PDA

View Full Version : Scratch stocking accros grain.

Stephen Cherry
10-06-2010, 7:40 PM
I'm working on the shaping parts of the front side of the back on some strait leg Chippendale style ladder back chairs. It's basically a bead, followed by what I guess would be called an ogee going from the bottom of one leg, up and around the top rail (or crest rail or ladder), and then around the other leg.

I made the scratch stock out of card scraper material, and along the grain, it works great, but the problem is the rounded ends of the crest rail is scratching across the grain and I am getting tear out.

Any suggestions? I am thinking about carving, with a v tool, and then scratching.
Thanks

Patrick Tipton
10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi Stephen -

How did you sharpen the scratch stock? I would make sure it was well polished and that the edges are square and sharp. Like a card scraper, I have had success raising a burr on the scratch stock - if done right, should work fine across the grain.

Regards, Patrick

glenn bradley
10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I draw a knife line to act as a scoring cut and get decent results. I prefer to avoid cross grain scratching.

Kari Hultman
10-07-2010, 7:42 AM
Stephen, here is a post I wrote about scratch stock. Hope it helps: http://villagecarpenter.blogspot.com/2007/12/scratch.html

Roy Lindberry
10-07-2010, 9:32 AM
I'm working on the shaping parts of the front side of the back on some strait leg Chippendale style ladder back chairs. It's basically a bead, followed by what I guess would be called an ogee going from the bottom of one leg, up and around the top rail (or crest rail or ladder), and then around the other leg.

I made the scratch stock out of card scraper material, and along the grain, it works great, but the problem is the rounded ends of the crest rail is scratching across the grain and I am getting tear out.

Any suggestions? I am thinking about carving, with a v tool, and then scratching.
Thanks

If I could add a question that I've been thinking about:

Are there any suggestions for using scratch stock on end grain? I've only tried it once, and it didn't do so well.

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 9:48 AM
I draw a knife line to act as a scoring cut and get decent results. I prefer to avoid cross grain scratching.

Double ditto.

Difficult to scratch on endgrain, easier with a knife line, but not so easy to knife on a curve unless the stock has been sharpened to nick a line at the end of the gauge blade to imitate a nicker. It would take some accurate file work and honing, but the nicking tip at the end of the stock could be tiny and still be sufficient. Has anyone ever tried that? I've thought about it, but never did it, and have no idea if it would ruin the look in the bottom of a bead, especially if you're going to stain.

Could also set up a separate knife gauge set to cut the same distance from the edge as the beader - wouldn't have to run it very deep to avoid surface tearout.

Roy Lindberry
10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Any thoughts on end grain scratching?