PDA

View Full Version : Universal Laser Comparison

Dave Rawlings
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone.

I am looking at purchasing a Universal Laser and am wondering if someone can point out some key differences between the Versa Laser and the Professional Series. Assuming we're talking about the largest size of each.

Apart from the main difference being the Versa Laser is controlled from the computer entirely, are there any other major differences between the two?

Thanks guys,

Dave.

Mike Mackenzie
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Dave,

The only notable differences are with the power supplies and what size laser tube you can have on the system.

VLS only up to a 60 watt tube
PLS up to a 75 watt tube or 150 watt on the PLS150D

The software to operate is identical

The front panel on the system is slightly different in that the PLS has a few more functions than the VLS front panel.

Overall there is not much difference.

Dan Hintz
10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I find the control panel on the PLS useful when testing new materials (or sometimes when a substrate is not as well-mannered as it should be)... I can change the power on the fly, pause while I'm watching it work if it appears to be doing something wrong, etc. You can also choose to run previous jobs from the stack using the keypad, though to be honest I rarely use that functionality as I'm constantly tweaking and reprinting. Some may not consider that worth the extra money, but I find it useful.

There are other differences, but I cannot recall off of the top of my head.

Dave Rawlings
10-08-2010, 1:49 PM
Dave,

The only notable differences are with the power supplies and what size laser tube you can have on the system.

VLS only up to a 60 watt tube
PLS up to a 75 watt tube or 150 watt on the PLS150D

The software to operate is identical

The front panel on the system is slightly different in that the PLS has a few more functions than the VLS front panel.

Overall there is not much difference.

Hi Mike,

Is the difference in power supplies beneficial (one over the other)?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Rawlings
10-08-2010, 1:52 PM
I find the control panel on the PLS useful when testing new materials (or sometimes when a substrate is not as well-mannered as it should be)... I can change the power on the fly, pause while I'm watching it work if it appears to be doing something wrong, etc. You can also choose to run previous jobs from the stack using the keypad, though to be honest I rarely use that functionality as I'm constantly tweaking and reprinting. Some may not consider that worth the extra money, but I find it useful.

There are other differences, but I cannot recall off of the top of my head.

Hi Dan,

Can these adjustments on the fly also be made at the computer end or is this feature unique to the PLS control panel?

Thanks,

Dave

Zvi Grinberg
10-08-2010, 3:09 PM
Dave,

The power supply difference between series, makes no practical difference.

ALL the functionality and adjustments are available via the UCP (Universal Contril Panel). Furthermore - using the UCP you are able to easily relocate, duplicate, estimate.

The front panel display operations are quite usefull but naturally, due to less keys (buttons), the interface requires more steps and more time - and is still partial.

Mike Mackenzie
10-08-2010, 3:39 PM
Dave,

Only if you need the higher powered laser tube (75 watt) that is the only reason for the different power supplies. If you were using a 60 watt on the PLS the power supply that is in the system would make no difference.

The front panel can make some things easier such as what Dan was saying however if you are used to using one method versus another you would not see much difference with the operation.

I do prefer the capability of using the XY positioning on the system instead of in the UCP.

Scanning between files on the system is nice but in the UCP you have a visual mode so you can see what the file is rather than just going by filenames on the system.

Yes adjusting powers on the fly is also nice but you still have to pause change and then resume and you can do this in the ucp as well.

Dan Hintz
10-08-2010, 6:47 PM
Yes adjusting powers on the fly is also nice but you still have to pause change and then resume and you can do this in the ucp as well.
I don't believe I've ever paused... I change with the carriage on the fly.

Mike Mackenzie
10-08-2010, 7:18 PM
Dan,

You are right I worded that wrong in the UCP you pause then adjust and then resume.

On the system you can change it while it is running.

Dan Hintz
10-08-2010, 9:38 PM
Wait, so you can change settings in the UCP while paused? I had no idea! That would be useful for those odd times when I want to make a drastic change to the power...

I know I tried once or twice, but it always seemed like the UCP was for informational purposes only... I guess since I never paused, I wouldn't have noticed if it allowed changes or not.

Dave Rawlings
10-09-2010, 5:02 AM
Dave,

Only if you need the higher powered laser tube (75 watt) that is the only reason for the different power supplies. If you were using a 60 watt on the PLS the power supply that is in the system would make no difference.

The front panel can make some things easier such as what Dan was saying however if you are used to using one method versus another you would not see much difference with the operation.

I do prefer the capability of using the XY positioning on the system instead of in the UCP.

Scanning between files on the system is nice but in the UCP you have a visual mode so you can see what the file is rather than just going by filenames on the system.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Can you tell me what the air supply requirements are for the air assist (coaxial air assist) for the VLS6.60 ?

I have a small compressor but I think it may not be suitable

Thanks,

Dave.

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2010, 8:27 AM
Dave, I'm not positive, but I think I recall the numbers being 40psi at 2.5CFM which isn't done easily with a small compressor. The most important thing with air on a Universal is to have dry air. One drop of water coming through the system and you can wipe out your mirrors as well as lenses. It uses an air shield on the mirrors to keep them clean and the air travels through the lens/mirror box and through the nose cone, straight into the cut, so you can imagine what a drop of water could do to a lens or mirror that's getting hit with a beam.