PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Chisel ?

Bob Warfield
10-08-2010, 9:34 AM
I just picked up a few Stanley chisels to complete my set. They are identical to 750's in every way except the way they are marked. They are not marked as 750's, they are only marked Stanley, made in USA. What is the difference, are they the same metal as the 750's?
Thanks...Bob

Tony Shea
10-08-2010, 9:48 AM
A pic would be of great help. I also have a chisel that I found that is very similar to the 750 with a red handle that is marked in the same fashion. But the difference between this chisel and the 720 or 750 is the beveled edge. The bevel on the edge of the chisel does not get as narrow as a typical 720 or 750 which IMO is one of the best features about the 720 or 750. But I do really like this 3/4" size chisel I have for chopping out large areas when I don't need to be in tight spaces where the extreme bevel edge is helpful.

What is the edge like on yours in comparison to a 720 or 750?

David Weaver
10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I never noticed a difference in edge-holding, at least not one outside the normal variation in 750s to begin with.

they just aren't worth much to a collector, and all of the unmarked ones I've had (aside from being marked "stanley USA or something") had a coarser finish than the older marked 750s.

That said, their finish is still finer than most of the moderately priced chisels made now.

Ken Shepard
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
The various lines of chisels offered by Stanley, as well as others, differ mainly in the length, presence or absence of bevels, and finish. Since the cost of the steel is minor compared to the other costs of producing a chisel, it would make no sense to use different grades of steel. The chisels marked 750 and 720 are generally beveled and polished, but the unmarked versions are, in my experience, just as good from a user's perspective. For some reason, maybe because Thomas Lie Nielsen used the 750 as a basis for the overall look and feel of his chisels, the 750s command a premium price these days. I have quite a few Stanley chisels - some are 750s, some 720s, some Defiance, and some unmarked. Other than the appearance, I can't discern any difference in how they work.

Ken

Tony Shea
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Just to clear any confusion about my earlier post about the beveled edge. I am referring to the side of the chisel, not the cutting edge. That is what I most like about the 750, 720, and LN chisels. The edge (on the side of the chisel) bevels to a very small edge when compared to other chisels. They almost can feel sharp while gripping the chisel from its' side. This lends itself extremely well to working in tight spaces without marring adjacent areas. My unmarked Stanley USA chisel has a thicker edge than my 750's or 720's.

Their edge holding capabilities are very similar.

Bob Warfield
10-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. The chisels I bought are identical to my 750's from the reddish handle to the bevel on the edges. They are ground the same. I have 750's in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, & 1". The ones I got off Craigs are 1" and 1/4" I would like to grind them down to 7/8 and 1/8" to help fill in the set. I only paid $12.00 for them, picked them up, so no great loss if I screw-up.
Thanks...Bob