PDA

View Full Version : roughed turned green spindle project

Ron Stadler
10-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to say Hello. Hello, My question is, I turned a couple of lamp spindles from green red oak and was wondering what the process of finishing them would be, for now I bagged them like I do on my roughed out green bowls. So would this be the process, to wait till they dry and remount them on the lathe turn true and finish them or is there a quicker way of doing this. Anyone have experience at doing this, if so I would love to hear from you. :)

p.s. these are going to be corded lamps with light bulb and night candle lit lamps or oil, thanks.
p.s.s Also I might add these were taken from the trunk of the tree and were cut with the grain of the tree free of the pith, also I have not cored them yet and they have not been parted off on the ends so I can rechuck them on the lathe.:)

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome, Ron. I don't have any direct experience doing what you're describing, but I can get wet oak to crack just by thinking about it.:eek: I would be tempted to core them to allow for more even drying if you want to stay with the green wood. If they don't crack, you should certainly be able to return and re-core before finishing.