PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Panel Raiser?

Matt Evans
10-06-2010, 7:26 PM
Looking for profiles for a panel raiser I plan on building. Anyone able to post a few pictures of some panel raiser soles, as well as possibly a picture of the mouth of the plane?

(I see pictures of panel raisers pretty often, but there is never a shot of the sole.)

Mark Dorman
10-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I found this and more at three planes site
http://www.threeplanes.net/images/plane_soleL.jpg

Matt Evans
10-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks Mark. . .

Trevor Walsh
10-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I borrowed a book about American made 19th century planes with lots on the H. Chaplin factory. I'll check there over the weekend for panel raisers and post back.

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 8:08 AM
Matt - I don't have a picture, but I have another idea if you decide to go traditional.

I had a john bell panel raiser for a while that I decided to ditch (I think newer planes with nickers and less mass are easier ot use).

Anyway, all it was was like an extra-wide skew jack with the iron oriented so that it cut all the way to the right edge of the plane, and two sliding fences so that you could set the width of the cut and the depth of the field. The first fence is obviously the same type of thing that a moving fillister plane has, and the second was on the side of the plane facing the panel, and the bottom of the fence was beveled to the expected amount of spring to cut the panel correctly (the bottom of the plane was flat, instead attempting to create the proper bevel on the panel by putting it on the sole, you dictate that instead by the spring angle)

If you make a panel raiser like that, but with a nicker, you have no limit on the size or depth of the raised panels.

(apparently, most of the early 19th c panel raisers didn't have nickers - its size made it a bit of a bear to use on small cabinet doors)

http://photos.liveauctioneers.com/houses/oldbarnauction/17395/0509_1_lg.jpg

This is the style, and size (the iron on the one I had was 3 inches wide - I'm assuming it was for bigger work) - I can understand after using it why they'd put handles on it.

You can see the second fence on the right side of the plane, though.

Be a great design scaled down in width (but not length) and with a nicker, and if it seemed a challenge to mortise it and get everything oriented right, you could mark it out and then do it in two pieces and glue it back together when done.

Ted Martens
10-07-2010, 8:21 PM
Matt,

If I did this right (first time to post pics, so I make no promises!), the photos will be of a panel raiser marked Wood & Macadam, Glascow. The iron is marked Thos. Ibottson & Co.; and it has a cap iron that is barely visible in the top view. The plane is 8" long, 3" wide, and about 2-1/2" high.
The bottom photo makes the inner edge look a little convex, but it's not; it's the camera angle that does that.

If you want bigger pics, I can e-mail the files to you.

It's a lot of fun on pine & poplar - not so much on maple!
Ted

harry strasil
10-07-2010, 9:21 PM
I reworked the picture in Davids post to show more detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/0509_1_lg.jpg

Matt Evans
10-07-2010, 9:23 PM
Ted, thanks. . .

Now to be picky. . .any chance of a shot from the rear or the front? just to show the profile?

I like that fence definitely.

David,

That plane does intrigue me. Will have to look around for more pictures to get a good idea of the precise mechanics though.

I missed out on an auction a few years ago that had tons of old moulding planes, most of which where handled like that.

I like the ability to do any size door panel, but am thinking that if I make one, I will likely make a few, so I am going to have to figure out what sizes(and profiles) I need to make.

Matt Evans
10-07-2010, 9:31 PM
Harry,

I seem to remember you having a post sometime back about panels. I could be mistaken as to the author though.

In any event, what do you use to cut panels?

harry strasil
10-07-2010, 9:40 PM
The one on the left is the $20 one I recently acquired from an antique mall, the one on the right was a quickie modification a long time ago, of an old skew angle dado plane I added fences to, to do the raised panel work on a wedding chest for a friends daughter. One of two projects I allowed myself to do for friends.

Ted Martens
10-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Matt-

Here's a front view. This one cuts a straight bevel, no secondary angle to fit in the grooves. If I let the plane settle in at its own angle, the bevel will end up around 5 degrees or so. But, the big advantage of raising with a plane is the ability to vary the fielding angle. That can be useful if the work needs a thicker or thinner than "normal" panel.

Ted

Matt Evans
10-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Ted and Harry,

I think that last batch of pictures just made things go "click" in my head.

I believe I will try to draw one out, and possibly get it started soon. Just got the lathe set up though, so I may have to do one or two things first on that.

(Of course, If I get really ambitious I might grab some steel and brass, turn a few adjustment screws and make a metal panel raiser. That is an unlikely scenario, but it may happen eventually.)

Thanks for the pictures and the help!

Derek Cohen
10-08-2010, 5:42 AM
Looking for profiles for a panel raiser I plan on building. Anyone able to post a few pictures of some panel raiser soles, as well as possibly a picture of the mouth of the plane?

(I see pictures of panel raisers pretty often, but there is never a shot of the sole.)

Matt, unless you are looking into a panel raiser that creates a molded profile, in other words, if you are simply looking for a plane to create a flat, angled surface, then you may find it useful to look at the Veritas Skew Rabbet Plane.

With the long fence rods and a shaped fence, this will do all you ask (and more).

Here is a picture of the fence I added to mine ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Raisingapanel_html_50ead493.jpg

And completed raised panels ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Raisingapanel_html_3d5d8ae8.jpg

Tutorial on using the Veritas Skew Rabbet Plane to form raised panels ...
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Raisingapanel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Hammers
10-08-2010, 5:20 PM
Here is the one I got from Phil at Philly Planes across the pond...

Matt Evans
10-08-2010, 5:29 PM
Matt, unless you are looking into a panel raiser that creates a molded profile, in other words, if you are simply looking for a plane to create a flat, angled surface, then you may find it useful to look at the Veritas Skew Rabbet Plane.

With the long fence rods and a shaped fence, this will do all you ask (and more).
..........(snip)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, That would be great, but thats about 250 bucks + shipping above my budget at the moment. I do have tool steel though, and can get wood in small quantities.

Here is the one I got from Phil at Philly Planes across the pond...

Thanks Michael. That looks like a nice plane. . .is it European beech or the American variety?

Michael Hammers
10-08-2010, 5:40 PM
Oh it is European Beech!!