PDA

View Full Version : The tree trimmer cometh!

Josh Bowman
10-07-2010, 8:00 PM
I wanted to wait for the sap to go down before I got my forest of trees trimmed.....but walnuts banging on the roof drove me to have them trimmed and topped now. Well they've left me with walnut, ash, mimosa, cherry, oak, holloy and some mystery wood. While I was cutting some into future fire/turning wood, I happend across a little walnut burl crotch. With chain saw in hand I had it ready for lathe and the wood cutting came to an end. I thought I should take some photo's in case the HF cracks. The bowl and HF are coated with sealer with hopes of finishing them in a few months, if they last. The last is a piece of mimosa. The stuff grows like weeds around here and I had no real hope of it being much. But I sliced a piece open on the band saw and am surprised.

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2010, 8:43 PM
Josh,
With that much going on, I think you need someone to offload some of the, er, burden.
Hmmm, perhaps a nice visit to mountains to see the trees in color and a visit to Spring City as a detour is in order...

Nice looking piece of wood. LOML loves mimosa, but only have a small sapling right now.

Good thinking about cutting after sap has gone down...I've got a dogwood in that category...and who knows what else.

Enjoy!

Dennis Ford
10-07-2010, 8:45 PM
Good gloat. Mimosa is very pretty, one of my favorites but watch out for the dust when sanding.

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 8:53 PM
Congrats on the wood. That HF is great looking the way the heartwood surrounds the opening... I don't think I've seen a piece with that pattern before, and I really, really like it. I'm interested to see how the mimosa turns out... The little bit that I've turned looked great for a little while but lost it's coloring pretty quickly.

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice haul, Josh! The walnut HF looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Really nice haul. Great looking wood. I love turning mimosa but as was said watch the sanding dust.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2010, 11:24 PM
LOVE the orientation of the hollow form. That is way cool. Mimosas don't get that big around here, I don't think....

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Hope the HF dries in one piece - should be a beauty once finished!

George Guadiane
10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
That hollow form is brilliantly conceived! I'm going to seriously think about using the orientation at least once, just to see how it looks when I try it, but I GOTTA say, this R O C K S !

Mark Hubl
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Sweet haul off your property! That HF is way cool, can't wait to see how it finishes up.