PDA

View Full Version : Small Oak Vase

Don Alexander
10-06-2010, 11:35 PM
a couple of weeks ago they cut down a tree right across the street from me
and for some reason the tree service cut a 10-12" thick slab off the stump part of the tree that they were very happy i wanted to take it off the site :D:D
the slab was about 36" in diameter and roughly 12" thick and not at all round ; my son and i muscled it across the street and into my utility trailer to get it to the shop where we cutit up into several large blanks

i took one of the smaller chunks and further cut it into 2 blanks roughly 5" dia and 6" long , i think this piece was one of the plainer ones from that slab , i know the wood is oak of some kind, the leaves were 4-5" long and about 1and 1/2 " wide sorta finger shaped and there were acorns on the branches maybe Pin Oak???? dunno but i think the wood was worth the effort this little vase is about 4" in dia and about 5-6" tall

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=420&pictureid=3976

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=420&pictureid=3975

sanded to 600 grit then abralon pads to 4000 3 coats of BLO applied on the lathe spinning at 1830 RPM or so please excuse the cell phone pics

the other piece is a Potpouri Pot? or maybe a votif candle holder depending on how i decide to finish it off

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=420&pictureid=3977

this one is shrinking and cracking quite a bit which i expected but it was mostly experimental in nature so i didn't take too much care with prevention measures :(

i definitely need to get a better setup for taking the pictures :o

all comments /critiques welcomed the few things visible in the last picture get me up to 6 as the number of things i have turned that are not pens/pencils i'm learning as i go

Don Alexander
10-06-2010, 11:37 PM
i just noticed that i failed to get all the fleck on the other 2 sides of that vase and the top of the rim is very flecked as well :(:(

sorry can't remedy that lack of photo documentation as the vase is on its way to my MIL

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 1:41 AM
Gorgeous and nothing like free wood!

William Hutchinson
10-07-2010, 7:17 AM
Way to be observant and picking up turning material for the asking. Turning gratis wood liberates me to experiment with form types and practice tool techniques. Looks like your turning addiction is becoming well established.:D

John Keeton
10-07-2010, 7:34 AM
My guess would be willow oak for the tree. Don, it looks like you are gaining ground on this thing - nice work, good finish cuts.

Don Alexander
10-07-2010, 9:10 PM
i guess the vortex got me good cause flatwork , which i used to love doing, now just interferes with turning :eek::D:D

David E Keller
10-07-2010, 9:26 PM
Nice work, Don. I noticed that you're already using your table saw to store turning related items... I'd say you are well on your way!

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Nice work on those pieces. Looks like you are using your tools for their intended purpose.:D