PDA

View Full Version : Old tool box tools

steven c newman
10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Inside my old tool box are a few OLD chisels, and such. None for working wood, but still usable. Names like enderes (almost a full set), Stanley atha( two small cold chisels) that never rust, a BIG (1") cold chisel from Arrow Tools, with a stamped NYCS on one side. Some socket wrenches with the names of walden, and duro-chrome. Also in the pile is a few 3/4" drive sockets from WWII. Name a tool company from the 40s-50s, and I could maybe even show one of them. Just a picture or two of the "mess"::eek:

Jim Koepke
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
None for working wood, but still usable. Names like enderes (almost a full set), Stanley atha( two small cold chisels) that never rust,

I have one of the Stanley ATHA chisels. Also have a wood chisel made by Crescent tools. It is a one piece chisel with even the handle made of steel. Some of the old mechanics tools are much better than most of the stuff that you see today.

jtk

David G Baker
10-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Many of my tools are from the same time period, I don't use them too often but they are there when I need them.

Dan Andrews
10-09-2010, 4:42 PM
Looks like a lot of good stuff in that box. At one point I had a lot of old tools I didn't think I would use, so I stored them upstairs in my garage on shelves. Eventualy I took the time to clean them up, sharpen those that needed sharpening and oiled those that needed oiling. Most importantly I brought them downstairs and organized them to the extent that I could find them easily. It Has amazed me how often I now use these odds and ends of tools. Some have become the basis for specialized tools I had to make.

steven c newman
10-09-2010, 5:33 PM
Some of these are "modern" , but most came from a real hardware store back in the 50-60s. In my late father-in-law's estate, there were over 18 slip-jointliers alone. I've kept the better ones. Sockets came from his uncle. The big old cold chisel was used in the Big Four Roundhouse in Bellefountaine, Ohio. Some of the old files are huge! All are Blue diamond brand.