PDA

View Full Version : Corel X4 Question

Bill Overturf
10-07-2010, 4:32 PM
I have Corel X4 on 6 computers in my shop all files are saved to our server. if I create a file on computer 1. the open it on computer 2. make some changes and then try to resave it, it tells me its a read only file and I have to save it to another name. Does anybody know how to fix this?

James Leonard
10-07-2010, 4:44 PM
Hi,

Is the file still open on the first computer? If so then that can't be done.

-James

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2010, 4:50 PM
What James said. It's not a Corel problem, it would do that regardless of what app had the file open or was trying to save it.

Bill Overturf
10-07-2010, 5:01 PM
No the file is not open on any other computer. We just upgraded to X4 a year ago before that we had 10 and never had this problem it is some setting in the way X4 saves I just havent found it yet

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2010, 5:14 PM
What OS is the server running?

Bill Overturf
10-07-2010, 5:18 PM
windows server 2003

Gary Hair
10-07-2010, 6:09 PM
That sounds like a permissions problem at the server level, not Corel. Does it do the same thing no matter which computer you create and save the original file on or is it just one computer that you create and save?

To test it, create a new drawing on each computer and save it, then try to re-save on every other computer. If the only computer that can save it is the original computer then you have a global permissions problem. If more than one computer can resave it then you have a problem with the computers that can't resave it. Unfortunately I don't know how to resolve it but I think that is what the problem is.

Gary

Mike Null
10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I've had the same experience and believe Gary is correct. There are probably one or two computers on the server which can save files to the server. Otherwise you'll have to save them on your machine and send them to the pc which can save them to the server.

Kathy Madan
10-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I've had the same experience and believe Gary is correct. There are probably one or two computers on the server which can save files to the server. Otherwise you'll have to save them on your machine and send them to the pc which can save them to the server.

Hopefully you have a shared file drive on your server and you have permissions set for all workstations to access it. If you don't know how to change that yourself, you need to contact your IT person for help.

Mike Null
10-09-2010, 6:57 AM
Kathy

It wasn't a problem to access the files--only to change them and that was the security that was programmed into the server. I understood why it was there and had no problem with it.

The owner of the company wanted this control to be sure he saw what was being done to the files before permanent changes were made. Makes sense to me.

Gene Hobbs
10-09-2010, 9:33 AM
under your original drive that the files are on. Click file sharing and make sure that the allow network users to chage files is checked.