brackets mounted in a downward position. If you can find a place to mount the motor up between the joists you should be okay. www.woodsucker.com (http://www.woodsucker.com) has a dimension section that lists everything. I don't have the height problems but I love the unit.

Scott Brihn
12-21-2004, 2:16 PM
Hello Bob,

I also have 84" to the joists in my basement shop. Check the specs on the Onieda "2hp component" cyclone. If memory serves I think the body fits in 84"H and the motor fits in the space between the joists above.

I use a 2hp bag over bag collector with an oversized upper bag (34"D x 43"H)from American Fabric Filter. This configuration works well from a filtration standpoint but the upper bag takes up too much space in my 13' x 25' shop. As a result I am considering a 35A Series Cartridge Filter kit from Wynn Environmental.

I have not bothered to hook up a seperator. I'm a hobbyist and only fill my lower bag 20-25 times/year.

Regards,

Scott

Dave Harker
12-21-2004, 2:29 PM
I built my own separator with 6" openings. It also incorporates a homemade cyclone on the top - all from two trash cans - here is my web page about it.

I will reorganize my home page in a few months, breaking this link - but the page will be there somewhere - if broken, go to main home page (ending in "harkerhome") and follow links to find it again. Or, print it now.

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/separatoroverview.html

Here is one pic, as a teaser:

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/images/separator/sepall.JPG

Bob Johnson2
12-21-2004, 2:49 PM
Dang, this is great, I new I'd get a couple ideas I hadn't thought of. I dropped the Woodsucker and Oneida folks a note last week about their unit (I've got 2x12 joists so it may fit) but have yet to get a reply from either. I hadn't thought to look around for shorter bags either. And I even get plans on building a separator, very interesting. Any idea if it would work with the 2100 cfm DC? Jim mentions the bigger units can suck the separators empty, something else I hadn't thought about. Some good angles to investigate, thanks.

Dave Harker
12-21-2004, 3:12 PM
I don't think my 2-can-separator will be sucked dry by 2100cfm. The cyclone action all takes place in the top 2/3's of the upper can, leaving lots of space between the lower can (collection area) and the bottom end of the exit tube (8" diam, in top half of upper can).

My G1029 has been upgraded with a 0.5 micron filter canister from Wynn Environmental, and has a clear plastic bag in the bottom half. So, it performs better than stock (the filter flows much more air than bags do). I also made a vane in the middle section of the G1029 (between upper canister and lower clear bag) to direct the incoming air down in a spiral. After saying all that, the clear bottom bag is EMPTY - it is always is empty. It seems all the stuff stays in the separator, since it is very unlikely to all be in the upper cartridge (due to new vane right below canister).

It was a royal pain to build, but nice to have now that it is done.

Sparky Paessler
12-21-2004, 3:28 PM
My shop is only 74 inches tall. I am in the process of expanding it into some of the crawl spaces so in one of them I dug an area out 2' deeper and about 3' wide and 5' long. This will give me the headroom for my cyclone and room to slide the drum out from under the cyclone to empty it. You could cut a hole in your floor and dig down some.

Chris Padilla
12-21-2004, 6:23 PM
Sparky,

We haven't seen any PICS lately! :)

Sparky Paessler
12-22-2004, 8:56 PM
Chris

I have been very bust turning Christmas presents and making mantels and not had time to work on the shop lately. I did get the concrete poured and have been using the space.