PDA

View Full Version : Geo. Whittles Saw - any information?

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I got a george whittles saw from the FTJ newsletter tool sale this last week - I got it because it was complete and cheap, and a style I like so it gives me something to copy. It's not as nice as the groves saw that george "quotes", but it's nice, and it has a nice thin .020 plate on it according to my mic.

I can't find any information on the maker other than that he was permitted to make saws.

I'm curious about the age of it, I'm assuming by the style that it's mid 1800s (london pattern handle, beech, 2 split nuts on a saw 14 inches long).

Anybody know anything about it? I am *not* looking to get information to use to sell it, my shop is a tool black hole.

Matt Evans
10-09-2010, 12:36 PM
....my shop is a tool black hole.

I know that feeling. Just went over to the storage unit where a lot of my tools live for now, and man, do I ever have lots of stuff I had completely forgotten about.

george wilson
10-09-2010, 1:02 PM
Well nuts!! I thought this was going to be about a saw I whittled out.:)

Mike Siemsen
10-09-2010, 1:07 PM
That was my thought too.
George whittles saw! Film at 11:00

Don McConnell
10-09-2010, 2:10 PM
David,

George Whittles was a file, steel and, sometimes, saw maker in Sheffield from about 1847 to about 1870. He is listed under his name, as a file maker, in 1847, located at 19 Union Street. By 1849/50, his firm is listed as George Whittles & Co., at Bi-thon Works, 85 Allen Street, as file and steel makers. By 1852 the firm had moved to 83 Allen Street, still as file and steel makers. The firm remained at this address through 1855 (sometimes also listed as Victoria Works), and began to also be listed as saw makers in 1853. From 1856 onwards, the firm is listed, once again, as George Whittles, at the same address, and as a saw maker until 1862. By 1870 he was involved in bankruptcy proceedings and seems to disappear from the directories.

Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 3:34 PM
Thanks, Don. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Et al, picture is attached. the spine is marked George Whittles & co, Warranted London Spring.

Thankfully, I snapped it up cheap before any of the hardcore best offer ebay retailers did.

The FTJ newsletter sale is wonderful for anyone who can get up early in the morning and get through the listings before everyone else does. This saw was $22, and while it's not hard to find saws in decent condition for that price if you have the right places to look, I haven't found anything similar around here. In backsaws, I've only seen locally a few disston #4s rusted beyond recognition for $50.

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 3:37 PM
Well nuts!! I thought this was going to be about a saw I whittled out.:)

That's your next asignment. Verawood tote whittled out with an old barlow knife. :)

george wilson
10-09-2010, 5:51 PM
That's a VERY nice saw for $22.00. Even back in the 70's brass backed old saws were usually at least about $75.00,I believe. Plus,a rare brand. I never heard of him.

David Weaver
10-09-2010, 7:42 PM
It's arrow straight, too.

I don't know why they sell stuff so cheap, but I got that, and a stanley 46 with one iron and a small chip at the top of the rosewood for $27 to go with it.

There was a very nice flat side bedrock 607 for $135, i almost pulled the trigger on it, but just don't need it. That's getting a little closer to market, but I'll still bet it didn't last long after people woke up.

This was the first time I got up early enough to see most of the stuff not sold out. I was stunned by the prices, and only held back by my lack of space.