PDA

View Full Version : 6" planer

johnny means
10-06-2010, 8:06 PM
Anyone used one of these? Looks well made. Would be a perfect fit in a small shop with a 6" jointer.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/1991523095.html

Peter Quinn
10-06-2010, 9:07 PM
Manual feed on a machine that holds the wood captive between a table and a cutter head? That smells like kick back to me. I can tell you I wouldn't try to manual feed with my mini molder which is basically the same set up. There may be a reason they don't make them like that any more?

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
I would definately try to find a ~12" lunchbox instead unless you have a thing for old arn. Manual feed does NOT sound fun at all!

Bill Huber
10-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I agree with Van, I just don't think that would be very good for anything but nice long boards. I know I sure would not want use it.

michael case
10-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Nice for a museum.:)

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Has anyone ever used a manual feed planer?

Also since you have to supply the motor (upon rereading the listing) the bargain seems anything but, except again if you have a soft spot for old tools.

michael osadchuk
10-07-2010, 12:54 AM
.....and it does not appear to have any chip/dust collection take off....

.... for a small planer advertise for a Ryobi AP10.... the 10 stands for 10" width capacity.... I have this machine (as well as a stationary 220v planer) and it is compact and very rugged... I believe it is one of the first modern planers for the hobby market... I've seen some sold for as little as $75.

good luck

michael

Matt Day
10-07-2010, 1:14 AM
Based on the design, it looks like it's probably larger than a lunchbox 12" planer and most likely heavier too!

Gary Herrmann
10-07-2010, 7:27 AM
A lot of OWWMrs like those planers. They call them aliens, based on their shape.

Affinity for arn isn't a bad thing at all. But if you're looking for maximum value and non-manual feed, you might look at a lunchbox planer.

Personally, I think it's cute, but don't need another planer.

Rod Sheridan
10-07-2010, 9:08 AM
Definitely something to go on the display shelf.

Manual feed with the work trapped between the table and the cutter? Just how big of a kickback are you trying to achieve?

No anti kickback fingers, same as above comment.

No dust collection? Another strike.

It's a great collectible from a previous generation when men were men and safety wasn't a concern.

Regards, Rod.

Bob Pellerin
10-07-2010, 10:43 AM
For the question if anyone uses one of these, yes, I do.
For the issues regarding kickbacks - there are anti-kickback fingers on the in and out side - those long angled bars. The outfeed bar is set lower. And they work.
For the point about dust collection - nope. A large opening on the outfeed side is all you get. I attached a shop vac floor tool and it works fairly well to keep the cuttings in check. (runs through a chip separator).
And as far as operating it - no different to me than feeding the wood across the 6" jointer. No heavy cuts. If there's tearout - you'll know it. The maximum cut is 1/64 - not a production machine by any stretch of the imagination. Maximum thickness is 2-1/4".
You can flip the board and get a 12" wide cut if you dare - but the cuts on each side of centerline will show and tearout will show up on one half if you normally flip the board between cuts.
Cut pine, it's palatable.
Cut any hardwood and you'll be wishing for a lunchbox planer at the least.
Now to the most important question not explicitly asked - is it worth the money ($175)?
Absolutely NO!
For that kind of money (and often less), go get a used lunchbox planer.
Watch for sales and for not much more get a brand new one.

If you really want one like this, and want to spend that kind of money, PM me for arrangements and I'll use the money you give me to go get myself a lunchbox planer ... :rolleyes: