PDA

View Full Version : Spindle sander rubber arbors

Dave Cav
10-07-2010, 4:23 PM
I have a Jet spindle sander for which the students have managed to lose most of the rubber arbors or drums. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source for replacements? Ereplacementparts dot com is rather spendy for a chunk of rubber.

Thanks

Kevin Groenke
10-07-2010, 7:27 PM
I'll bet they made some great stuff with those rubber cylinders eh?

How big are these spindles?

If they're the same as Grizzly, you could compare the $ (these also seem rather rich to me though it appears the shaft and rubber are a single part). Maybe Griz would sell just the rubber.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1071/parts/1

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/partsdiagrams/G1071_SPINDLES.png

Dave Cav
10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I was thinking of trying the drums from the smaller G0538 bench top spindle sander. They are quite reasonably priced. If anyone has one, and could measure the length, and, more importantly, the bore size of the drum or the O.D. of the steel drive spindle, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

Josiah Bartlett
10-08-2010, 2:46 PM
Can you measure the OD and length of the shaft for your sander? The Harbor Freight spindle sander has a 1/2"x4.5" spindle. I believe this is the same size as the Ryobi and a couple other desktop sanders. If they fit your unit, Harbor Freight can supply them if you call them.

Dave Cav
10-08-2010, 4:28 PM
Can you measure the OD and length of the shaft for your sander? The Harbor Freight spindle sander has a 1/2"x4.5" spindle. I believe this is the same size as the Ryobi and a couple other desktop sanders. If they fit your unit, Harbor Freight can supply them if you call them.

Good point; I have the HF/Ryobi spindle sander at home; I'll bring an arbor in and see if it'll fit the Jet.

Dan Friedrichs
10-08-2010, 5:20 PM
I'm curious what you find out, Dave. I have the Ryobi and am missing a few spindles. I was thinking of buying the equivalent-looking Grizzly ones and see if they fit...

Steven Satur
10-08-2010, 6:15 PM
Try supergrit.com. Good pricing.

Steve.

Anthony Whitesell
10-15-2010, 8:25 AM
Does anyone have any measurements for the equipment mentioned in the posts? I have a Craftsman spindle sander I received from my father minus 4 of the 5 arbors. I know that it is 1/2" bore and 4 1/2" long. The G1071 would be too long, but the G0538 might fit if I can find out the bore size. Can anyone help me out?

Curt Harms
10-16-2010, 5:15 AM
Does anyone have any measurements for the equipment mentioned in the posts? I have a Craftsman spindle sander I received from my father minus 4 of the 5 arbors. I know that it is 1/2" bore and 4 1/2" long. The G1071 would be too long, but the G0538 might fit if I can find out the bore size. Can anyone help me out?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to call Grizzly's tech support #, not their sales #. They might have the bore diameter, or could go measure one.

Anthony Whitesell
10-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I am not sure about that, the parts list on the website says they can't.

I am pretty sure it is a 1/2" bore, but I would like to be sure before putting up the $$$. If you notice the specs, they list it as able to use a 1/2" but there is not rubber spinlde for that size on the parts list. Based on the Craftsman designed one I have the 1/2" sanding sleeve goes directly on the arbor and thus there is no rubber spindle.

Anthony Whitesell
12-03-2010, 8:11 PM
Based on all the available information here and Grizzly's website plus some reading between the lines (like the fact there was no 1/2" rubber drum listed), I rolled the dice and bought the replacement G0538 drums. They are in fact 1/2" ID and 4 1/2" long. The 1/2" diameter sanding drum fits directly on the arbor.

Alan Schaffter
12-03-2010, 9:41 PM
Based on all the available information here and Grizzly's website plus some reading between the lines (like the fact there was no 1/2" rubber drum listed), I rolled the dice and bought the replacement G0538 drums. They are in fact 1/2" ID and 4 1/2" long. The 1/2" diameter sanding drum fits directly on the arbor.

That is how the 1/2" and 1/4" arbors work on my old Max OSS. Only the 3/4" and larger spindles have rubber sleeves:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_30441.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3067.jpg

Bruce Wrenn
12-03-2010, 9:41 PM
I have a Delta Sanding Boss. A couple years back, from Sears on clearance, I bought some Ryobi splindles which also fit my Boss. Seems like 1/2 "ID X 4 1/2" high is a standard size of spindle.

arturo ottolenghi
11-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Hello! Dave,
Supergrit Abrasives in Gettysburg, PA has these rubber drums for spindle sanders available for sale. www.supergrit.com or (800) 822-4003
Arturo ottolenghi