PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin Wax

Stewart Crick
12-21-2004, 8:48 AM
Has anyone had any experience with paraffin wax, transfered to a board via the sole of a plane, effecting the finish of a project?

Stu

Steve Cox
12-21-2004, 9:54 AM
I've never had a problem with wax but then again I don't use straight paraffin. I use furniture wax, let it dry complettely and then buff it off.

Maurice Ungaro
12-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Camillia oil, or Renaissance Wax.

Maurice

Jim DeLaney
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Has anyone had any experience with paraffin wax, transfered to a board via the sole of a plane, effecting the finish of a project?

Stu

I use it all the time, and have never had any problems with finishing after using it. There's such a miniscule amount of wax transferred to the workpiece that it's just not a problem. I've used both water and oil based finishes, btw.

Tom Scott
12-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Nope. I keep a block on my bench for touching up the bottoms of planes and have never had a problem. FWIW, I typically use an oil, shellac, wax finish on my projects.

Tom

Stewart Crick
12-22-2004, 8:16 AM
Thanks to all for sharing your experience. I suspected this is what I would hear, but I posed the question because a tool dealer mentioned it as a possiblilty.

Stu

Jim Becker
12-22-2004, 9:45 AM
Any small amount that could be transfered to the workpiece can also be easily removed with mineral spirits...and since it's common to wipe the piece down this way to help highlight any machining/hand-working/sanding "anomalies", the wax gets taken care of at the same time.