PDA

View Full Version : anchor seal2?

Tony Kent
10-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Howdy,
Which one are you'all using the original anchor seal or anchor seal 2?
Where are you buying it also?
hehe I am hoping on some fresh cut maple soon....yippeee WA. state:) I'll keep you posted.
Thanks in advance...
Tony

Chuck Jones
10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I have been using Anchorseal for several years on my sawlogs. I buy five gallons at a time from UCC Coatings www.ucccoatings.com. I haven't bought any since Anchorseal2 came to be. My guess is it's a fairly small change in formula to satisfy some "Green" marketing claims.

I have not been very satisfied with the results of Anchorseal on woodturning blanks. I'm convinced nothing is completely effective in stopping cracks except to turn the darn thing immediately... which is usually impractical. I'm having better (I think) results with melted paraffin wax. Someone on another forum said they are having better results with two coats of Anchorseal.

Ken Hill
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Ive been using the AS2. Two coats on most stuff here with decent results.

Terry Murphy
10-09-2010, 12:53 AM
If you had 2 coats on, how would it ever dry?

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2010, 1:00 AM
It's my undestanding that it really doesn't stop the wood from drying it just slows down the process.

That is why Bill Grumbine in his first video shows himself painting endgrain on roughed out bowls IIRC.

Norm Zax
10-09-2010, 3:48 AM
It is a misconception that completely sealed ends will prevent wood from drying. My logs receive a double coat of melted paraffin and some (those that dont get used) eventually become bone dry. Sealing ends is only allowing wood evaporation to become sufficiently slow, either through ends AND sides or just through sides.
BTW, AS2 claims "made from renewable, natural ingredients and less petroleum-based raw material, AS2® is a 'greener' and more economical choice for customers".

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I use anchorseal 2 and get it from Woodcraft. Two coats works really well. On rough turned bowls I seal the whole bowl with one coat. Tried it after hearing this is how Mike Mahoney seals his bowls. Works very well.

ed hoxter
10-09-2010, 11:44 AM
i have used the original, and the new stuff. the original anchor seal is twice as good as the new stuff. i always apply two coats. ed

Nathan Hawkes
10-09-2010, 1:12 PM
I have to disagree about the old vs. new, sort of. The old "regular", meaning non winterized formula, is great. I liked it too. Thing is, if it EVER gets close to freezing, it separates and cannot be re-emulsified--meaning, useless. The new anchorseal 2 is a HUGE improvement over the old "winterized" formula, which did require 2 or more coats. I still think the original is better, but I don't think that the product is any less effective. The new version is less viscous than the old, probably due to the glycol additive that keeps it from freezing. You have to try and get the coats thicker, I think. The new version is such an improvement over the incredibly runny and unsatisfactory old winterized formula that I'm not complaining.

Frank Drew
10-09-2010, 2:43 PM
I've never used Anchorseal as such but did use a lot of Craft Supply's Green Wood Sealer and got excellent results with it (for all I know it could be the same product with a different label). Like Bernie, I'd paint the whole rough-turned bowl; the bowls went oval, of course, but I think I never, or almost never, got any cracking beyond a small amount right at the pith, which I usually had at the bowl's rim.

And I definitely think end coating helps with wood in log or better yet half log form or blanks awaiting rough turning.