PDA

View Full Version : A little more burl

Jack Mincey
10-06-2010, 7:54 PM
Here are a few pictures of a oak burl bowl I was able to core of the bottom of the set I entered in the fall contest. It is 15" in dia by 7" tall. Finished with many coats of deft, but still needs buffing. The blank was deep enough to actually core two bowls off the blank without bark so I got 9 out of this one blank. My coring system has payed for it's self ten time over in the few years I've had it. Critiques welcome.
Thanks,
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2509.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2516.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2518.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2520.jpg

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 8:00 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW! That's an amazing bowl from the best looking oak burl I've seen.

Cathy Schaewe
10-06-2010, 8:01 PM

No doubt about it!

John Keeton
10-06-2010, 8:07 PM
Jack, I would have recognized that burl!!! That is some awesome stuff, and well worth the wrestling you did to claim it!

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 8:12 PM
Came back for a second looks already... Amazing! The wood actually looks more like black ash burl that I've seen. Wow.

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2010, 8:37 PM
WOW!!! I'm at a loss for words.... absolutely beautiful burl! You had to have been smiling the entire time you turned these beauties! Thanks for sharing!

Roger Chandler
10-06-2010, 8:49 PM
Ditto what David K. said..........WOW! WOW! WOW!

Rob Mathis
10-06-2010, 8:55 PM
Amazing wood!

Richard Madden
10-06-2010, 9:05 PM
Ain't nothing to critique, just compliments aplenty! Beautiful job on some really nice wood. Ooops...just drooled on the keyboard.:D

Josh Bowman
10-06-2010, 9:09 PM
What he said!

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2010, 9:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful wood and bowl. That is awesome.

David DeCristoforo
10-06-2010, 9:31 PM
Holy cow! That is some serious burl! The bowl is nice but the figure in the wood takes it to a whole 'nother level.

Scott Hackler
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Boy that is a fantastic bowl. Nothing wrong with that at all! Great job on showcasing that wood.

Rob Cunningham
10-07-2010, 1:02 PM
WOW that's some amazing figure.

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2010, 1:40 PM
That's a great looking piece of wood...I wouldn't expect that much from oak burl...but am not familiar with it in person. The shape is really pleasing and I like the weight of it, thickness wise. Beautiful all around, wouldn't change a thing, the eyes really pop on that piece too.

Baxter Smith
10-07-2010, 2:16 PM
Awsome burl Jack. Did you core these so they would be once turned then just sanded? I know where there are some large cherry burls so when the time comes, I will be getting out my oneway rig and have the plan in place.:)

Jack Mincey
10-07-2010, 6:39 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. It is hard to mess up when nature gives one this kind of beauty to work with. Baxter, I finish turn all the nature edge bowls as soon as I core them out, but leave the blanks with a turned edge like this one thick enough to return after they dry. This one was left around 1" thick even though it was 15" in dia. The burl was so complete in the bowl I felt it wouldn't warp a great deal. As it turned out the blank only warped a small amount as it dried but as all my oak burl does, small little checks form around around every burl eye as it dries. After turning and sanding to 220 I coated it with danish oil and sand the bowl feeling them with the slurry that forms.
Thanks again,
Jack

Baxter Smith
10-07-2010, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. It is hard to mess up when nature gives one this kind of beauty to work with. Baxter, I finish turn all the nature edge bowls as soon as I core them out, but leave the blanks with a turned edge like this one thick enough to return after they dry. This one was left around 1" thick even though it was 15" in dia. The burl was so complete in the bowl I felt it wouldn't warp a great deal. As it turned out the blank only warped a small amount as it dried but as all my oak burl does, small little checks form around around every burl eye as it dries. After turning and sanding to 220 I coated it with danish oil and sand the bowl feeling them with the slurry that forms.
Thanks again,
Jack
Thanks Jack. Sounds like a plan with the DO and sanding.