PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on glue to dry....

Mark Hix
10-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I have been working on some bowls while I have been waiting on glue to dry, trying to get some additional pens and ornaments for an upcoming show. These are Mesquite from a pasture. They are form the same stump, bulldozed and allowed to dry in the Great Texas Summer Kiln. Both are about 6" across, danish oil then rattle can finish. The cracks were all small and were filled in with CA. I love turning Mesquite, both the texture and the smell make me smile. True Love already claimed the shorter one of the two.

I have been working on form lately. As always, your comments and tips are appreciated

Ken Hill
10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Both look good, but I really like the one on the left!

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree that both look good, but I'm leaning more toward the one on the right. Mesquite sure is pretty stuff, huh?

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Really nice looking bowls. I like them both. Can't beat turning mesquite.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I think both are beautiful.

John Keeton
10-08-2010, 6:28 AM
Mark, I like both - particularly the one on the left. Getting that much undercut on the rim is a challenge and you pulled it off quite well!!

The other matches my tastes, as well, as I like footed bowls. I also like some with bottoms that 'exceed' the recommended dimensions, as this one appears to do. Some folks would say the foot on this one is too large (over a third of the opening.) But, sometimes rules are made to be broken!

In any event, since you are working with form, on the next one, you might try a foot 1/3 of the opening or less, and using a ruler/straight edge, force the straight edge to simultaneously touch the form at the foot, rim, and the widest part of the ogee. Place the widest part of the ogee 1/3 up from the bottom. It is more difficult than it sounds, but seems to produce a very nice form.

Randy Gazda
10-08-2010, 5:20 PM
I have only turned a couple of bowls out of mesquite, I agree it is nice stuff. Your two bowls are both very nice work.

Mark Hix
10-08-2010, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

John, I put a straight edge to this one to visualize your suggestion. I appreciate the advice and will give it a go. I always appreciate the help I receive here.

James Roberts
10-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Two very nice pieces Mark, I can't pick a favorite. Really love the look of mesquite, wish it grew here in PA.