PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used Copper Wood Preservative?

John Finley
10-08-2010, 4:20 PM
Has anyone use copper green wood preservatives? If so, how well does it work? I am looking to paint the ends of some un-treated 2X4s and drive them into the ground. I would like them to last ~7 years before rotting, but I don't know if that is realistic. I need to do a lot of these, so buying pressure treated lumber is too expensive. Thanks for the help. -John

Jon van der Linden
10-08-2010, 4:29 PM
2x4 doesn't leave a lot of stock left if it starts to decay. Rather than treated wood or copper green, I'd solve the problem with good drainage & proper installation.

Placing the wood directly in the dirt will never be good or last long. I'd use a few inches of gravel under and around the post with a concrete cap. Avoiding contact with dirt at ground level helps a lot in terms of permanence, that's where most rot takes place.

John Finley
10-08-2010, 4:40 PM
I completely understand what you are saying and agree, but I have to put close to 150 of these in the ground:). I was planning to rip a 2X4 in half, and just drive it in the ground with a pole driver. Digging and putting in gravel would absolutley be better, but I don't need to go to that degree.

My project is planting about 40-50 small trees in a deer and elk-infested area. I am planning to put three posts around each tree and wrap in chicken wire. It won't be pretty, but it should keep the deer away until the trees can mature a little, hince the ~7 year timeframe.

Josiah Bartlett
10-08-2010, 7:29 PM
I would expect the wood to last seven years in the Spokane area without rotting as long as it didn't get infested with bugs. I would treat it with boric acid to keep the termites out of it and just drive them in. I don't know that the copper green would do that much good. You don't need much structure for an application like you are describing. I would worry about the copper affecting the tree. You could use cedar instead of Doug Fir if you can afford it.

Jon van der Linden
10-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't worry about it too much, the chicken wire will hold it together!

Chris Kennedy
10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
My dad used that on all his redwood posts for fences in California. They held up for at least seven years, and many a lot longer.

Cheers,

Chris

Cody Colston
10-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Termites will eat the wood up well before 7 years elapse. Even treating with the boric acid won't work because it won't last.

You will have to use pressure treated or naturally insect/decay resistant wood to expect 7 years out of it. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

The best thing to use in the application you are planning are metal T-posts.

scott vroom
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Have you considered using rebar as posts?

John Finley
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go away from wood and use 1/2" EMT conduit. It is $1.87 per 10-foot stick. I can cut it in half and get two 5-footers. Fairly cheap and will last longer than I need. Thanks again for the help.