PDA

View Full Version : For my latest grandsons...

Warren White
12-20-2004, 8:55 PM
Here are number 7 & 8 of step stools I have made as Christmas presents for my grandchildren. I hope the pictures turn out properly, I can't see them when I preview the post. The tops are made from quilted maple and walnut, with poplar on the bases.

These are patterned after the Kreg Jig plans, but this time I put all of the pocket holes on the inside, rather than showing them the way Kreg wants you to.

Finish is just poly brushed on with a foam brush. Nothing special, but I think it will hold up; numbers 1 through 6 seem to be.

Happy holidays to all!

Warren White

Lou Morrissette
12-20-2004, 9:07 PM
Real nice combination of woods, Warren. Great looking finish. Don't you just love making things for grankids?

Lou

Martin Shupe
12-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Very nice, Warren, and no, the blanket chest isn't finished yet. Too much school this year. :o

Warren White
12-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Mine isn't finished yet either. I haven't had the courage to tackle the dovetails, even though I will do them with the Leigh jig. I am anxious to get to it right after the holidays; it will be a major challenge, but I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for keeping in touch. I really imagine you are swamped during the holidays.

Warren

Warren White
12-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Real nice combination of woods, Warren. Great looking finish. Don't you just love making things for grankids?

Lou

Lou,
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, making things for family is really great. I hope the 8 step stools to be part of what each of them remember about "Papa." They all live close to us (within 25 miles), so we get to spend a lot of time together. It seems that most of what I make goes to children and their children. They look at things with a much more forgiving eye....

Thanks again, and have a great holiday.

Warren

Betsy Yocum
12-21-2004, 1:53 PM
Warren - the stools look great - but have to admit the cans you have them on caught my eye and gave me a good laugh. My roommates are always giving me a hard time because I use cans of food for a bit of a lift to bring things up to eye level to work on - just seems that 4 empty cans of peas is so much easier to work with then finding four of the right size blocks of wood! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has done that - I'll have to show my roommies!!

Betsy

Warren White
12-21-2004, 2:51 PM
Warren - the stools look great - but have to admit the cans you have them on caught my eye and gave me a good laugh. My roommates are always giving me a hard time because I use cans of food for a bit of a lift to bring things up to eye level to work on - just seems that 4 empty cans of peas is so much easier to work with then finding four of the right size blocks of wood! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has done that - I'll have to show my roommies!!

Betsy

Betsy,
The thought of using wood never occurred to me! To me, that is one of the primary uses of veggies....project hiker-uppers.

My wife really gets tired of having to open the bottom of cans because the tops have paint or stain on them. She just doesn't understand the finer points of woodworking.....

Warren