PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My lathe is dead

Cecil Cox
10-09-2010, 5:48 PM
I have a Nova 3000 lathe (220vac). The circuit board in the controler has apparently gone south. Does anyone know where one could get the controller rebuilt? Don't really want to buy a new one for $500.00, but......

Thanks,
Cecil

Bob Hamilton
10-09-2010, 7:05 PM
Hi, Cecil:
When I shorted out the board on my DVR last year Tim Geist said it could be rebuilt. I chose to replace rather than rebuild since it was much quicker and also gave me the added features of the DVR XP that I did not have before. He said he had a fellow that would rebuild the boards for him.

According to the information in Bill Bolen's post ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149706 ) it seems that Teknatool is moving their North American service center to Florida. I don't know what that means for Tim Geist or whether he will still be the contact person. He can be reached at 1-304-295-8166 but it is best to call before 11 a.m. EST.

Take care
Bob

Matt Hutchinson
10-09-2010, 7:33 PM
Not that it would be any cheaper, but does the DVR head fit on the 3000 bed casting? It may be worth the investment if you can justify the expense. :rolleyes:

Hutch

Cecil Cox
10-09-2010, 7:49 PM
Bob,
I spoke with Tim Geist yesterday morning and he no longer does service for Teknatool, and did not sound like a happy camper.

Thanks,
Cecil

Dennis Ford
10-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't know anything about a Nova but $500 is a lot to pay for a controller. If this is an inverter (VFD) that drives a 3 phase motor, you might consider another brand. I have had good luck with Hitachi VFDs. Depending on motor size, $250 - $300 should buy one.

Bob Hamilton
10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Dennis, the DVR is not a typical motor and the circuit board is pretty much a computer that controls the sequencing of the coils that drive it.

Cecil, sorry to hear about Tim not being the Teknatool rep any more. I have only needed to deal with him a few times but he seemed to be willing to go above and beyond to help me out. I really wonder sometimes if the people at Teknatool have any conception about just how big North America is. One service center for the entire continent seems a little thin.

Good Luck!
Bob

Joe Scarfo
10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
My experiences with tim have been abismal... nothing short of abismal....

Just my 2cents..

Joe

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Bob,
I spoke with Tim Geist yesterday morning and he no longer does service for Teknatool, and did not sound like a happy camper.

Thanks,
Cecil

That sucks Cecil. I like Tim. He always answered my phone calls and e-mails always the same day.

David Campbell
10-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a Nova 3000 lathe (220vac). The circuit board in the controler has apparently gone south. Does anyone know where one could get the controller rebuilt? Don't really want to buy a new one for $500.00, but......

Thanks,
Cecil

My board just recently failed and I was able to get one from www.Galco.com (http://www.Galco.com)

Mine could not be reapired, so I had to purchase a new one--200.00 bucks