PDA

View Full Version : imported orange osage HF

Michael James
10-07-2010, 8:20 PM
This is from Woodcraft, imported from SA or ??? 6" x 3" hollowed to ~ 1/4 down to lower part, which is prolly ~5/16". Gave the mini monster a good test drive and used my Jeff N swan neck for the shoulder. Also has about an 1/8" foot to keep the Buddha belly from sinking into whatever it sits on. The piece is rubbed with BLO, shellac, and antique oil. Will buff and ren wax in a couple weeks. The light reflection seemed to hilite different aspects of color to the camera. The side shot is the truer color of the piece.

Oh, and I learned that when you plastic bag a partially turned piece to NOT include the chuck in the bag...I could NOT believe I rusted the chuck in 6 days.... good grief.......:eek:!

I ordered the SW pottery book that Steve S refers to and will begin emulating some of those pieces when I finish the current stuff in the drying mix.

Comments, criticism invited.

ps - ok I know the photos need to be attended to and will redo the tent thing next time... promise....:cool:

Dennis Ford
10-07-2010, 8:41 PM
Very nice work!

William Hutchinson
10-07-2010, 9:04 PM
I like to form and the coloration is wonderful, reminds one of a sunset. Good show.

Cathy Schaewe
10-07-2010, 9:09 PM
i really, really like it! Nice form, beautiful color, great finish!

We'll have duel on the SW forms now that we both have the book ... :)

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 9:22 PM
It looks good, MJ. That imported osage has a lot more orange in it than the domestic stuff I've seen. The finish looks good. and the form is nice, too.

Mike Willeson
10-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I ordered the SW pottery book that Steve S refers to...

Very nice form! What is the name of the book?

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Michael, you scored with that wood! Very nice texture and color. Neat form, too. "The book" must be a very closely held secret!:cool:

James Combs
10-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Really like the shape Michael and the color is awesome. The shape is similar to what I was going for, for my No. 18 Plum HF. Mine was also a test of my new Mini Monster. I will be checking into some sort of Swan neck for mine also. I had some problems behind the shoulder.
Again I really like what you have there.

Michael James
10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Michael, you scored with that wood! Very nice texture and color. Neat form, too. "The book" must be a very closely held secret!:cool:

Thanks everybody.... I did a lot of rubbing that thing off the lathe to get that finish...

John,
No secret, just a lazy typist.... Steve S has referred to this book a lot.
Southwestern Pottery: Anasazi to Zuni. They have used hard and soft cover on amazon. second printing 1997

Oh, and looking for the publish yr, I have an autographed copy by both credited authors! Maybe I better not take it out to the garage...:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Really nice HF. Color and form look great.

Tom Sherman
10-08-2010, 6:45 AM
Ya done good Mike, great work.

Bill Bolen
10-08-2010, 1:45 PM
Love the form and finish. Well done...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2010, 2:06 PM
Nice work Michael! Have a very organic/natural look to it!

Congrats on the autographed book! How cool is that?!

charlie knighton
10-08-2010, 7:09 PM
very nice....

James Roberts
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Real nice HF Michael, I love how the grain sort of swirls across the piece, like it was draped on after you turned it. Beautiful.

Jeff Nicol
10-09-2010, 9:31 AM
MJ, I like it a bunch, the colors are soft and reflective. You are grasping the skills of a high class turner with ease! I thought of looking for a book on pottery and things, but I just went out on the internet and looked for pottery pictures from Greek amphoras to southwest style and I found thousands of pictures and stylings that I just downloaded for nothing. I have a clipboard in the shop that is bulging over with pictures and printouts, when I will ever look at them is another story, but soon I hope!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Paul Douglass
10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
That is one beautiful piece.

Michael James
10-10-2010, 6:28 PM
You are grasping the skills of a high class turner with ease!
Keep up the good work,Jeff
Thanks for the kind words... but it feels like I'm working for any gains I'm making. Catches, IFO's, spalted wood crumbling, s l o w l y.............:eek:
But I'm loving almost every minute of it, and that keeps me going back to it!
I've pulled down a lot of pics, too, but I really wanted that pottery book cuz most of those places mentioned are within 60 miles or so of my house, so the historical piece is nice and some names are familiar too - but Im not a collector.