PDA

View Full Version : Poly question

bob svoboda
10-08-2010, 1:45 PM
I used wipe-on poly for the first time on the maple HF I posted a couple weeks ago. It worked great. Coats dried withing a couple of hours. I am finishing a new HF currently and using WOP. It just doesn't seem to want to harden. After 48 hours it still feels tacky. The weather has changed, could this be the reason? My shop has been around 60 degrees with 60-65% humidity. The piece was sanded to 400 and treated with DO, left to cure for a week and then the first coat of Poly applied. Any suggestions?

Bill Bulloch
10-08-2010, 1:47 PM
My only thought would be that you didn't "Shake Well" before using.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2010, 1:51 PM
Bob - either the DO was not cured enough or the WOP wasn't mixed enough or is old.

I have had that happen a few times and was usually because I put on another coat - before - the previous coat was dry or because the WOP was to old. Had to use mineral spirits to wipe all the gummy mess off the turning - let dry really good and then start again.

bob svoboda
10-08-2010, 2:45 PM
Thanks. It may be old. I just bought a new can about a week ago, but it comes from a store that may not do a lot of volume with this product so it may have been on the shelf a long while. I do always shake it very completely.

John Keeton
10-08-2010, 2:56 PM
Bob, I think the humidity plays a large role, but can you do without the DO first coat in the future. Since it is merely a varnish/oil blend, I don't know that you accomplish much. The WOP will provide the same 'oil look' as the DO, IMO.

bob svoboda
10-08-2010, 3:27 PM
Bob, I think the humidity plays a large role, but can you do without the DO first coat in the future. Since it is merely a varnish/oil blend, I don't know that you accomplish much. The WOP will provide the same 'oil look' as the DO, IMO.
Thanks John. I'll give that a try. It will certainly make the process one step faster. I also went the the BORG and picked up a new container of WOP (from the back of the display), so should at least have fresh product.:)

Roger Chandler
10-08-2010, 9:00 PM
Most likely the danish oil was not cured when you applied the wipe-on poly, and that is what causes the tackiness.