PDA

View Full Version : Tools for the new shop

Donny Lawson
10-08-2010, 6:47 AM
I would like your opinion on this one.If you had a "Brand New" shop built (24x30) and wanted new tools for it and had 10k to spend setting it up what would you buy? Remember this 10k has to buy everything needed to get this shop up and running. It's just for a hobby for Small Bowls, Pens, Birdhouses, Toys, Hopechests, Bookshelfs. One more thing "ALL" the tools "Must" be New and not used.This will probally take some thought. Dust collection, Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Drill Press, Lathe, Jointer, Planer, Router w/ bits, Grinder, Air compressor, etc......
I'm still waiting on the Ins. to settle but it sure is nice trying to build this shop in my head. Let's see what everybody comes up with.
Donny

Chris Parks
10-08-2010, 7:30 AM
Number one is a dust collection system, the money left over buys the rest.

greg a bender
10-08-2010, 7:44 AM
I am / have been going through this same thing! With the same budget. So far:
New Delta Uni
New Grizzly Polar Bear 17" BS
New ShopFox 2hp Shaper
New Makita SCMS
New HF 2hp DC & Cartridge filter
Used (lightly) CMan RAS & compressor
Already had routers, DP, sanders and Inca JP
Still need / want Jet VS Lathe (and 12" JP)

The surprizing thing is how fast the 'little' things eat at your budget. Things like clamps, DC hose & fittings, bits, blades, screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, glue, finishing supplies etc, etc. I was "lucky" and didn't lose everything, but still, it sure adds up quick.

Good luck!!

Dave Gaul
10-08-2010, 8:02 AM
I would start with the DC system.. personally would go for a clearvue.

Good Tables Saw, Grizzly Band Saw and all the things you mentioned already. WIDE jointer, 12" for sure.. I'd add an open-ended sander, like the jet/performax one. Also, you will definitely want more than one router, one for the table, or maybe two tables, one for hand-held at least. Some will advocate a shaper, but I don't see the need for the home shop/hobbyist.. bits are very expensive, but they are cool for what they do!

You didnt' mention any hand tools. I've been learning quickly that a mix of power and hand tools makes for very productive work. Basic hand planes, chisels, files and the like. Gotta have 'em IYAM.

Gary Radice
10-08-2010, 9:53 AM
Too bad you have to buy new. Used tools are/can be a much better deal.

That said, I agree with Chris: start with the dust collector and don't skimp on it. With what you are planning to build, next I'd get a bandsaw and a lathe. I'm not sure I'd get a Unisaw or Sawstop. Instead, I'd go with a smaller table saw. Get a router and build a table for it. Build/buy a bench. Then spend the rest, if there is any, on good tooling and hand tools.

Steve Griffin
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
HA! 24 x 30 was my first shop and 10G was my budget (10 years ago).

In one quadrant, I had a circle of grizzly tools surrounding a dustcollection system. This kept runs short and cheap and easy with flex pipe.

The exception was a T-saw, which was in another quadrant, and didn't have dust collection.

The third quadrant was 4x8 workbench island on wheels. On the wall parallel to workbench was mitersaw and sanding stuff and a 24" counter top for setting tools and fastners(because a 4x8 island can be too small sometimes:D)

The forth was mostly clear floorspace for staging projects/materials, except it had vertical plywood storage.

Have fun! -Steve

Matt Day
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Even if I had $10k to blow on tools, there's no way I'd buy all those new tools. You'll save $4k by buying lightly used GOOD used tools, and you can spend some of that on more than just a HF DC.

Don't forget about workbenches too - those can get pricey quickly.

Philip Rodriquez
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
IMHO, 10K doesn’t go very far. In fact, my starter list for basic equipment would put you way over 10K.

For the first three, bigger is better:
3 HP Cabinet saw $2,000 to $3,000
8" to 12" Griz jointer with a SC = $1,000 to $2,000
15" Griz planer with SC = $1,500

2 to 3 HP cyclone w/ Duct = 2,200 (yes, they are that much better)
1 HP 14" BS with Riser = 1,000 (18" is not always better)
VS Lathe = $600 to $2,500 (I do not turn... but I hear VS is a must)
Drill press = $200 to $1,000

My list of must have layout tools for machinery:
One-Way multi-gauge = $100 (this tool is amazing)
36" Lee Valley steel straightedge = $69.50 (you absolutely must have one)
A-Line-it deluxe kit = $144.00 (the only thing to set up a TS)
Starrett 6" Combo square = $80.00 to $125.00 (I have a 12" and a 6")

Must have hand-tools:
Block plane
#4 to #4 1/2 smoother
Chisels
Fractional Caliper

Obviously, the list can go on and on. As a certified tool nut, I have 30k to 40k in tools. I suggest buying the big three, plus the setup tools, and add everything else as you need them. Everyone works differently, therefore, it is impossible to give a list that fits everyone's needs.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
IMO your $10K budget and NEW is going to be tough. As mentioned DC is something you need to invest in. A good table saw is a must for me. A good VS lathe is also pricey, and that is already half your budget. Also remember that the lathe has a very high hidden cost, that's the chisels you need to buy. Most of us turners spend more than the cost of the lathe in tools. Chisels run 50 to 100 bucks each, for quality chisels. A chuck another 100 bucks. Adds up fast.
You may want to release your new criteria, or bump up your limit. Remember hand tools too, if you're starting out new, and you don't have any. A plane runs 50 bucks for a moderate one and you could get into the 100's per plane.

Just my $0.02.

Justin Bukoski
10-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I just went through a similar exercise but with much less space and a much smaller budget. I decided to start with the basics and buy my way up. I still had a stash of Festools but the order would be the same:

track saw
router (ft bit and spiral bits)
dust extractor (the porter cable is a great value)
cordless drill
glue,screws
workbench (4x4s, 2x4s, MDF top)
low angle jack plane
bandsaw
tablesaw
plate for router table (table on saw extension)
respirator
broom
el cheapo j/p combo (its not great but it allows me to do basic projects)

at this point I ran out of money so I'm only doing small projects until I can afford dust collection. If I had it to do over I would have bought the DC before the tablesaw. Frankly I know better so shame on me. The bandsaw and router can do everything a TS can just not always as quickly. Its a hobby so I'm not overly focused on efficiency.

I dearly miss not having a lathe but I needed some flat projects for the house.

All told I spent about $3K and I've got to save another $5K to fill out the shop (DC, lathe, better J/P combo). My Festools are probably worth about $2500 and worth every penny to me.

So, short story long, that's my approach (with mistakes!). Starting a new shop is fun and aggravating at the same time.

Roger Jensen
10-08-2010, 1:10 PM
I'd buy a good tablesaw, an Amazon Prime membership (so you got cheap overnight shipping when you need something in a hurry) and put the rest of the money in a checking account until you know what you need.

You won't know until you need it what tools you will actually use, and then you'll know on a case-by-case basis if you should go high end or cheap for that particular tool.

For example, I bought a band saw with riser blocks early on because I assumed I needed it. Well, it has been gathering dust for two years. If I had waited until I needed it I could have spent that money on something I used more often.

Just my two cents (or $10K!:))

Roger

Van Huskey
10-08-2010, 1:19 PM
First, get to know the Grizzly catalog...well.

With the things you plan to build I would seriously consider forgetting the table saw and add some of the money saved to the bandsaw budget. I would get a edge guide for a circular saw for the times you need to break something down bigger. The Grizzly 514 series would be an excellent place to start.

A jointer/planer combo will give you capacity AND a lower price but a lunchbox and a 6" Grizzly jointer would be even cheaper.

These are just some initial thoughts, I'll try to come up with a full list but as you are aware that is a tight budget for all new machines and the supporting cast.

To everyone that keeps saying USED, the OP is pretty clear that is not the opinion he wants to hear for what ever reason.

Scott T Smith
10-08-2010, 1:38 PM
When I'm in my shop, the tools that I use the most are:

tablesaw
Dust Collection
Air Compressor
Jointer and planer
Workbench(s)
Drill Press (with assortment of drill bits)
Cordless drill
Sanders (hand and combo belt/disc)
Grinder (for sharpening).
Wide belt sander.

I would add an air cleaner as well.

A good machinists square, digitial dial calipers, tape measures, and various T-squares and rules are also used frequently, as are dead blow hammers and air nailers (brad and pin the most frequently recently).

Peter Quinn
10-08-2010, 2:55 PM

To everyone that keeps saying USED, the OP is pretty clear that is not the opinion he wants to hear for what ever reason.

I think his MO might be explained by "'I'm still waiting on the Ins. to settle". Insurance company need receipt to pay claim or something? Most of my present shop excluding the TS and DC were purchased used at a cost of roughly 40% the new cost. I got better equipment than I could ever have afforded buying new, but it took several years to assemble, and there was a little money lost leap frogging from smaller equipment to what I have now. Not the right option for all situations.

So ruling out the used option without explanation will leave a lot of guys scratching their heads. Of course you don't owe anybody an explanation, but it will leave many logical minds to question your assumptions regarding this shop building exercise.

If new is your only acceptable option, pick what you want from the Grizzly catalogue and learn to enjoy green tools with bears on them! Not a bad way to set up shop by most accounts. For reference I think I have spent half your total budget on clamps at this point, and the other half on shaper cutters and saw blades, one piece at a time.

David Hostetler
10-08-2010, 3:19 PM
I bought new, used, on sale and cheap. I have a very well equipped shop, just not with the name brands that make tool snobs drool... But it all earns its place..

If I had bought everything name brand, new, and still gotten all the function I have now, I would have EASILY spent $25,000.00

Donny Lawson
10-08-2010, 5:11 PM
OK, I will explain. I do have tools that were salvageable from my shop fire and some will clean up pretty good. They might be a little discolored but work fine.The Ins. Co called and let me know that there will be a depreciation value on all the tools.,and after doing some figureing it added up to over 4k. I was told that if I replace all my tools and save the reciepts they would refund the extra amount. Now is this worth buying new or taking the 4K loss and cleanning up my tools and using them? I was thinking about buying new and maybe selling my old ones(Maybe). For example my Ridgid tablesaw will need a few parts ordered (plastic) but runs fine. I can order a few plastic parts and use it and take the loss or buy a new one and save the reciept and get the full price back out of it. Then I could sell the old Tablesaw and make a little extra money. What would you do? I have a Tablesaw,Bandsaw,Jointer, and Delta 46-460 I can do this with. The Delta 46-460 lathe is about 8 months old. It's just discolored a little but runs like new. I do not have the paperwork yet to see how big of a hit I took on the exact items. I should get it next week.
Donny

Clint Olver
10-08-2010, 5:26 PM
I think his MO might be explained by "'I'm still waiting on the Ins. to settle". Insurance company need receipt to pay claim or something? Most of my present shop excluding the TS and DC were purchased used at a cost of roughly 40% the new cost. I got better equipment than I could ever have afforded buying new, but it took several years to assemble, and there was a little money lost leap frogging from smaller equipment to what I have now. Not the right option for all situations.

So ruling out the used option without explanation will leave a lot of guys scratching their heads. Of course you don't owe anybody an explanation, but it will leave many logical minds to question your assumptions regarding this shop building exercise.

If new is your only acceptable option, pick what you want from the Grizzly catalogue and learn to enjoy green tools with bears on them! Not a bad way to set up shop by most accounts. For reference I think I have spent half your total budget on clamps at this point, and the other half on shaper cutters and saw blades, one piece at a time.

Ummm...... pretty much what Pete said. Make a $10,000 Grizzly list, then compare it to you $4000 list with your cleaned up tools and see what you like better.

C

Van Huskey
10-08-2010, 6:25 PM
I was told that if I replace all my tools and save the reciepts they would refund the extra amount. Donny

Before I did anything I would want a clear understanding between the insurance company and myself, preferably in writing regarding the reimbursement of moneys to be spent. Normally you have standard depreciated personal property coverage or replacement coverage. What it seems you have described is a hybrid of the two where if you actually replace the items you have replacement coverage, if not you get the depreciated value. I have not heard of this but insurance laws vary widely from state to state and policy coverage varies widely from company to company and policy to policy. Just make sure you nail them down so you don't have a 4K check and 10K in tool "bills" if this is not what you mean to happen.

Donny Lawson
10-08-2010, 9:29 PM
What I have is a "Cost replacement policy". I get a depreciated value check on the items in my shop and when and if I decide to replace the item for the same or simular item I will get the difference back. If I paid $600.00 for my Delta lathe and the depreciation was $150.00 then I would get a check for $450.00. Then if I go out and buy another one just like it and it was $650.00 at todays prices and send in the reciept I would get back a check for $200.00. That's how it was explained to me.
Donny

Paul McGaha
10-08-2010, 9:59 PM
If I was having to replace all the tools in my shop I suppose I would make a prority of the main ones:

Table Saw
Dust Collector
Air Filter
Planer
Jointer
Miter Saw with Biesmeyer Tables (After having these tables for a few years now I'm sure I wouldnt do without them)
I suppose if I was buying new and limited to $10K budget it would probably be all Grizzly tools except maybe a Hatachi or Makita Miter Saw.

I think I would spend the rest on clamps, portable tools, hand tools.

I'm sure my shop is probably pretty modest to a lot of people but I've probably spent around $25K to date.

PHM

Van Huskey
10-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Donny, as was stated previously insurance coverage will typically pay EITHER depreciated value (what is called "actual cash value") OR replacement value. If you have a replacement value policy then they cannot require you to provide receipts to show you actually bought the items to replace them. If you have a replacement value policy then that is what they owe you. I suggest you check with the Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner and the State Corporation Commission in GA.

Get your policy out and look to see which type of coverage you have. Call the claims adjuster and start asking pointed questions and write down the answers. If something seems fishy ask again and ask for clarification. And if they tell you that you must purchase new and provide receipts to get your replacement value payment then tell them you'll need to speak with the OISFC. If they are yanking your chain they'll want to avoid any filing of complaints against them. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Thats what I was getting at what he described did not sound like a policy I had ever dealt with, BUT given the fact that insurance laws vary so much state to state I didn't want to make any firm statement. Generally it they owe you the replacement value with his type of policy and it doesn't matter at what or how he uses the proceeds, he could get paid for a table saw and buy a sander or a dress for his wife for that matter. My fear was they were trying to get a final release for the initial payment then say sorry later.

Kurt Cady
10-09-2010, 8:16 AM
My policy is the same. Just tools in the garage...er...shop.

If it's all stolen they will immediately cut me a check for half the value. When I replace each item, they pay the remainder.

The way it was explained to me, and I have a good honest down to earth insurance guy, is that doing it this way is a fraud deterrent.

But if you have this type of policy, why do you have a $10k limit? Go replace what you lost with comparable new items.

Tom Rick
10-09-2010, 8:29 AM
Any chance of finding a dealer who carries all the tools you need and cutting a deal on a purchase of the whole lot?

Seems like it would be worth the guys time to work with you.

Peter Quinn
10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
OK, I will explain. I do have tools that were salvageable from my shop fire and some will clean up pretty good. They might be a little discolored but work fine.The Ins. Co called and let me know that there will be a depreciation value on all the tools.,and after doing some figureing it added up to over 4k. I was told that if I replace all my tools and save the reciepts they would refund the extra amount. Now is this worth buying new or taking the 4K loss and cleanning up my tools and using them? I was thinking about buying new and maybe selling my old ones(Maybe). For example my Ridgid tablesaw will need a few parts ordered (plastic) but runs fine. I can order a few plastic parts and use it and take the loss or buy a new one and save the reciept and get the full price back out of it. Then I could sell the old Tablesaw and make a little extra money. What would you do? I have a Tablesaw,Bandsaw,Jointer, and Delta 46-460 I can do this with. The Delta 46-460 lathe is about 8 months old. It's just discolored a little but runs like new. I do not have the paperwork yet to see how big of a hit I took on the exact items. I should get it next week.
Donny

That was my suspicion. Since they will pay replacement cost for items replaced, can you just replace what is lost with new items of same or similar build and move forward? It seems your hands are very much tied in this. You could probable do well in the used market given enough time, but this won't get you up and running immediately if that is your goal, and there are no guarantes on used items. Its always a gamble.

Justin Bukoski
10-09-2010, 3:04 PM
What I have is a "Cost replacement policy". I get a depreciated value check on the items in my shop and when and if I decide to replace the item for the same or simular item I will get the difference back. If I paid $600.00 for my Delta lathe and the depreciation was $150.00 then I would get a check for $450.00. Then if I go out and buy another one just like it and it was $650.00 at todays prices and send in the reciept I would get back a check for $200.00. That's how it was explained to me.
Donny

Donny, my brother had some camera equipment stolen and it was the same thing with him. They send you cash on the depreciated value and then reimburse you when you replace them. Its basically to keep someone from just pocketing the cash on new stuff when what they lost wasn't worth that much.

Donny Lawson
10-09-2010, 7:59 PM
I don't have a 10k budget as of now.I will know next week of the real budget but I was throwing something out there to see how far I could get with 10k if that turns out how much I get. It's not just my tools but clamps,sandpaper,hand tools,radio, clocks and alot of things I cannot think of right now. You are right, 10k will not buy everything but it will get alot of the bigger items. My power tools are not extreamly expensive at all. I do not buy the 2 or 3 thousand dollar items.It might be nice if this was my living but it's not. Yes, I do make a few dollars from my "Hobby" but mostly to buy another new tool or put money back for vacation. I shop around and buy the items from HD or Lowes or someone local. Most of my tools are "Ridgid" brand and a few Craftsman so I think for 10k I can get quite a bit.Right now I'm looking at a Porter Cable 15" Floor drill press at Lowes for 299.00. It has a laser and a light.Looks nice. I'm just waiting on the money.
Donny

Steve Griffin
10-09-2010, 8:46 PM
I don't have a 10k budget as of now.I will know next week of the real budget but I was throwing something out there to see how far I could get with 10k if that turns out how much I get. It's not just my tools but clamps,sandpaper,hand tools,radio, clocks and alot of things I cannot think of right now. You are right, 10k will not buy everything but it will get alot of the bigger items. My power tools are not extreamly expensive at all. I do not buy the 2 or 3 thousand dollar items.It might be nice if this was my living but it's not. Yes, I do make a few dollars from my "Hobby" but mostly to buy another new tool or put money back for vacation. I shop around and buy the items from HD or Lowes or someone local. Most of my tools are "Ridgid" brand and a few Craftsman so I think for 10k I can get quite a bit.Right now I'm looking at a Porter Cable 15" Floor drill press at Lowes for 299.00. It has a laser and a light.Looks nice. I'm just waiting on the money.
Donny

Donny, sounds like you are in a great position. I am slightly disturbed at those posting saying 10G is not enough. 10G is a lot of money, and few in the hobby enjoy the space you have.

Money in woodworking is relative. I started with about a $1000 in hand tools and a few power tools in a laundry room. Then it was my 10K shop in a garage. Now I've been in business for 10 years,and my total investment is probably only 25K not counting the building. Even if I had a 100K shop, no doubt some 1 million dollar shops would be laughing at me. But it all started as a kid with a $100 investment in some carving knives. It's all relative, and sometimes money has nothing to do with how much fun you are having.

My point is, you are extremely lucky to have the ability to set up shop with that amount of cash. There is no doubt in my mind you could set up a super nice shop for that amount, and produce some fantastic work.

-Steve

Donny Lawson
10-10-2010, 9:31 AM
Steve,
Your right.I think even if I had 30 or 40k to spend I probally would put some of it toward the house or landscaping. I've been pricing tools lately and I think I could fix my shop up nicely for 10k. Lets see,
New Tablesaw(550.00)HD
New Bandsaw(400.00)HD
New 46-460 wood lathe(600.00) Woodcraft
New Planer(400.00) HD
New Drill Press(325.00)Lowes
New Jointer(450.00) HD
New Air Compressor(500.00)Lowes
New Hand Drill(65.00)HD
New Clamps(200.00)Lowes/HD
New Orbital Sander(50.00)HD
OK, I'm up to a little over 3,540.00 now and most of these tools are from Home depot or Lowes.Lets go futher,
New Bench grinder(120.00) Woodcraft
New A/C Unit (500.00) Sears
New Router (225.00) Lowes
New Lathe Chuck(225.00)Woodcraft
Few New Lathe tools(300.00) Craft supplies USA
OK, Now we are up to 4,910.00. Lets see more,
New DC system 4hp(1000.00) Grizzly
New Air Filter system(300.00) Grizzly
New Ductwork for the DC system(200.00)Grizzly
Air Hose Reel for Compressor(110.00) Grizzly
New Radio(150.00)Sears
OK, we are up to "6,670.00". What else am I missing? I know there are other things. Help me out here. As you can see most of my tools are around the 500.00 dollar range and for a "Hobbiest" they work great.I will add more as I think of them.
(2) New work tables@ 425.00ea(850.00)Grizzly. I can build my own Cheaper.
OK, It's 7,520.00. What else we need?
Donny

Steve Griffin
10-10-2010, 4:06 PM
Nice looking list. Good idea not to max out your budget--incidentals like saw blades, shelf brackets, router bits,sandpaper will surely add up to 2K or so.

My comments:
-$500 Cut the dust collector budget in half. I have a 2HP two bag system which can handle my 20" planer or 15" belt sander with ease.
-$300 skip the air cleaner. I have one, and only use it during clean up to help keep the shop cleaner while I blow stuff off. Buy a box of 3m dust masks 8511
-A $50 radio is plenty for my shop
+I'd splurge on a 6" orbital and Fein shop vac. Since you do this for fun, why not make the sanding go easy! The vac takes care of 95% of the dust. Could also use the vac with the miter saw, bisquit jointer and for clean up.
+$300 for a 12" miter saw
+$150 for a kreg or Beismeyer stop system for the saw.
+Kreg pocket screw jig
+12v drill and possibly impact driver set
+set of square drive screws and plastic totes
+vise
+200 wet sharpening system like griz. The ability to sharpen tools is an absolute must for woodturners.
+good respirator for applying finishes
-$300 if you go with a cheaper grizzly air compressor. I love my G0467.
?Jig saw.
? circular saw?

-Steve

Kurt Cady
10-10-2010, 6:17 PM
Donny, you can save at least 10% using coupons at HD and Lowes. That's at least ab extra $350 in your pocket.

I've had good luck in Atlanta having HD and Lowes match HF 20% off.

If you buy $2k+ in one trip, thr manager may cut you a break with no coupon required. Doesn't hurt to ask.

And my CC company gives 5% back to HArdware stores 1-2 quarters a year. More cash in your pocket

Donny Lawson
10-10-2010, 8:03 PM
New question........ If I could clean up some of my tools to good working order would you bother with buying new? The reason I ask is I have cleaned up the following tools... Ridgid 10" tablesaw(just needs a few plastic pieces ordered), Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer(needs nothing), Delta 46-460 Midi Lathe(just a little discolored but works like new), Air Pro 20gal Air Compressor(runs fine but will not shut off automatically now).I haven't figured out the problem with it yet. I'm pretty sure my Ridgid Bandsaw with riser block works but I haven't got to it yet.This all takes time because of the rust issue. Give me your honest opinion on this.Buy "NEW or use the old ones??????????
Donny

Don Alexander
10-10-2010, 9:40 PM
if you buy new are you forced to scrap the old "maybe" usable ones?

if not i would be tempted to buy new and clean up the old stuff a bit more leisurely giving you options for later

might be well worth your time to make a list from the grizz website and see what the price difference would be compared to your other list and i'm betting you can cut that 1,ooo Dc allowance in half and do quite well

HTH

Mark Woodmark
10-10-2010, 9:56 PM
IMHO the hub of any woodshop is the tablesaw, followed by a jointer, planer and router table

Mark Woodmark
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM

With the things you plan to build I would seriously consider forgetting the table saw and add some of the money saved to the bandsaw budget. I would get a edge guide for a circular saw for the times you need to break something down bigger. The Grizzly 514 series would be an excellent place to start.

A jointer/planer combo will give you capacity AND a lower price but a lunchbox and a 6" Grizzly jointer would be even cheaper.

These are just some initial thoughts, I'll try to come up with a full list but as you are aware that is a tight budget for all new machines and the supporting cast.

I agree with Van, check into Grizzly. Best bang for your buck

Mike Cruz
10-11-2010, 2:00 PM
You know, this probably won't be the popular answer, but here it goes. Sure you could go around and pick this brand of X machine, and that brand for Y machine, but if you are outfitting an entire shop, your "machines" can really only eat up about 1/2 of the budget. For example, you can spend $500 on a DC (bags/canister) but still allow $300-500 for piping, fittings, flexpipe, and blastgates. Clamps will eat your budget faster than you can say "I got my $10,000 insurance money". So, I would actually do this in reverse. I would account for all your clamps, hand tools, and all those accessories, THEN you'll know how much you have for equipment. And I would get as big as you can get and afford.

Equipment:
TS
DP
Planer
Jointer
BS (If you can, a 14" and a 17". If you are a turner, the 17" is great for resawing and the 14" for circles and finer work.)
Sanding stations (drum, disc, belt)
Buffer
Grinder
Lathe
Miter saw
Hand drills
ROS

Next, think about which ones you want/need to be the best of each. For example, if you are a turner, you might want to spring for a $1000 lathe, but skimp on a contractor's TS for $400. If you are a cabinet maker, you want the $1000 TS, but a $150 lathe for occasional turns might work for you.

There are a few machines that you might want to get at the Borg to start. Since you are a hobbyist, things like the Dewalt ROS and Miter saw are perfectly good tools. For clamps, let me tell you, while I'm NOT a HF fan, their F style clamps are very cheap gems if you are on a budget. JUST MAKE SURE you don't buy them online. Go to a HF store and pick through them to make sure the surfaces are parallel.

When you get to the point of ordering machines, this is where I might get a lot of slack from fellow Creekers. You seriously may want to bypass the headache and daunting task of thumbing through all the brands etc and stick with one brand and get everything there. Grizzly, for example, can outfit your entire shop with equipment. Do you have to chose Grizzly? No, of course not. But their prices are hard to beat. Do you love their any of their lathes? Maybe not. So get the lathe from Jet, or Powermatic (if this is you one "spend a lot on this machine"). The rest are things you need to be descent enough to do the job. Grizzly's stuff is easily that...at prices that can actually get you everything you need.

I would stay away from going Ridgid to outfit the shop because I haven't found there stuff to be really for woodworkers...more for home DIYers. Also, their CS didn't really seem to care. Grizzly's CS is good enough as it is, but if you purchase a whole shop from them, you can bet that it will hold even a little more power if/when something happens (with shipping for example).

Anyway, that's my two cents in a nutshell. Get the little things first. Pick one machine to splurge on. Get some choice things from the Borg. Choose one company and order the rest of your shop from them.

The best thing to do is research all the above before purchasing any of it.

Paul Johnstone
10-11-2010, 2:49 PM
I would like your opinion on this one.If you had a "Brand New" shop built (24x30) and wanted new tools for it and had 10k to spend setting it up what would you buy? Remember this 10k has to buy everything needed to get this shop up and running. It's just for a hobby for Small Bowls, Pens, Birdhouses, Toys, Hopechests, Bookshelfs. One more thing "ALL" the tools "Must" be New and not used.This will probally take some thought. Dust collection, Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Drill Press, Lathe, Jointer, Planer, Router w/ bits, Grinder, Air compressor, etc......
I'm still waiting on the Ins. to settle but it sure is nice trying to build this shop in my head. Let's see what everybody comes up with.
Donny

Sure I will play along. Here's what I would do. I'm too lazy to look up actual prices. The prices I am listing are estimates..

ClearVue cyclone.. about $1200
Ductwork, flex tube, blast gates for dust collection .. about $400-500
Hybrid table saw, with 52" rip width $800
8" jointer $1000
Lunchbox planer .. $300 (Upgrade later if you feel the need or if you have more money left over, do it now)
Handheld router.. $150
Large router for router table, homemade router table $300
Router bits, saw blades.. $300-400.. best to buy as needed, don't spend this all at once.. but a rip blade and a crosscut/plywood blade for the saw.
circular saw .. $100
Good jig saw .. $100

So we are at roughly $4800 now.
The rest is going to depend on what you want to do. For example, I have a nice lathe, but I just don't have the time to do a lot of turning.. So I can't recommend dumping a lot of money into turning unless you are sure you want to go that way. But if you are big into turning..
Lathe $1000-1500
Tormek turning setup $900 (or slow speed grinder + Wolverine setup.. harder to learn but less expensive)
Large (18" or larger) bandsaw for cutting bowl blanks.
Note.. This it the "hardcore turning" recommendation.. You don't need all this to just do a little bit. LOL.. I forgot.. there's a lot of money in turning tools as well.. You can get the Harbor Frieght HSS tool set to start with (I think about $60), but eventually, you will spend a few hundred on tools.. Also, you will spend money on chucks..

If you are more into furniture..
Oiled air compressor (last a lot longer than the oilless ones, IMO) .. $200
Pin nailer .. $150
18 gauge nailer .. $100
random orbit sander .. $50-400
A drill press is nice to have, but depending on what you do, not critical.. $300-400

You might also want to budget in mobile bases for all the tools.

I could go on and on.. but a lot of the choices would depend on how much turning vs other stuff you want to do.. There's going to be compromises for everything in life. It's best to optimise the tools for the projects you want to do.. A lot of furniture, I would skip the lathe and buy a bigger planer, for example.. If you just want to do pens and small things, then a midi lathe would be fine.

Paul Johnstone
10-11-2010, 2:54 PM
Donny

Buy new ones.. Get the insurance to pay, then decide if you want to keep the new ones or if the old ones are good enough..Sell the one you don't want to keep. I'm guessing it's going to be hard to sell used tools that have been through a fire and get a good price for them.

Donny Lawson
10-11-2010, 6:40 PM
My Delta 46-460 Midi lathe is fine. After taking it apart and cleaning it fully it looks good. It's just a little discolored but will be OK. That will save me 600.00. I just hope the burnt smell don't follow me to my new shop from my old tools.
Donny

Don Jarvie
10-12-2010, 4:09 PM
Do you get the money for tools that are salvagable like the lathe?

If so salvage what you can and pump the money into other needs like supplies, clamps, etc.

Donny Lawson
10-12-2010, 9:47 PM
Yes "All" my tools were considered a loss by the Ins. Co. so I will get a check for them plus keep the old ones.
Donny

Kelly Colin Mark
10-13-2010, 10:18 AM
If he gets to keep the old tools then the OP should definitely be buying new as opposed to refurbishing the old ones.

Would "buying" new tools, submitting copies of receipts to the insurance company, returning the tools unused (possibly for gift cards if you don't have the original receipt; I know Home Depot will accept returns without receipt but will issue gift cards), and then buying used constitute fraud ?

Jerry Moyers
11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
After seeing the vid on the SawStop I will not buy anything else. As soon as I can I will be upgrading.

I definitely agree about the DC. Also a decent air compressor for blowing chips into the next county.

Also I wish I had been able to put good insulation in my shop before filling it up.

Have Fun!!

Dave MacArthur
11-07-2010, 4:41 PM
Donny,
You said several times that the Ins co wants a receipt... but it seems to me that you made a leap of logic/assumption that it therefore MUST be new. I do not believe that any company would/could dictate how your spend insurance replacement proceeds, so long as there is no fraud.

Every time I purchase a used tool via CraigsList, I have a signed receipt from the seller stating the price. That receipt is good enough for the IRS for business depreciation, and I'd think it would also be acceptable to your insurance company.

You may want to clarify with them a bit more on their need for a written receipt to avoid fraud, vs. purchasing new tools. Your options are vastly opened up if you can purchase used.

Rob Holcomb
11-07-2010, 7:06 PM
Reading all the posts on your question made me think of this question....Ask yourself...Do I want to spend my free time cleaning and fixing all of the tools I can salvage and then do some woodworking, or do I want to do some woodworking and clean and fix my salvageable tools when I feel like it? To me it's a no brainer. Get your shop built, outfit it with new tools and later on sell the salvageable tools for what you can get. By then you'll have thought of more "must have" items for your shop. Another thought is this...Do you really want to be reminded of the fire all the time by spending countless hours trying to get damaged tools to be as close to what they were before the fire or do you want to move on and create some wonderful things that make you smile? A person's mental state after a fire is fragile at best. Why not fill your mind with happy thoughts using your new tools rather than choosing to spend many days dwelling on a terrible experience.