PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Table saw question.

C Scott McDonald
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Do they sell extra table inserts for use with Dado blades? I went through the Hammer catalog and didn't see any.

There is a different arbor nut and spacer that came with it do I use that with the dado blade?

Thanks,
Scott

Jim Becker
10-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I know that with my slider (a different brand), which is dado compatible, I'd have to make my own inserts. They accommodate the US market desire for dado blade, but since they are a Euro company, where dado is verboten, they don't make the inserts. It may be the same case with Hammer, but it would be a good idea to call them.

Jeff Monson
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Rod............where are you?

I went through the accessories and cant see them listed either, best bet is call hammer, they will have them for you.

Carl Knapp
10-09-2010, 12:52 AM
There is a blank throat plate. You should have gotten one with the saw. It would have been in the accessory box. It is a blank and you run your dado blade up through it. The part number is 109FB $ 30.20 and they are in stock.
You may want to order two. one for 3/4" dados and the other for narrow dados. I would cal your sales rep.

Hope this helps

Rod Sheridan
10-09-2010, 6:03 PM
Carl answered the question regarding dado inserts, keep the one that comes with your machine, make copies for different size cutters.

Yes the spacers on the arbour are removed for dado use, depending upon the thickness. Use the appropriate spacers, and don't forget that your machine is limited to a 180mm dado.

Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
10-09-2010, 6:04 PM
Rod............where are you?

I went through the accessories and cant see them listed either, best bet is call hammer, they will have them for you.

In the basement running the shaper, making new window sills for my mom's house......Rod.

C Scott McDonald
10-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I looked through all the stuff that came with it and didnt see one. I will call Felder tomorrow and check on it. I ended up making my own out of hard maple. Took longer then I thought as I had to cut notches for some brackets for the scoring saw blade attachment. It works fine. I got a brand new Forrest Dado King drilled for Felder and it is amazing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/repairman87/insert.jpg

Scott

Mark Woodmark
10-11-2010, 6:39 AM
My Felder was purchased with dado adapter for the arbor, with this came a plywood dado insert. Also the standard blade insert that came with this saw is just plain dangerous. Way too much gap around the blade and the bevel in it for blade tilt caused small pieces to drift back into the blade and be kicked back. I dont know how many off fall pieces have been thrown out from this and quit a few sucked down into the saw. I have had to clean out the saws suction hose of thin scrap from ripping numerous times. I have replaced this insert with a UHMW insert I made. I took some work as it had to be planed down to the correct thickness (3/8" to approximately 5/16") and two notches had to be routed to the underside of this insert for clearance. Now I have a zero clearance insert that is much less dangerous. Have thought about remaking this insert so it will have a tongue that covers the access hole to the left of the blade. Not sure if this hole will cause problems, but it looks scary when the saw is running. The insert design on these Euro saws seem to lack the simplicty of traditional table saws. This lack of design simplicity in certain areas seems to be a common theme with the three Euro machines I have. This seems no more true than on my combination J/P. Tilting the jointer table up to use the planer and having to crank the planer table up every time I want to plane. It appears this design was to accomodate a pivoting dust collection hood

Mark Woodmark
10-11-2010, 6:45 AM
There is a blank throat plate. You should have gotten one with the saw. It would have been in the accessory box. It is a blank and you run your dado blade up through it. The part number is 109FB $ 30.20 and they are in stock.
You may want to order two. one for 3/4" dados and the other for narrow dados. I would cal your sales rep.

Hope this helps

I believe you have to purchase the saw with the dado option to get this insert

C Scott McDonald
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Also the standard blade insert that came with this saw is just plain dangerous. Way too much gap around the blade and the bevel in it for blade tilt caused small pieces to drift back into the blade and be kicked back. I dont know how many off fall pieces have been thrown out from this and quit a few sucked down into the saw. I have had to clean out the saws suction hose of thin scrap from ripping numerous times. I have replaced this insert with a UHMW insert I made. I took some work as it had to be planed down to the correct thickness (3/8" to approximately 5/16") and two notches had to be routed to the underside of this insert for clearance. Now I have a zero clearance insert that is much less dangerous.

I completely agree! The Hammer is the same way. I wrote down all the dimensions for the throat plate and will make several more for the different blades.

Bernhard Lampert
10-11-2010, 4:41 PM
You may want to check with the FOG (Felder Owner Group) on Yahoo Groups. John Renzetti used to make phenolic inserts for Felder owners. They are very well machined and contain all adjustments ( I bought several). You may want to contact him on the Yahoo group to see if he makes any inserts for the Hammer.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Brad Shipton
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
How closely did you look at your shipping crate? I almost threw mine away at first. It was carefully screwed to the crate and I didn't realize what it was until I first starting trying to use the dado head.

Brad

Mark Woodmark
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I completely agree! The Hammer is the same way. I wrote down all the dimensions for the throat plate and will make several more for the different blades.

Make several....good idea. I could probably make one for the tilted blade that would have less clearance around the blade than the standard insert that come with the saw. I may try to make one that covers up the arbor access hole to the left of the blade also