Anyone out there know what the "S" stands for? :D

Rob Steffeck
10-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Go Stanford!!! :D

Van Huskey
10-09-2010, 12:59 PM

It for the team named after those people from the Greek city-state. Whomever picked the name may well have suffered from laconophilia.

Andrew Arndts
10-09-2010, 1:05 PM
http://www.donauschwaben-usa.org/msu_flag.gif

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/aharndts67/um_seal_-_color_wowhiteboarder_.gif

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2010, 1:45 PM
Oh, them.

I have a good friend that's a Michigan State Alumni and big fan, so forgive me for not being impressed! :D

Neither of the colleges I went to had Division I teams, but since my daughter and son-in-law went there and we live nearby we have been fans of the University of Washington, which has been awful for several years, but hey, they have beaten USC two years in a row, including last Saturday on the road.

We'll see what happens with Arizona State tonight.

David G Baker
10-09-2010, 5:42 PM
Andrew,
Oh yea, now I know what the "S" stands for. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2010, 5:49 PM
David....could it stand for Sob ....as in whine....or cry tearfully?

Kent A Bathurst
10-09-2010, 5:54 PM
Sometimes, I make the observation that one school is a model of understated sophistication, and the other school is in Ann Arbor.

However, today it seems like Andrew already made my argument for me :D

Jason Roehl
10-09-2010, 6:18 PM
The 'S' stands for "Smelly"--it's kind of like a Mr. Yuk sticker... :D

Kent A Bathurst
10-09-2010, 6:42 PM
David....could it stand for Sob ....as in whine....or cry tearfully?

It could. But not today.

Last time Michigan State lost in football or men's basketball to U of M: 1,072 days and counting.

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2010, 6:48 PM
It could. But not today.

Last time Michigan State lost in football or men's basketball to U of M: 1,072 days and counting.
No, definitely not today.

paul cottingham
10-09-2010, 6:52 PM
Foolishly, I thought of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2010, 7:01 PM
It could. But not today.

Kent......No tears of joy?:rolleyes:

Great game...one of the really outstanding intrastate rivalries IMHO.

Did you see what SC did to Alabama?...............

Myk Rian
10-09-2010, 7:36 PM
The 'S' stands for "Smelly"--it's kind of like a Mr. Yuk sticker... :D
These are license plates I've seen around here.
In Michigan you can get one for your University.

(S)tupid

(M)orons

Kent A Bathurst
10-09-2010, 8:49 PM
...Did you see what SC did to Alabama?...............

Yeah - pretty much impossible for a Mich State guy to get broken up when Nick Saban gets spanked.

Andrew Arndts
10-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I missed it, I was making pens for Freedom Pens. BTW I have less than 20 to go for a shipment of 50 by November 11, 2010. I should have them knocked out by the end of October. IF not sooner.

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2010, 8:35 AM
Did you see what SC did to Alabama?...............

I did, and it was a thing of beauty! :D

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2010, 10:19 AM
And yes, Kent, I realize it was a win for Spurrier. Yesterday was a difficult football day for me!

Bob Turkovich
10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
It could. But not today.

Kent,

And if you can keep doing it for another 13,000 days in football, you'll break even:D.

Well played. MSU played errorless ball. Robinson was making poor reads - couldn't tell from the stadium if it was just bad judgement or MSU revising their defense.

As far as Myk's comments, I think you would agree "It takes one ...".;)

Bob Turkovich
10-10-2010, 1:07 PM
And yes, Kent, I realize it was a win for Spurrier. Yesterday was a difficult football day for me!

Belinda,

Saw your first post and got confused because I thought you were in the "anyone but Spurrier" camp. Yesterday must have truly been a migraine moment for you.

BTW - at the start of the season you described your incredible tailgate preparations - and that was for going somewhere to watch the game on TV! What do you prepare when you go to the actual game? (and do you cater?;))

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2010, 2:43 PM
Belinda,

Saw your first post and got confused because I thought you were in the "anyone but Spurrier" camp. Yesterday must have truly been a migraine moment for you.

BTW - at the start of the season you described your incredible tailgate preparations - and that was for going somewhere to watch the game on TV! What do you prepare when you go to the actual game? (and do you cater?;))

I started the day with that marvelous Dawgs win but was a little sad for Derek Dooley. I've been pulling for him all year. Regardless of what he said in the interviews there had to have been a little sadness in his heart when he walked into the stadium at Athens.

I tend to look at the Carolina win as a win for the team. I felt that Bama was a little arrogant in their complete confidence that they would win and as we all know, on any given fall Saturday your team can lose. Spurrier's boys played hard and with heart. Yes, Garcia made a few mistakes but I still think he proved something to Spurrier. So, I didn't really want to cheer for either Bama or Carolina, but caved in the end and went with Carolina. I didn't even break out my voodoo doll!

LSU and FLA . . . another game where I didn't want to support either team but, much like "anyone but Spurrier", it's "any team but Florida".

I will give it to Spurrier that he knows who to recruit and how to get the best out of his players, but I don't have to like him. :D

It's been a few years since I tailgated in Athens so I'm not sure at this point what I would take, except that Bourbon Slush would be high on the list. I feel certain I could whip up a little bit of caterin' for you if the event is right (read no Spurrier or Florida!) :D

Joe Pelonio
10-10-2010, 3:03 PM
For me, the best game of the day was USC getting beat in the last seconds again, for the 2nd week in a row! Good for Stanford.

Kent A Bathurst
10-10-2010, 4:30 PM
Kent,

And if you can keep doing it for another 13,000 days in football, you'll break even:D.

Well played. MSU played errorless ball. Robinson was making poor reads - couldn't tell from the stadium if it was just bad judgement or MSU revising their defense.

As far as Myk's comments, I think you would agree "It takes one ...".;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......:D

I honestly think the Wolverines were a bit nervous all week, knowing they were finally gonna hit a top-notch defense, and that first-drive-end-zone "Awww Shucks!!!" interception just reinforced it. Plus, State's defense stayed home, let Denard run to them, and forced him to pass - and they were ready for that.

Rodriguez was brought in precisely because he doesn't play traditional Big Ten ball, but he's still gotta be able to strap it on and smash teams in the mouth to win in that league - Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State still to come - ruh-roh. State has Iowa. I won't apologize for missing OSU this year - that's your problem, not mine.

Myk sounds like your typical SVSU fan............:p

Chris Kennedy
10-10-2010, 7:50 PM
I honestly think the Wolverines were a bit nervous all week, knowing they were finally gonna hit a top-notch defense, and that first-drive-end-zone "Awww Shucks!!!" interception just reinforced it. Plus, State's defense stayed home, let Denard run to them, and forced him to pass - and they were ready for that.

Rodriguez was brought in precisely because he doesn't play traditional Big Ten ball, but he's still gotta be able to strap it on and smash teams in the mouth to win in that league - Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State still to come - ruh-roh. State has Iowa. I won't apologize for missing OSU this year - that's your problem, not mine.

I think you summed it up pretty well. I've been impressed by Robinson as a runner and at the short pass, although I think his long pass has been lacking. When he has played very well so far to then go into a game and throw three interceptions, and all of them because he misjudged the throw -- you don't suddenly start making those mistakes.

I missed the very beginning and that horrible interception, but for the most part, I thought Michigan played okay in the first half and I thought the two teams were reasonably matched. In the second, it was like Michigan's confidence was gone, and then the drive that got them going only to end with Robinson throwing a second interception basically at the end zone -- shattering.

State deserved to win. They played exceptionally.

I really question bringing in Rodriguez. I don't hold his first year against him since the team was so young with all the turnovers. Maybe he doesn't play Big 10 football, but seriously, he has to come up with a strategy to win against Big 10 teams. If he pulls out a few conference wins this semester, I'll give him a little more time.

Cheers,

Chris