PDA

View Full Version : John's New Lathe

Rex Guinn
10-07-2010, 9:09 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of John's New Lathe. I think he decided he needed more exercise.:)
163727Ready to sand163728

Roger Chandler
10-07-2010, 9:15 PM
John is truly into the latest technology! :D I think we could easily classify him as a tech-y! I just do not see how he gets these beautiful art pieces he turns from such an advanced machine.

It does have variable speed though, when John gets tired!

Steve Schlumpf
10-07-2010, 9:22 PM
That's cool! Guess we are looking at an Oak finial in the making!

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 9:24 PM
That's pretty cool. I'd love to use one of those, but I'm afraid it would lead to shrinkage of my turning muscle!:D

Roger Chandler
10-07-2010, 9:29 PM
That's cool! Guess we are looking at an Oak finial in the making!

Steve,

If John keeps that finial near the size it is in the picture, then I can't wait to see the hollow form! It might just be a rustic hollow form, like an oak rain barrel! :D;):D

Roger Chandler
10-07-2010, 9:32 PM
That's pretty cool. I'd love to use one of those, but I'm afraid it would lead to shrinkage of my turning muscle!:D

David,

That lathe would require some coordination..........I guess if one could walk and chew gum at the same time, then they might be able to power the lathe and manipulate the tools at the same time........

I don't know how long it would take me to get that exercise down :rolleyes::D

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Guys, anyone that can make a smooth spindle with one of these things deserves undying admiration!!!:eek: Talk about a learning curve.

This piece was actually on its way to becoming a toothpick - one spin at a time!:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:29 PM
That is just to cool. Really looking forward to the oak finial.:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-08-2010, 11:25 AM
John,
Remember, left leg in the AM and right leg in the PM. That way one thigh won't get larger than the other.

Baxter Smith
10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Watched someone turn a piece of oak using a springpole lathe last spring. It was a little rough, but NOT THAT ROUGH.

John Keeton
10-08-2010, 1:26 PM
Watched someone turn a piece of oak using a springpole lathe last spring. It was a little rough, but NOT THAT ROUGH.Baxter, keep in mind that I was the third butcher..eh, turner to chew on that log! I felt real lucky to be able to take chips off of it! Believe me when I say this - anyone that can effectively use one of these is a true craftsman!

James Combs
10-08-2010, 3:28 PM
Baxter, keep in mind that I was the third butcher..eh, turner to chew on that log! I felt real lucky to be able to take chips off of it! Believe me when I say this - anyone that can effectively use one of these is a true craftsman!

Is that from last nights meeting? If so I am glade I didn't make it. Looks to me like it could contribute to a poor heart condition:eek:.

John Keeton
10-08-2010, 4:42 PM
Is that from last nights meeting? If so I am glade I didn't make it. Looks to me like it could contribute to a poor heart condition:eek:.Yup, it was!! You shoulda been there - good cardiac workout. Ken Brooks, the guy that did the demo, does it for 4-5 hour stretches!:eek: Of course, he is as lean as a fence post, too.

Randy Gazda
10-08-2010, 5:16 PM
A local turner uses on at the local Farmers Market. It is very popular with the customers (no noise, etc.). Very cool.

I on the other hand am always looking for more power not less. LOL!

Matt Evans
10-08-2010, 5:26 PM
I still want to make one of those, but think that my wife would have a fit if I told her "Dear, the couch has to go. . .Setting up a lathe in the living room, since the dining room already has one. . ."

charlie knighton
10-08-2010, 7:00 PM
cool.......