PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a sharpening stone like this?

george wilson
10-09-2010, 6:17 PM
This is an unusual sharpening stone I picked up ages ago. It is NOT a scythe stone. It is round in cross section,and is made of the same very fine reddish brown material as some old razor stones. I have found it handy for carving tools,but do not really know what its primary purpose was.

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 7:44 PM
Never anything other than conical or cylindrical. I wonder what it was for.

Carl L Goff
10-09-2010, 8:20 PM
I don't know for sure but it could be used to sharpen knives on a sycle bar for a horse drawn mowing machine without taking the knives off the cycle bar. Just a guess but it would work for that.

george wilson
10-09-2010, 8:26 PM
As I mentioned,it is like a RAZOR stone,exceedingly fine. It's ONLY good for putting the finishing touch on an already fine edge.

James Taglienti
10-09-2010, 8:30 PM
george, maybe it was manufactured for gouges and such... you know I've found some pretty fine stones that were likely scythe stones but none that were truly round in cross section.

Jonathan McCullough
10-09-2010, 8:51 PM
I'm not an authority, but the first thing I thought of was the bevel on all the incannel gouges I've gotten recently.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2010, 1:53 AM
After honing the bevel on an out cannel gouge, there is often a bit of a wire edge on the inside that a fine stone would be good to use for clearing away.

jtk

Dan Andrews
10-10-2010, 7:22 PM
I have a hook bill fixed blade knife that I was told was a carpet knife. That stone would be just the ticket for sharpening that, though a bit larger than necessary.