PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll talked me into it.

Lamar Horton
12-20-2004, 10:14 PM
After hearing you guys talking this up I decided I had to have one too. :)
I ordered it today from Amazon $159.99 and free shipping. It won't get here until after Christmas but that's OK, I can wait.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000223K9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jim Becker
12-20-2004, 10:17 PM
That's a good machine, Lamar, and a great price. Every once in awhile Amazon gets them in for the $159 and they are a steal...good timing!

Bill Arnold
12-21-2004, 7:06 AM
Do any of you guys know how well this router works in a table with a lift? I have a Jet cabinet saw with an extension holding the router lift. The lift is Jet branded and is the same as Jess-Em. I'm using one of my Bosch 2.25hp routers in it now, but would like to bump up to a 3hp class machine.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-21-2004, 7:10 AM
Solid router choice Lamar! I can't wait to see the dust it makes.

Keith Starosta
12-21-2004, 7:17 AM
Do any of you guys know how well this router works in a table with a lift? I have a Jet cabinet saw with an extension holding the router lift. The lift is Jet branded and is the same as Jess-Em. I'm using one of my Bosch 2.25hp routers in it now, but would like to bump up to a 3hp class machine.

Bill, you will find MANY people that use The Green Machine in a router table. That is exactly why I got mine, although I have yet to put it into a proper table. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of debate on the best way to mount it (with springs in, w/o springs, etc.), but I think the overall opinion is that it is a great tool for a table.

Keith

Aaron Montgomery
12-21-2004, 8:09 AM
I've got one in my table - Love it!

Jim Becker
12-21-2004, 8:35 AM
Do any of you guys know how well this router works in a table with a lift? I have a Jet cabinet saw with an extension holding the router lift.
The Rout-R-Lift will accomodate "any" router, including the Hitachi. Just bolt it on and fully plunge it. I recommend you get some bent wrenches from Woodpeckers to facilitate top-of-table bit installation for convenience.

Mark Singer
12-21-2004, 8:40 AM
I have that same Router in my table and the the Router Raizer...it works pretty well....lotts of power and smooth

Ted Shrader
12-21-2004, 8:41 AM
Lamar -

Good choice on routers - good deal,too! You probably wouldn't use it before Christmas anyway . . . . :)

Ted

JayStPeter
12-21-2004, 9:40 AM
Wow, Mark's got 3 of 'em :D

I've got one in my table using the WoodPeck PlungeLift. The Woodpeck Aluminum plates are as nice as any I've seen. Flat and thick with nice removable inserts, good adjustment screws, and spring loaded ball bearings mouonted into the sides to hold it tight in the table. The Plungelift mechanism also works well. Jim is right about the bent wrench.
For the record, I sawed the ears off and removed the springs.

Jay

Chris Padilla
12-21-2004, 2:12 PM
Bill,

Head over to www.woodshopdemos.com (http://www.woodshopdemos.com) and do a search on the mods John Lucas did to mount his Hitachi in a router table. It might involve some cutting but John takes you step by step....

Lamar Horton
12-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Bill,

Head over to www.woodshopdemos.com (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/) and do a search on the mods John Lucas did to mount his Hitachi in a router table. It might involve some cutting but John takes you step by step....
I saw the mods he did and I expect to follow suit. I already have projects stacking up for this. I can't wait to use the door making bits I got at the WW show.

Norman Hitt
12-22-2004, 6:04 AM
I saw the mods he did and I expect to follow suit. I already have projects stacking up for this. I can't wait to use the door making bits I got at the WW show.

Lamar, John replied to someones post a couple of days ago that if you don't use a router lift in the table, you should take the springs out, but if he was doing it again, and was using it with a lift device, that he would just leave the springs in. I'm looking at a brand new M-12V and a Woodpecker "PLM12V Plunge Lift" that we eill install in my Buddy's new Router Table, as soon as it gets warm enough in the shop to glue it together.

The Plunge Lift makes an Excellent setup with the M12V at a very reasonable cost. You get the lift and Plate (already together as a unit), 3 reducer rings, a spanner wrench for the rings and a starter pin, for $129.95 plus about $7.50 S&H (ground ship--takes about a week). (See it at woodpeck.com)

Congratulations on the new router. (I forgot to mention that I have an M12V in my router table also).

Bill Arnold
12-22-2004, 9:48 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input about the M12V in a table. I just ordered one -- with my wife looking over my shoulder. She's quite the shopper -- insisted I order another Hitachi item to get the total over $199 to save $25. I added the hammer drill (refurbished) to the order to make her happy. Effectively, the hammer drill cost about $25 this way -- not bad. I really love that gal!!!

Happy Holidays!

ps: The info at Woodshop Demos was very helpful also.

Steve Beadle
12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Solid router choice Lamar! I can't wait to see the dust it makes.
Speaking of dust, here is an idea for a homemade dust collection attachment which, I think, is modeled on the Hitachi router. Can't remember where I found this. This would be used for topside routing, of course--not in the router table.