PDA

View Full Version : Mini gloat.

Randy Gazda
10-08-2010, 5:07 PM
I was in the Hartford, Connecticut area for a meeting and took a drive up to Bad Dog Burls (about an hour to the North in Mass.). What an amazing selection of burled wood and Rob Doyle the owner was a great host allowing me to look through all the wood. Much of the burl comes from Australia but he also has box elder, buckeye, maple, and other North American species. I picked up enough to fill a USPS priority mail box (didn't want another checked bag to fly home with). The pieces in the photo will probably end up in some segmented bowls. Needless to say a fun day look a fancy wood.

In the photo are red mallee, gaint mallee, a black ash burl board, and some extra pieces that Rob stuffed the box with. Also a banksai pod.

http://www.burlsource.com/

Donny Lawson
10-08-2010, 5:15 PM
Looks like a nice collection of wood.
Donny

David E Keller
10-08-2010, 5:15 PM
Great looking stuff you got there! There's nothing like beautiful burl.

John Keeton
10-08-2010, 5:35 PM
Those will look great in the right segmented piece! Nice haul.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2010, 6:27 PM
Wow - Great Falls to Hartford? Now that's a road trip!

Congrats on all the beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Randy Gazda
10-11-2010, 5:17 PM
Wow - Great Falls to Hartford? Now that's a road trip!

Congrats on all the beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Steve:

When I travel for work, I usually look at Woodfinder.com before I go to see if there are speciality and/or sawmills in the area. I like to go to the source if I can. As you know the hardwood stores only stock what sells, sometimes the mills and other places have very unique stuff. The black ash burls were huge at Bad Dog Burl, I had never seen or heard of them.

Randy

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2010, 5:27 PM
Well, that nice that you can combine business with what's important!!

Nice looking wood! Should make for some beautiful turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Congrats on some beautiful burl wood.

Claude Arragon
10-12-2010, 4:42 AM
Randy, could you tell me what is the name of the burl standing on the far left of your picture.
I have a really big one here which I bought from Tasmania with plenty other burls (don't ask me what I paid for transport, would my finance minister be aware she would have the government resign) but I cant remember the name.
In addition it looks like it's plenty of voids, all the black "veins" seem not to be compact.

Randy Gazda
10-12-2010, 8:46 AM
Randy, could you tell me what is the name of the burl standing on the far left of your picture.
I have a really big one here which I bought from Tasmania with plenty other burls (don't ask me what I paid for transport, would my finance minister be aware she would have the government resign) but I cant remember the name.
In addition it looks like it's plenty of voids, all the black "veins" seem not to be compact.

Claude:

My invoice says gaint mallee, however, I am not an expert on Australia burl, so for proper id, send it to me. LOL!:D

Randy