PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hollow Form

Kathy Marshall
10-07-2010, 1:10 AM
Just finished turning my 1st hollow form. Its african sumac end grain (spindle orientation) used a small branch so the pith goes right through the center (we'll see if it splits), 4 1/2" tall, 3 1/2" wide, top opening and base are both 1 1/2". Sanded to 800 and just has a 1st coat of natural danish oil (will add more coats and then beall buff). It has some wild grain that looks like flames (had alot more on the bottom but got turned off to make it narrower.
The sides are not done very thin and only hollowed to about 3", (but hey, gotta start somewhere) was having a hard time getting it any deeper with so much tool overhang. The entire piece was turned with my easy rougher and easy finisher.

Thanks for looking!
All comments welcome.

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 1:38 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!

neil mackay
10-07-2010, 1:45 AM
Its definitely a keeper especially as its your first.

If your concerned about the split at the bottom. Try using thin CA on the inside and let it soak into the bottom, that should hold it just fine.

Norm Zax
10-07-2010, 4:53 AM
Lovely wood! Congrats on a first very convincing HF!

Cheryl A. Prince
10-07-2010, 6:05 AM
Hi Kathy! Be careful...hollow forms can be addicting! Arn't the "Easy" tools great. I have the easy rougher but not the finisher. You got a really nice shape for your first attempt. Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. Take care and keep turning!

Josh Bowman
10-07-2010, 6:33 AM
Great job, I really like the form.

William Hutchinson
10-07-2010, 6:43 AM
The Sumac is a great looking wood and you did a fine job turning the form. Well done.

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 7:32 AM
Nice wood and a great job! Nice to see you posting your work, too.

If you like the Easy Wood tools, you may want to check out their new hollowing tool. I don't own any of them, but it is getting some good reviews and I watched one in a demo.

Baxter Smith
10-07-2010, 8:02 AM
That is a pleaing shape with a wonderful piece of wood. Very well done!
Congrats on your first!

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 8:13 AM
Nicely done! Great color and a nice form. Cheryl was right to warn about the addiction potential for HFs.

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2010, 8:20 AM
Nice piece for first HF. The flames in that wood are really cool too, and the finish is very nice as well.

Hollowing is a hoot. I hope you enjoy it!

Steve Schlumpf
10-07-2010, 8:44 AM
Kathy - congrats on your first HF!

I really like the wood and all the variations in color! The flames are cool! Nice form as well - especially for a first!

Nice work! I look forward to seeing HF #2! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
That is really nice Kathy. Love the wood and form is really nice. Make sure you date and sign it. I would keep it to compare a few years down the road.

Michelle Rich
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
wow the sumac is great looking. nice shape. Good one for a first. You oughta be proud & rightly so

James Combs
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Nice piece for first HF. The flames in that wood are really cool too, and the finish is very nice as well.

Hollowing is a hoot. I hope you enjoy it!

Ditto Tim's Comments. Speaking of the finish, I use Waco Danish Natural Oil too but my turnings do not gloss like yours even after 3 coats. But then I rarely sand beyond 600 grit. Do you think the sanding would make that much difference. Check out my No.18&19 to see the difference.

Rob Cunningham
10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Really nice HF out of some beautiful wood. As others said, make sure you date it. It sounds like you'll be in the market for a hollowing rig soon. There goes some more money down the vortex:eek:

Ron Stadler
10-07-2010, 1:26 PM
Wow, that is a beauty, can I ask what tools you used. I wanting to do a hollow form and I want to do it by hand and not a system, not that it's bad too, just would rather learn by hand and a little less expense.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Boy, I hope my first HF turns out CLOSE to that good. Doubt it, though. That is just beautiful. Congrats.

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Ditto Tim's Comments. Speaking of the finish, I use Waco Danish Natural Oil too but my turnings do not gloss like yours even after 3 coats. But then I rarely sand beyond 600 grit. Do you think the sanding would make that much difference. Check out my No.18&19 to see the difference.

I think sanding can make a difference depending on the wood. I sometimes use my micro screen sanding pads (normally just use them on pens) and depending on the wood, can get a fairly good gloss with no finish, but I do always add some type of finish to seal and protect the piece.

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Wow, that is a beauty, can I ask what tools you used. I wanting to do a hollow form and I want to do it by hand and not a system, not that it's bad too, just would rather learn by hand and a little less expense.

Thank you!
I used my Easy Wood Tools, Easy Rougher and Easy Finisher. I just got them last week and this is just the 2nd piece I've made with them so still getting the hang of it. The tools are absolutely awesome! If you go to their site they have videos of the tools in use.

Dennis Puskar
10-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Very well shaped. Nice grain.

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great comments!

I'm thinking my 2nd HF might just be some texas ebony. I have a nice piece of oak burl from Cathy Schaewe but I think I'll get another practice piece or two done 1st.

Steve Vaughan
10-08-2010, 6:42 AM
That's a beautiful piece! And I love that starburst affect!

Greg Ketell
10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
That is a really pretty piece!!

Mark Hubl
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, that's a great start. The wood is beautiful and the shape is very good. Nice job.

charlie knighton
10-08-2010, 7:12 PM
very nice....