PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this Jointer?

keith micinski
10-08-2010, 6:59 PM
I asked the poster to get some more information about the manufacturer and condition. I also asked if it had a square cutter head or round. I would assume the owner doesn't know that much about it or he would have put more info in the ad. Also is it just me or does the outfeed table seem ridiculously short for such a machine. What kind of offer would you guys make considering it probably needs completely restored?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/1980815143.html

Gary Curtis
10-08-2010, 7:56 PM
The first obvious question would be how is it wired. 3-phase, I would bet.

And do you have space to park it in? Looks like it was made for milling really big, long boards.

Gary Curtis

Carroll Courtney
10-08-2010, 8:16 PM
I really like the older machines,but for me I half to have a need besides the romance of older machines.I have a 12" Crescent that when I use it you can tell the difference between it and the cheaper jointers.If you have a need for a 16" and it has the round head instead of the clam shell,you will not regret the purchase.I'd offer 500.00---Carroll

keith micinski
10-08-2010, 8:56 PM
It has a round cutter head and he doesn't currently have a motor connected to it. Roger B. Timmer Machinery of Grand Rapids is the only tag on it. He said he has motors available but didn't specify what they are yet. I am sure it was originally 3 phase but getting a converter wouldn't be a big deal. I have the room for it but I would have to buy it assuming it needs completely restored. For me I don think I am going to offer him more then 2 or 3 hundred. It looks like it is in a factory and they just want to get rid of it so who knows.

Jarrett Vibert
10-08-2010, 10:32 PM
It has a round cutter head and he doesn't currently have a motor connected to it. Roger B. Timmer Machinery of Grand Rapids is the only tag on it. He said he has motors available but didn't specify what they are yet. I am sure it was originally 3 phase but getting a converter wouldn't be a big deal. I have the room for it but I would have to buy it assuming it needs completely restored. For me I don think I am going to offer him more then 2 or 3 hundred. It looks like it is in a factory and they just want to get rid of it so who knows.

If it doesn't have a motor, why would you bother installing a 3phase type and run a converter?

Use the lack of running condition as a bargining chip, and size an appropriate 220v single phase after you get it in your shop.

Van Huskey
10-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I would guess the scrap price would be $250!

Frank Drew
10-09-2010, 12:54 AM
That is one oddball looking jointer; I don't think I've ever seen anything like that boxy base. And I agree, Keith, what's with the shorter outfeed table?

Josiah Bartlett
10-09-2010, 2:37 AM
This jointer was probably designed for pattern makers, who might need a wide board jointed but not necessarily very long.

Thomas Delpizzo
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
If it doesn't have a motor, why would you bother installing a 3phase type and run a converter?

Use the lack of running condition as a bargining chip, and size an appropriate 220v single phase after you get it in your shop.

Agreed!!

Moving looks like it'll be lots of fun! Good luck with whatever decision you make, it certainly looks heavy duty.

Jaze Derr
10-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry, nothing useful to add to the discussion, but Holy Cripes!! that thing is a monster!