PDA

View Full Version : New use for an old plane?

steven c newman
10-08-2010, 5:58 PM
I'm building a little sofa table. The front and back aprons have a nice curved profile to them. I needed a way to smooth out the saw marks, and make the aprons look the same. I grabbed my Stanley #110, and went "downhill" towards the center. I came in at an angle with the plane, also. I clamped up two aprons at a time, and smoothed them out. Near the ends, that old defiance plane smoothed out the transition into the curve. In the picture ( I hope) you'll see an old vise I use. made by monarch?

Jim Koepke
10-08-2010, 8:15 PM
This is where the #113 comes in handy. Absent one of those a spoke shave or a curved bottom spoke shave like a #63 can help.

Show us more as you go and when you get done.

jtk

george wilson
10-08-2010, 8:30 PM
You might really need to pad those vise jaws with wood or leather before you mar your soft wood's surface,setting yourself up for a lot of extra work. That is a machinist's vise,of course,and probably has at least worn,but still damaging serrations in its jaws. Even without the serrations,the footprint of the jaws is too small for wood. You could think about buying 4 neodymium magnets from Lee Valley,and embedding them into 2 wood blocks,to make them stay stuck to your vise jaws.

steven c newman
10-08-2010, 9:17 PM
All surfaces get a smoothing from a plane. The jaws are so well worn down that little in the way of marks show up. More pictures are over in woodworking projects thread. Although, I do have a couple of the M&T joinys being fitted. Chopped out by hand, with a couple of chisels. Chisels are just old "Made in China" types, that I resharpened. A wooden marking gauge was used to lay them out. It also left a line for the wide chisel to follow.