PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Models

John Myer
10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I have located two seperate DeWalt RAS on Craigslist. One is a Model 1511 for $125 and the other is a Model 7790 for $300. Each seems to be in reasonably good condition and each seems to be fairly similar. The 7790 uses a blade size up to 12" but if I purchase it I will likely use a 10" blade.

Is the Model 7790 worth twice as much money? Is there any stories of problems with the Model 1511?

My preference would be to purchase a Model GWI or a Model 1030, but I can not find any within a reasonable driving range of central Minnesota. I would be willing to wait for one to be listed on Craigslist, but I'm not sure how long the wait would be. I would really like to get something this Fall.

Any input about these models or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave Cav
10-08-2010, 1:50 PM
You might want to go over to Old Woodworking Machines (owwm dot org) and ask there, or check the owwm dot com archives to look at pictures of both and compare. There is also a forum on Delphi which is devoted to DeWalt RAS.

Homer Faucett
10-08-2010, 2:28 PM
This thread may help out. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146972&page=3

I don't really know much about the DeWalts of the newer vintage, but have heard the 7790 praised as one of the better "new" ones. I have 4 DeWalts, all round-toppers, in various stages of refurb--an MBF that I tore down, cleaned up, and repainted, a GWI that I bought in pieces and repainted and rebuilt (and gave to my Dad), and 2 GE's (one that my Dad helped me pull the arm off of last night). Out of those 4, I really like the GE's if you have the room and the ability to move the 800 lb. beast.

For a serious homeowner woodworker, the GWI is the most versatile. I'll let others comment on the 7790 and 1511, but I'd personally hold out for a GWI.