PDA

View Full Version : No. 19 - Spalted BoxElder Bowl - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Some of you may recall my No 13, a platter like bowl that I initially identified as apple wood. Several folks have seen that bowel in person and I have seen other folks turnings from the same wood and the consensus (as some of you thought) is that it was actually BoxElder. This bowl is from the other half of the crotch the first one was from. In the intervening months it seems to have "deteriorated" quite a bit from the wood in the original bowl. Note the dark gray areas. If I remember correctly I had to use my "80 Grit":rolleyes: gouge more on this one.

Stats:
Material = Box Elder (99% sure)
Height/Depth = 2"
Diameter = 6-5/8"
Wall Thickness => 1/8" (mostly due to the 80 grit)
Finish = 3 Coats of Waco Danish Natural Oil - Will Beal Triple Buff in a week or two.

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 2:23 PM
Whatever it is, it certainly is nice looking wood! I do think it is BE, and apparently still is wet enough to continue spalting/rotting!

Another nice one!

Dennis Ford
10-07-2010, 4:19 PM
Beautiful wood and finish.

Donny Lawson
10-07-2010, 5:04 PM
Very nice bowl. The spalting looks great.
Donny

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 5:33 PM
It's another piece of pretty wood, and again the finish is good. If I were to change something, it would probably be to soften the transition between the main curve and the rim. I might also consider narrowing the foot, but that depends a lot on your intended use for the piece. Most of the things I'm suggesting are a matter of personal taste, and tastes do vary. Nicely done.

James Combs
10-07-2010, 5:57 PM
Whatever it is, it certainly is nice looking wood! I do think it is BE, and apparently still is wet enough to continue spalting/rotting!
Another nice one!

The only thing that kept even partially dry was the dry summer. Most of my turning wood is kept just out side the shop door on the ramp into the shop. I'm going to have to do something about that...someday:rolleyes:

It's another piece of pretty wood, and again the finish is good. If I were to change something, it would probably be to soften the transition between the main curve and the rim. I might also consider narrowing the foot, but that depends a lot on your intended use for the piece. Most of the things I'm suggesting are a matter of personal taste, and tastes do vary. Nicely done.

I intentionally created the band like edge. It was originally about 50% wider until a small knot hole feel out of it:mad:. I was going to try wire burning some accent rings in the band and see what it looked like but then decided I liked it the way it was. My personal taste I guess.;)

William Hutchinson
10-07-2010, 8:46 PM
The spalted Boxelders' natural character is at full display in your bowl. The concave sides ending at 'band like' edge is an interesting design choice. I would be curious to see if a well defined transition and/or undercut would alter the appeal of the piece. In photos three and four there appears to be streaking inside the bowl along the edge. Other than some design considerations the piece would make a wonderful display item, it's too pretty to actually use.